Bad experience at the villages hospital

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2018, 10:10 PM
Default Bad experience at the villages hospital

My daughter had a bad experience at The Villages Hospital. She went to the ER because she has a kidney stone and was in very bad pain and throwing up every time she ate. All they did was do some blood work and then she sat for hours before they called her back. After several more hours they said they do not have a urologist on call and just sent her home. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT?!!!!

You would think a hospital would be able to help someone with a kidney stone and had such bad pain, but, nope.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Veteran member

There's plenty wrong with that and what a shame.
I hope you never have to, but next time go to Ocala.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,156 Times in 2,250 Posts

Back up north (2006), I had the same health problem, spent a few hours in the ER, they gave me something for the pain, took a picture of the kidney stone, confirming I had a stone, gave me the name of a suitable doctor, and sent me home with some pills for the pain until I could get to the doctor.

So while I completely understand the OP complaint, this may be the norm, a kidney stone is not necessarily an emergency. NOTE: having experienced this I completely disagree with any discussion that states a kidney stone attack is not emergency, the pain was horrible.
Old 01-31-2018, 01:16 AM
Veteran member

I stay away from their ER. They sent the wife home and she wound up in Leesburgh ICU the following day. Refuse to admit her. Come to find out she had septic infection had dialysis and blood transfusions in Leesburg
Old 01-31-2018, 07:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8trix View Post
My daughter had a bad experience at The Villages Hospital. She went to the ER because she has a kidney stone and was in very bad pain and throwing up every time she ate. All they did was do some blood work and then she sat for hours before they called her back. After several more hours they said they do not have a urologist on call and just sent her home. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT?!!!!

You would think a hospital would be able to help someone with a kidney stone and had such bad pain, but, nope.
Answer: There is NOTHING wrong with that, in fact, THAT IS the standard of care nationwide.

Appropriate treatment is to confirm the presence of a renal calculus with a stone protocol spiral CT, then send the patient home with pain meds, anti-emetics, and instructions to hydrate well and strain all urine. The patient should have a follow up outpatient appointment with a urologist 1-2 weeks later. BUT....the patient should also receive strict instructions to return to the ER if they have INTRACTABLE pain, INTRACTABLE nausea and vomiting, or a fever over 101F. Note: intractable means it won't stop, not just a few episodes of vomiting or low-moderate level of pain---they'll just up the meds and send you back home.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Answer: There is NOTHING wrong with that, in fact, THAT IS the standard of care nationwide.

Appropriate treatment is to confirm the presence of a renal calculus with a stone protocol spiral CT, then send the patient home with pain meds, anti-emetics, and instructions to hydrate well and strain all urine. The patient should have a follow up outpatient appointment with a urologist 1-2 weeks later. BUT....the patient should also receive strict instructions to return to the ER if they have INTRACTABLE pain, INTRACTABLE nausea and vomiting, or a fever over 101F. Note: intractable means it won't stop, not just a few episodes of vomiting or low-moderate level of pain---they'll just up the meds and send you back home.
Yep. I have had so many kidney stones over the years that I lost count. There is nothing to do except wait it out.

Oh. Welcome to The Villages. Hopefully you will find lots of positives about your decision to live here.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8trix View Post

And then what happened after returning home?
Old 01-31-2018, 10:20 AM
Eternal Member

Yep, take pain meds, if you need them, drink lots of fluids, water, etc. and wait for it to pass.
Old 01-31-2018, 10:10 PM

When the Villages sales staff finally figure it out they will STOP building. The medical system in central Florida is totally BROKE!
Old 02-01-2018, 01:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
When the Villages sales staff finally figure it out they will STOP building. The medical system in central Florida is totally BROKE!
Has not one iota thing to do with the sales staff. The whole American Health System is what needs fixing but dialogue on social media and complaining about "here" is non-productive though it seems to help folks vent!
Old 02-01-2018, 05:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
I absolutely find nothing valid about this post. The builder builds buildings and homes. The builder leases The Hospital buildings to a company that runs hospitals.

Florida in general does not have the quality medical systems you find in areas that have large teaching hospitals and those who have money for valid research like Boston or Houston or Cincinnati.

This is a small town compared to large metropolitan areas that many of us lived in or close to.

If our builder stopped building as this poster wishes, there would be a hundred small builders to take their place. Florida is going to grow in population for sure as ten thousand baby boomers are retiring every day and will for the next thirteen years. I would rather have them live in the well ordered growth that is The Villages.

NO, I don't know the Morses and NO, I don't sell real estate and never did.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Fort Lauderdale

You want a real experience go to the Emergency Room at the Ft Lauderdale. Hospital. Relative waited 18 hours in ER in terrible pain. Saw ambulance outside, copied its number and called them to come. Relative signed self out and went to Hospital in Stuart Florida. Seen right away and operated on immediately and told they would not have made it beyond another 24 hours. The waiting room in Ft Lauderdale was very crowded with potential patients a great number looked like drug problems, etc. We would not use Village Hospital if we had at least 3 hours and could get to Mayo in Jacksonville but glad it is available "just in case"!!
Old 02-01-2018, 08:31 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I absolutely find nothing valid about this post. The builder builds buildings and homes. The builder leases The Hospital buildings to a company that runs hospitals.

Florida in general does not have the quality medical systems you find in areas that have large teaching hospitals and those who have money for valid research like Boston or Houston or Cincinnati.

This is a small town compared to large metropolitan areas that many of us lived in or close to.

If our builder stopped building as this poster wishes, there would be a hundred small builders to take their place. Florida is going to grow in population for sure as ten thousand baby boomers are retiring every day and will for the next thirteen years. I would rather have them live in the well ordered growth that is The Villages.
NO, I don't know the Morses and NO, I don't sell real estate and never did.
Your post is spot on.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
You want a real experience go to the Emergency Room at the Ft Lauderdale. Hospital. Relative waited 18 hours in ER in terrible pain. Saw ambulance outside, copied its number and called them to come. Relative signed self out and went to Hospital in Stuart Florida. Seen right away and operated on immediately and told they would not have made it beyond another 24 hours. The waiting room in Ft Lauderdale was very crowded with potential patients a great number looked like drug problems, etc. We would not use Village Hospital if we had at least 3 hours and could get to Mayo in Jacksonville but glad it is available "just in case"!!
Except, once you chance the 3 hour drive, how long is the wait in the ER at Mayo? Jacksonville is the largest city in FL, so that many more drug problems, etc. Also, you might have insurance issues since Mayo does not accept many insurances as payment in full.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:37 AM
Sage

I don't see that you have provided any data/evidence to support this claim, which I recall you have made in the past. Moffitt and UofFL/Shands are a bit over an hour away and Mayo is about 2.5 hours away. They are not, however, applicable for us for emergency care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Closed Thread

Tags
bad, hospital, stone, kidney, pain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.