Bunion Surgery, not getting it?

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2023, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Generalized story, exact medical facts not known.True story as related second hand from mutual golf friends. story is marked as believable when told in golfing circles. . .

Yes, i can understand your position. . she had had back issues while recovering from surgery in her boot, and finally the pain was diagnosed several months later as a spinal infection as the source of her back pain, admitted then and there into the hospital for IV for a several/many weeks.

As you well know, doctors diagnose and treat symptoms and health issues, regardless of source. Source is most often times unknown with certainty, therefore, doctors don't like to speculate on sources without data/facts. . . and its impossible to research situations like this to prove facts.

so from a medical point of view, you are correct. From a risk point of view, all surgeries carry risk, both immediate and longer term, and the risk increases as one ages, most likely exponentially, which was my only point. . regardless of medically proven or not. . regardless of direct or indirect affects. ..

as I ended with YMMV
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Unless she had a post-op infection after her foot surgery, I can't fathom how that could have been the source of an infection elsewhere in the body...

But, like GE said... I hope she recovered from her spinal infection...
Well, with the additional information we can speculate (repeat SPECULATE) a bit more:

It seems her problems began in the immediate post-op period, and her back pain may have been attributed to hobbling around on crutches with a boot on. So, let's SPECULATE that for whatever reason she actually had some Staph Aureus seeded into her bloodstream. This could be the precipitating factor for an infection such as a discitis or even a vertebral osteomyelitis, and it would not be unusual that the correct diagnosis isn't made until a few months later, especially if she didn't have classic symptoms of an infection.

And then again, it still might be unrelated.....
Old 06-19-2023, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Well, with the additional information we can speculate (repeat SPECULATE) a bit more:

It seems her problems began in the immediate post-op period, and her back pain may have been attributed to hobbling around on crutches with a boot on. So, let's SPECULATE that for whatever reason she actually had some Staph Aureus seeded into her bloodstream. This could be the precipitating factor for an infection such as a discitis or even a vertebral osteomyelitis, and it would not be unusual that the correct diagnosis isn't made until a few months later, especially if she didn't have classic symptoms of an infection.

And then again, it still might be unrelated.....
what you said! I agree proudly pointing to my google doc exam passing grade she could have gotten the infection from the time in the boot, and not the operation for sure. . there are no facts to prove one way or the other, but m point was and still is, infection probabilities increase with surgeries, so make sure that you really need the surgery. ..

bacterias and viruses are the apex predators, so be careful what you wish for. .

finance guy with less than two weeks remaining
Old 06-19-2023, 07:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

No surgery! Unless you are in great pain. My mother had one toe done it felt so bad after the surgery she never considered the other toe.
Old 06-19-2023, 08:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,278 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
No surgery! Unless you are in great pain. My mother had one toe done it felt so bad after the surgery she never considered the other toe.
While I empathize with your mother, it has little bearing on any other pt's decisions...

Every patient is different. Every patient will have a different outcome...

My nightmare patient is one who comes in after seeing her friend's bunion result that was textbook perfect.

The fact that it was only a moderate (but painful) deformity is irrelevant.

The new patient, who has a foot like Fred Flintstone, with a big toe that looks like an opposable thumb "wants exactly what her friend had"...

It's setting yourself up for failure... I politely explain that we're comparing two very different starting points and that you "can't make chick salad out of chicken sh*t" and try to get them to lower their expectations. Most times, I was successful...

God I'm glad I'm winding down my surgical practice and retiring soon!

-Tom Petty
Old 06-19-2023, 09:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

Yes, but without having an idea of the probability of the various outcomes I’d hedge my bets on the conservative side, personally.
Old 06-19-2023, 09:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,278 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Yes, but without having an idea of the probability of the various outcomes I’d hedge my bets on the conservative side, personally.
Any surgeon with a lick of decency will discuss the possibilities of risks and complications so the patient can make an informed decision...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-20-2023, 05:19 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

I had an injury which led to painful arthritis in right big toe. I'm not planning on surgery until the pain is unbearable.
Old 06-20-2023, 05:21 AM

Which surgery did you have as I understand there are two? Are you familiar with both surgeries?
Old 06-20-2023, 06:02 AM
Default Bunions

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyGrandpap View Post
Current position is not to get bunion surgery. Bunion is obvious, great toe angled, however other than cosmetic reasons I am not really having any problems. Been like that for a while, told it is hereditary.
Anyone have a similiar situation and just not get the surgery?
Absolutely hereditary.Had mine removed at 14. Then when I was in my late 40’s had my right one done due to pain. I ask the doctor to do them both at the same time. He would not because I was without pain in my left foot. Great advice.
Old 06-20-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Current position is not to get bunion surgery. Bunion is obvious, great toe angled, however other than cosmetic reasons I am not really having any problems. Been like that for a while, told it is hereditary.
Just got cortisone shots in big toe joint due to arthritis. Dr. Wassell’s area of expertise is bunions and he said surgery is the last resort.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:02 AM

Quote:
I am 77 years old and just noticed them on both feet the last two years. No pain, and why have surgery at my age?
Old 06-20-2023, 07:09 AM

Quote:
My girlfriend had surgery for the same reason, ended up losing her big toe.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nob77@comcast.net View Post
Absolutely hereditary.Had mine removed at 14. Then when I was in my late 40’s had my right one done due to pain. I ask the doctor to do them both at the same time. He would not because I was without pain in my left foot. Great advice.
Absolutely hereditary?

While certain foot types are hereditary and may predispose to hallux valgus, the overwhelming majority of bunions are caused by years of high heels, ill fitting shoes and arthritis.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Wife just had foot surgery that included the Bunion being removed. Best move she has made...though just going through it her foot is now straight and looking forward to wearing regular shoes again. Look at the Rothman Group. NOT the Village dr. Dr. Reeves. Excellent bedside manner and his resident dr are like clones to him. Tentative and professional with mannerism and knowledge.
Old 06-20-2023, 07:43 AM

Quote:
I had similar two years ago - well maybe more like 3 now! Bunions showed up. We’re not painful. Very visible. My GP said to change my shoes before I worried about anything else! He said especially women often experience expanding feet as we age and not always notice. So I had my feet properly measured and moved up a half size so the ball of my foot was better positioned. Also took care to make sure the toe box was wide enough. Went up a full size in my walking shoes (as in exercise walking). Six months later my bunions had receded considerably and are now almost gone. Might not work for you if yours have been there a long time. Start with one new pair that you can wear almost all the time.
I used “healthyfeetstore.com” to measure my feet and then find shoes that worked. Good luck. Avoid any surgery if you can!! (Someone else said that as well and I agree!!)
Closed Thread

Tags
bunion, surgery, told, hereditary, similiar

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.