Rigid Gas Permeable Contact Lenses

Closed Thread
Old 05-25-2017, 10:05 PM
Sage
Default Rigid Gas Permeable Contact Lenses

I wore soft contact lenses for 25+ yrs. Problems with my cornea started about 7 years ago, so I switched to glasses full time. Now the glasses are not quite cutting it any longer. So I have been told my options are: a procedure called a superficial keratectomy or wearing rigid gas permeable contact lenses. I am opting to try the RGP lenses.

I have been doing a little research on RGP lenses, but wanted to know if anyone can post their experience. I have heard the adjustment time for RGP lenses is anywhere from 1 week to a month. Any tips or feedback are appreciated. Some have posted on other web sites that you need to build up wearing time gradually, one hour the first day, then two hours the next day, three hours, etc.
Old 05-25-2017, 10:22 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,670 Times in 1,773 Posts

I wore "hard" contact lenses from 1966 into the 1980's. I believe these are what you are considering. They gave me wonderfully acute vision. Both of my opthamologists told me that I would be unhappy with soft lenses as visual acuity would suffer. Hard lenses do require an adjustment period and more regimented wearing times than soft lenses. I went back to glasses when I hit my fifties primarily because I got tired of the issues of contact lenses.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-26-2017, 04:45 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I also wore gas perms for years. I loved them and only gave them up for bifocals. To me they were worth the slight inconveniences of gas perms over soft lens. I'm sure you will love them.
Old 05-26-2017, 05:14 PM
Sage

I wore RGP in the 70s. I switched to soft lenses in the 80s and continue to use them. I find them to be more comfortable than the rigid.

Bottom line - you can try them and if they don't work, switch to something else.

I jokingly say that RGP taught me this lesson: If I can can place pieces of plastic on my eyeballs and eventually consider them to comfortable, then we humans can adapt to anything.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:36 PM

I have worn gas permeable since 1973 and can never recall any problems. The one huge benefit I have experienced is the lens have stopped the deterioration of my eyesight. I can't recall the last time I had a prescription change. I believe my vision is sharper than with prescription glasses and I have no trouble wearing them 12 to 14 hrs a day. The only real time I have tired eyes is after playing water volleyball which I believe the chemicals in the water contribute to some discomfort.
Old 05-27-2017, 10:17 AM
Sage
Default Thank you!

Thank you for the feedback. I will give it a go; the RGP lenses should be ready in about a week. I have also seen information online about hybrid lenses that have an RGP center and are soft around the edges. We will see what happens with the RGP lenses...keeping my fingers crossed I can adjust with a minimum of problems.

Tags
lenses, time, rgp, contact, glasses

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.