Bad experience at the villages hospital

Closed Thread
Old 02-01-2018, 09:47 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
A urology chair friend of mine at a university in the West told me that the first line treatment for kidney stones was a 6 pack of beer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
A bad idea for one who is a recovering alcoholic. I would think drinking gallons of water may help too.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:54 PM
Sage
Default Bad experience at the villages hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPutnam1863 View Post
A bad idea for one who is a recovering alcoholic. I would think drinking gallons of water may help too.

I agree, so don’t use beer. And too much water can mess up your electrolytes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-01-2018, 09:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
I said "move away." Having better health care would help improve one's quality of life, I would think. So what I infer from your posting is that by moving to a fun place would be a cure for one's cancer, serious heart condition, and the more serious life-threatening ailments. Perhaps TV needs to advertise itself as a place where one can be cured, and more ill people can come to TV instead of Mexico, looking for cures?

What? You are inferring way too much, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-02-2018, 08:40 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Lightbulb Not Recommended

Would definitely not recommend moving from The Villages for better health selections. We have some real good Urgent Care facilities if you do your home work. We are 2 hours and 30 minutes from one of the best clinics in the US mainly Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville. It is an easy drive through the Ocala Forest. If there is a serious emergency like heart then Leesburg Hospital is within a reasonable time frame as a "just in case". With some very hard home work there are some good medical doctors in the villages but you have to study the population to make sure you get a good personal physician. Having said all of this I believe no one should move from our terrific homes to lesser places to live. BUT, spend as much time setting up a good medical plan as you would picking out a new car!!
Old 02-02-2018, 12:41 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Love this. I moved from city with 2 outstandingly rated hospitals because if I stayed up there I would be a couch potato. I had gotten to the point where I did not go out during the winter unless it was absolutely necessary and that was far from healthy. If I am going to die I want to go out having fun.
I agree it is difficult to go out when it is cold. It is also difficult (at least for me) to go out when it is steamingly hot and humid. Either way it is easy to become a couch potato.

However TV does have wonderful indoor activities as does up here in the North.

By the way, I suppose you mean when you are going to die, not if you are going to die?
Old 02-02-2018, 04:43 PM
fw102807

Quote:
I agree it is difficult to go out when it is cold. It is also difficult (at least for me) to go out when it is steamingly hot and humid. Either way it is easy to become a couch potato.

However TV does have wonderful indoor activities as does up here in the North.

By the way, I suppose you mean when you are going to die, not if you are going to die?
Nope if...doing my best not to.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs up Very Positive Experience at ER Once Again

My husband fell again last night at 11:00. I can no longer get him up on my own. I activated his alarm and paramedics were sent right out. He does not communicate effectively, but did indicate to them that this time he wanted to go to the hospital. Everyone from the first responders, to the ambulance EMTs was awesome. They did a thorough assessment, dressed his wound, and alerted the hospital that they would be transporting. I agreed that I thought a physician assessment would be in order.

Did we wait a long time once there? Yes. We got home around 5 this morning. Was it unreasonable? Absolutely, not! He spent the time in a holding area in the hallway, while critical patients were given priority and rooms, as should be. There were two criticals that arrived at the same time he did and two more shortly after. In time, as a precaution, his elbow was x-ray'd and then just to be sure there was no brain bleed, a head scan was ordered. These things all take time, even on a stat order! Fortunately, no bleed and no fracture.

The entire staff was efficient, polite, and very professional. Everyone from the front desk right on through with the ER physician and dismissal was outstanding. I would challenge anyone to get more competent/compassionate care anywhere. We have definitely seen our share of hospitals across the country since his debilitating stroke 16 years ago. I also grew up in a medical family and around hospitals and have a pretty good knowledge of the workings.

Medical care is a process. Please take your patience with you, if you have to go. Hopefully, you won't have to.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Old 04-27-2018, 02:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8trix View Post
My daughter had a bad experience at The Villages Hospital. She went to the ER because she has a kidney stone and was in very bad pain and throwing up every time she ate. All they did was do some blood work and then she sat for hours before they called her back. After several more hours they said they do not have a urologist on call and just sent her home. WHAT IS WRONG WITH THAT?!!!!

You would think a hospital would be able to help someone with a kidney stone and had such bad pain, but, nope.

This is nothing new.........
Old 04-27-2018, 02:53 PM
Default The medical system

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Has not one iota thing to do with the sales staff. The whole American Health System is what needs fixing but dialogue on social media and complaining about "here" is non-productive though it seems to help folks vent!
In my OPINION, medical care has deteriorated dramatically. FAULT? I've read that 80% of medical care is paid for by either an insurance company or the government. Every doctor needs a PAID STAFF just to fill out paperwork. The doctor is expected to see four patients an hour. That is not the too limited 15 minutes as he/she has to walk from one WORK STATION-go to room three, to the other. You/WE want to be polite so you ask how ya doin Dr X?. If, he/she replies they have used 2 minutes out of your 12.
It can't be enjoyable fo the doctor let alone the patient.

Oh the insurance company tells them what they can charge and what care is acceptable-normal. PROPER CARE-I don't even know what that is. Perhaps, like your golf cart, your car, your AC the tihing to do is research POSSIBLE causes of any issue and have a CONFERENCE with your doctor. A typed note might be a good idea.
BLOOD TESTS-do you know your doctor needs to give an OK for you to get a copy? HUH? It is your blood, your health oh and your bill. If, you've ever seen one, it shows your reading and what normal is. ANYTHING outside of normal range, ask your doctor why and more importantly what should be OR COULD BE DONE about it.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
My husband fell again last night at 11:00. I can no longer get him up on my own. I activated his alarm and paramedics were sent right out. He does not communicate effectively, but did indicate to them that this time he wanted to go to the hospital. Everyone from the first responders, to the ambulance EMTs was awesome. They did a thorough assessment, dressed his wound, and alerted the hospital that they would be transporting. I agreed that I thought a physician assessment would be in order.

Did we wait a long time once there? Yes. We got home around 5 this morning. Was it unreasonable? Absolutely, not! He spent the time in a holding area in the hallway, while critical patients were given priority and rooms, as should be. There were two criticals that arrived at the same time he did and two more shortly after. In time, as a precaution, his elbow was x-ray'd and then just to be sure there was no brain bleed, a head scan was ordered. These things all take time, even on a stat order! Fortunately, no bleed and no fracture.

The entire staff was efficient, polite, and very professional. Everyone from the front desk right on through with the ER physician and dismissal was outstanding. I would challenge anyone to get more competent/compassionate care anywhere. We have definitely seen our share of hospitals across the country since his debilitating stroke 16 years ago. I also grew up in a medical family and around hospitals and have a pretty good knowledge of the workings.

Medical care is a process. Please take your patience with you, if you have to go. Hopefully, you won't have to.
Dear Dilly. I am so sorry this happened. He is so blessed to have you, and we are so lucky to know both of you.

Tags
bad, hospital, stone, kidney, pain

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.