Looking for acid reflux friendly recipes for drinks, smoothies, etc.

Closed Thread
Old 07-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Gold member
Default Looking for acid reflux friendly recipes for drinks, smoothies, etc.

Due to a limit diet because of acid reflux I'm getting bored with what I eat. Looking for acid reflux friendly receipts for drinks, smoothies, blender ice cream, etc. I've been doing blue berries, 1/2 banana, Carnation Instant Breakfast mix, and almond milk, and ice. Sometimes I put lettuce in it or peaches or a plum. Looking to try other things for a variety.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoGeo View Post
Due to a limit diet because of acid reflux I'm getting bored with what I eat. Looking for acid reflux friendly receipts for drinks, smoothies, blender ice cream, etc. I've been doing blue berries, 1/2 banana, Carnation Instant Breakfast mix, and almond milk, and ice. Sometimes I put lettuce in it or peaches or a plum. Looking to try other things for a variety.
I can't help you with receipts, but maybe you could help me with advice. I've only recently experienced it during the night occasionally and would be interested in what you use to relieve the burning throat that it causes.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:28 PM

I have been diagnosed with acid reflux, however I don't get any stomach issues. My problem is mainly having to clear my throat all the time due to irritation. I have recently begun drinking a small glass of aloe vera juice (available at Walmart) whenever my throat is bothering me. While the jury is still out I believe it does help reduce the irritation. Aftertaste reminds me of cactus- not great but tolerable.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:49 PM
Platinum member

have it myself....general advice is not to eat within at least 2 hours of going to bed...
Old 07-27-2013, 02:56 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Raising the head of your bed can help also. I drilled a divit in a couple of 4 by 6's lying on the 4 and put the wheels for the head of my bed frame in the divit so it wouldn't slide and it raised my bed so my head is up a bit that and a good pillow has helped me.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I am thinking that you all know about Prilosec daily, not just when symptoms occur? And that you have thought about consulting an excellent gastroenterologist? If you are still having ANY symptoms it isn't good for your innards over time and can lead to more serious problems.

Good morning. I am a busybody. Just don't know why I chime in sometimes. Of course you know those things I typed.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:42 AM
Eternal Member

Nexium

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I am thinking that you all know about Prilosec daily, not just when symptoms occur? And that you have thought about consulting an excellent gastroenterologist? If you are still having ANY symptoms it isn't good for your innards over time and can lead to more serious problems.

Good morning. I am a busybody. Just don't know why I chime in sometimes. Of course you know those things I typed.
I've been on Prilosec in the past and Zantac for at seven months. However I just took myself off it as I don't feel like it does anything for me- ditto the Prilosec. I personally never have any trouble when i lay down or sleep.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:53 PM
Gold member

I'm still looking for some acid reflux friendly drinks (smoothies, etc.) I can make in the blender.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 PM
Sage

Get a hold of the Wheat Belly cook book! Many great recipes in this!!
Old 08-01-2013, 02:32 AM
Veteran member
Default acid reflux

When it really bothers me, I drink ginger tea. It does work! Twinings do it in bag form, but just as easy to make fresh. Just grate a teaspoonful, or however much you would prefer, add fresh boiled water, let it sit for a few minutes, and there you have it. A cup of ginger tea
Old 08-01-2013, 04:05 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Whatever recipe you get, add some omeprazole to it! Only kidding, but seriously, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is no laughing matter. It can cause erosion of the esophagus. Some of the drugs mentioned here are called H2 agonists, and they may work we'll for a time, but some people can build up a tolerance to them quickly. Some others are called proton pump inhibitors (PPI's). They take longer to start to work, but if taken regularly are usually quite effective. Please see a gastroenterologist or talk with your primary care doctor about this. Hope you feel better soon!
Old 08-01-2013, 05:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

dump the carnations stay away from processed items...use an almond milk...add tbs apple cider vinegar to some water...you need to add acid to your diet
Old 08-01-2013, 06:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,509 Times in 1,909 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryRX View Post
Whatever recipe you get, add some omeprazole to it! Only kidding, but seriously, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is no laughing matter. It can cause erosion of the esophagus. Some of the drugs mentioned here are called H2 agonists, and they may work we'll for a time, but some people can build up a tolerance to them quickly. Some others are called proton pump inhibitors (PPI's). They take longer to start to work, but if taken regularly are usually quite effective. Please see a gastroenterologist or talk with your primary care doctor about this. Hope you feel better soon!
I agree. Generally when you ask a doctor to treat Acid Reflux or Gerd he/she will tell you that an over the counter medicine containing omeprazole taken EVERY day will stop the symptoms. I was told by the nurse at the colonoscopy place, do what the doctor says, I see what untreated Gerd looks like here working with peoples intestines.

Most doctors will not scope you unless the problem is severe and then you are sedated and don't feel anything.and it is over in a short time. Here is a link. Don't let it continue, it CAN hurt you

Long-Term Effects of Acid Reflux | eHow

P.S. I am not a medical person but I am a card carrying mom.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:20 AM
Sage

Mayo Clinic - Bracelet-Like Device Controls Chronic Acid Reflux, Study Finds

magnetic bracelet? sounds like hooey, but read this news from Mayo Clinic.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.