Being Informed on Being a Medicare Enrollee

Closed Thread
Old 06-07-2022, 11:16 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,132 Times in 812 Posts
Default Being Informed on Being a Medicare Enrollee

I heard this before but forgot the correct term until now.

Are you a Medicare enrollee? If so, ask this question the next time you visit a hospital for care: “Am I admitted, or am I here for observation?”
Failing to do so could potentially cost you thousands of dollars.

Most here I sure know about this and ask the right question.
It's sad that the hospitals don't do the right thing for us seniors.
Old 06-07-2022, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post

Are you a Medicare enrollee? If so, ask this question the next time you visit a hospital for care: “Am I admitted, or am I here for observation?”

Stress is bad for cholesterol count. Worrying about could be, is unneeded stress.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:09 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
Stress is bad for cholesterol count. Worrying about could be, is unneeded stress.
Right! Even if it means costing you thousands of dollars.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:13 PM
Default There's a misunderstanding here...

Quote:

Hospitals are required by law to inform patients if they're 'Observation' or 'Admitted'. It's a law that's been on the books for years. Google 'are hospitals required to tell patients if admitted or observation?'
Old 06-07-2022, 05:20 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca9800 View Post
Hospitals are required by law to inform patients if they're 'Observation' or 'Admitted'. It's a law that's been on the books for years. Google 'are hospitals required to tell patients if admitted or observation?'

BUT do hospitals tell the patient which one to choose so Medicare pays for the stay????

That's my whole point.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:33 PM

Quote:
BUT do hospitals tell the patient which one to choose so Medicare pays for the stay????

That's my whole point.
Your wrath is misdirected. So you think nurses/physicians, the ones who tell you that you're going to be 'admitted', are out to screw you? You think they have something to gain? Having been personally involved in this exact situation on many, many occasions, I made certain my patient understood the difference. If you want to be angry at someone please go after the government department that introduced 'Observation'. These 'Observation' cases are people that don't meet 'Admission' criteria but the attending physician doesn't feel it's safe to send them home. Be angry w those who developed 'admission criteria'. Be angry with those who took the physician's decision-making powers away. You know, the suits that sit behind a desk and haven't a clue.
Old 06-07-2022, 05:45 PM

So if they say observation then what ? Are we going to refuse the stay at the hospital?
Old 06-07-2022, 05:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,368 Times in 2,396 Posts

Quote:
Your wrath is misdirected. So you think nurses/physicians, the ones who tell you that you're going to be 'admitted', are out to screw you? You think they have something to gain? Having been personally involved in this exact situation on many, many occasions, I made certain my patient understood the difference. If you want to be angry at someone please go after the government department that introduced 'Observation'. These 'Observation' cases are people that don't meet 'Admission' criteria but the attending physician doesn't feel it's safe to send them home. Be angry w those who developed 'admission criteria'. Be angry with those who took the physician's decision-making powers away. You know, the suits that sit behind a desk and haven't a clue.
Old 06-08-2022, 06:23 AM

Quote:
The biggest problem in health care today is bean counters and politicians being in charge of care instead of doctors and patients.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:07 AM

Excellent reminder. Do not stay for "observation" as you will be billed for it. If they don't feel you need to be admitted maybe think twice about staying,
Old 06-08-2022, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

One thing for sure, unless you are admitted to the hospital for three days before discharge, you are not admissible for subsequent resident physical therapy. If you are only in the hospital for observation and then wish to go to residential physical therapy, you pay the full cost. Or alternatively you’re limited to in-home physical therapy.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

It’s the insurance companies far moreso than politicians. They’re the “death committees” so often criticized in prior TV commercials.
Old 06-08-2022, 07:49 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:

Last time I checked most hospitals are for-profit, when a for-profit company has to make a decision, "right or profitable" I think we know which they chose. It's called predatory capitalism and it is all around us.

I can't overstate how happy I am to no longer be in that healthcare system. I didn't realize I qualified for VA healthcare until I was retired. Now, 10 years later I am amazed at how great the Gainesville VA hospital is. I see all the issues with healthcare here in The Villages, and I am reminded of what I used to have to go through. My wife is also in the VA system and we often look at each other and say how we wish everyone could have healthcare that is focused on keeping us healthy instead of focused on making money like we have in the VA system.

Next time you get a chance vote for Universal health care, single-payer healthcare, or whatever catchy term they come up with. You won't regret it.

Last edited by MartinSE; 06-08-2022 at 07:55 AM.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:30 AM
Default Medicare Enrollee

Quote:

Prior to being a Medicare enrollee, I was admitted to the hospital because they knew what I needed. My insurance stated I needed to be placed on observation first. Because I was not, insurance didn’t want to pay. Hospital took care of it and they got their money
Old 06-08-2022, 08:34 AM
Default "Observation" vs "Admission"

2022 0608 Wednesday @ 09:31
Original Medicare with Supplement Plan N (or G) stipulates up to a $50 payment for observation. If admitted, there is no charge. Plans G and N are the most comprehensive for those who turned 65 on or before January 1, 2020.
Closed Thread

Tags
question, medicare, enrollee, sad, dollars

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.