Bad experience at the villages hospital

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2018, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I don't see that you have provided any data/evidence to support this claim, which I recall you have made in the past. Moffitt and UofFL/Shands are a bit over an hour away and Mayo is about 2.5 hours away. They are not, however, applicable for us for emergency care.
I think Moffitt and Gainesville both have very good reputations and large teaching hospitals. Moffitt is said to be the third best Cancer Center in this Country after Sloan Kettering and M.D. Anderson in Houston. Gainesville is also held in esteem by many astute people. The Mayo Satellite is also regarded highly.

But it is my personal opinion that many parts of Florida still lack excellent medical facilities, but that too is changing. A rising tide (and savvy population) lifts all ships.

EDITED. MOFFIT IS NOT THE THIRD BEST CANCER CENTER. I was wrong.

Last edited by graciegirl; 02-01-2018 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:14 AM

Just what I mean. Supply and demand. Too many retirees.....to few medical personnel. What aspiring young doctor wants to live in central Florida. Med schools are not pumping out PCP's, they simply don't make any money and have to deal with all the government mandates. And to think that many want government to control medical care? I'm talking in broad generalities, but the best care is in metro areas. JMHO
Old 02-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Sage

The term "lacking" is a poor choice of words. No parts of FL are "lacking" excellent medical facilities - you simply may have to travel a bit further depending on where you live, and this is true for the rest of the country. This may be problematic under certain circumstances (although at least Moffitt and Mayo have extended stay facilities) as it can be regardless of what state you live in but trying to label FL as being lacking in this department is disingenuous. In fact, I would suggest that we have excellent choices. What parts of FL have you lived in, besides The Villages, that would lead you to your conclusion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think Moffitt and Gainesville both have very good reputations and large teaching hospitals. Moffitt is said to be the third best Cancer Center in this Country after Sloan Kettering and M.D. Anderson in Houston. Gainesville is also held in esteem by many astute people. The Mayo Satellite is also regarded highly.

But it is my personal opinion that many parts of Florida still lack excellent medical facilities, but that too is changing. A rising tide (and savvy population) lifts all ships.

Last edited by biker1; 02-01-2018 at 01:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Lightbulb Top 5 Cancer Hospitals

Just to clear the air. Moffit is not #3 in the US when it comes to cancer. The top 5 are; MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Mayo, Dana Farber, UCLA Medical Center. Moffit is rated well but not # 3. An opinion from someone who has been to most of them including Moffitt is as one expert noted a lot of the rating is based on good PR to get a high ranking. I think my ranking would be Mayo, Lahey Clinic in Arlington, Mass, Sloan Kettering. Have personal issues with MD Anderson and Moffitt. Just some thoughts.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Answer: There is NOTHING wrong with that, in fact, THAT IS the standard of care nationwide.

Appropriate treatment is to confirm the presence of a renal calculus with a stone protocol spiral CT, then send the patient home with pain meds, anti-emetics, and instructions to hydrate well and strain all urine. The patient should have a follow up outpatient appointment with a urologist 1-2 weeks later. BUT....the patient should also receive strict instructions to return to the ER if they have INTRACTABLE pain, INTRACTABLE nausea and vomiting, or a fever over 101F. Note: intractable means it won't stop, not just a few episodes of vomiting or low-moderate level of pain---they'll just up the meds and send you back home.
While my husband was at a business conference in Germany, he came down with a kidney stone and was literally screaming with pain. He was admitted and treated right away in spite of the language barrier. BC/BS refused at first to pay the claim because it was done overseas but finally paid up.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:37 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgilcreast View Post
Just what I mean. Supply and demand. Too many retirees.....to few medical personnel. What aspiring young doctor wants to live in central Florida. Med schools are not pumping out PCP's, they simply don't make any money and have to deal with all the government mandates. And to think that many want government to control medical care? I'm talking in broad generalities, but the best care is in metro areas. JMHO
I agree. Metro hospitals provide the most varied kind of training. Who wants to learn in a hospital where most of the patients may be elderly and therefore have pretty much the same ailments?
Old 02-01-2018, 03:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Your post is spot on.
The older retirees when they move to TV may need to think twice about moving away from areas where health care services are excellent to areas where they are not as good.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:53 PM
Sage
Default Bad experience at the villages hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
The older retirees when they move to TV may need to think twice about moving away from areas where health care services are excellent to areas where they are not as good.

///

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by dbussone; 02-01-2018 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
Just to clear the air. Moffit is not #3 in the US when it comes to cancer. The top 5 are; MD Anderson, Memorial Sloan Kettering, Mayo, Dana Farber, UCLA Medical Center. Moffit is rated well but not # 3. An opinion from someone who has been to most of them including Moffitt is as one expert noted a lot of the rating is based on good PR to get a high ranking. I think my ranking would be Mayo, Lahey Clinic in Arlington, Mass, Sloan Kettering. Have personal issues with MD Anderson and Moffitt. Just some thoughts.
You are absolutely correct and I was wrong.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
So what you are saying is that you should move someplace where they have great healthcare and ignore considering a place that can improve your health, provide a whole lot of fun stuff to do, meet great new friends, gain more life experiences. I think what you defined is move to God's waiting room, not his play room.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 02-01-2018, 06:57 PM
fw102807

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
So what you are saying is that you should move someplace where they have great healthcare and ignore considering a place that can improve your health, provide a whole lot of fun stuff to do, meet great new friends, gain more life experiences. I think what you defined is move to God's waiting room, not his play room.
Love this. I moved from city with 2 outstandingly rated hospitals because if I stayed up there I would be a couch potato. I had gotten to the point where I did not go out during the winter unless it was absolutely necessary and that was far from healthy. If I am going to die I want to go out having fun.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
While my husband was at a business conference in Germany, he came down with a kidney stone and was literally screaming with pain. He was admitted and treated right away in spite of the language barrier. BC/BS refused at first to pay the claim because it was done overseas but finally paid up.
All that proves is that German hospitals have no idea of the correct treatment for renal calculi.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
All that proves is that German hospitals have no idea of the correct treatment for renal calculi.

A urology chair friend of mine at a university in the West told me that the first line treatment for kidney stones was a 6 pack of beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-01-2018, 08:04 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Not often mentioned but there is Waterman hospital in Eustis. The hospital is on 441 just east of Tavares. Anyone had experience there?
Old 02-01-2018, 09:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
I said "move away." Having better health care would help improve one's quality of life, I would think. So what I infer from your posting is that by moving to a fun place would be a cure for one's cancer, serious heart condition, and the more serious life-threatening ailments. Perhaps TV needs to advertise itself as a place where one can be cured, and more ill people can come to TV instead of Mexico, looking for cures?
Closed Thread

Tags
bad, hospital, stone, kidney, pain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.