Medical Office Front Office Staff Personnel

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2017, 10:14 AM
Default Medical Office Front Office Staff Personnel

Since moving here we've had the occasion to see more then our fair share of medical providers. The reception and help provided by the front office staff has ranged from excellent to horrible, with unfortunately various nuances of horrible being the rule. Often times we deal with people who let you know your presence is an annoyance and an imposition on their time. Many do not respond to messages left by telephone or email until you follow up. Just the other day we responded to a physical therapist's phone message to schedule an evaluation with another phone message. We then followed up twenty four hours later to be first told angrily by the individual answering the phone she only responds to recorded messages in the afternoon and that we could accept an 8 AM appointment two days hence or wait for ten days for the next appointment. We found another physical therapist. We wish I could say this was atypical behavior, but that has not proven to be the case entirely too many times. Do not the physicians/owners realize these individuals are the faces of their practices and that having individuals with an attitude problem responding to their patients in such a manner reflects directly on them ?
Old 05-17-2017, 10:18 AM
Veteran member

Your view seems to be so correct. I fear these people have few social skills and a lack of training for their positions. Does it matter to the physician? Definitely should. We have let our doctors know when we're disappointed in their staff...replies have ranged from "I'll check that out", or just a shrug of their shoulders.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
Since moving here we've had the occasion to see more then our fair share of medical providers. The reception and help provided by the front office staff has ranged from excellent to horrible, with unfortunately various nuances of horrible being the rule. Often times we deal with people who let you know your presence is an annoyance and an imposition on their time. Many do not respond to messages left by telephone or email until you follow up. Just the other day we responded to a physical therapist's phone message to schedule an evaluation with another phone message. We then followed up twenty four hours later to be first told angrily by the individual answering the phone she only responds to recorded messages in the afternoon and that we could accept an 8 AM appointment two days hence or wait for ten days for the next appointment. We found another physical therapist. We wish I could say this was atypical behavior, but that has not proven to be the case entirely too many times. Do not the physicians/owners realize these individuals are the faces of their practices and that having individuals with an attitude problem responding to their patients in such a manner reflects directly on them ?
I, too, think this is a major problem in TV medical offices. I have spoken to two of my doctors about their staff and both these medical professionals told me that they love working here, but wish they could get office staff of the quality they had in their former offices. However, I know for a fact that neither of these professionals are paying their local staff what they had to pay in their former practices. So, as with just about everything in life, you get what you pay for.

I have a friend here who worked in a major Northeast hospital. She thought she would go out to work on a part time basis here, she was insulted at the pay scale she was offered and decided to just stay home and enjoy her life.

There have to be literally hundreds of retired professional nurses here who would work a couple of days a week if they were offered decent pay.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-17-2017, 10:50 AM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Be careful...in one state the receptionist made a mistake with my appointment. I complained to the attending physician - and was terminated. When I called to find out why I was terminated, I was told it was due to "conflict between personnel and patient." Later I was told that the doctors in that town were trying to get rid of Medicare patients. This was before Obamacare.

Last edited by EPutnam1863; 05-17-2017 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-17-2017, 01:03 PM
Sage

We have found many (not all) office staff to be terrible.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Gold member

I have had to complain to my Dr about his staff as well.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:08 PM
Sage
Default Agree

I wondered if it was just me. I got blood drawn the other day at Quest Diagnostics in Traverse Plaza and they couldn't even look up to acknowledge I was signing in. They acted like they were doing me a favor by just talking to me. No personality what so ever. Not in a hurry to get anyone in or get anyone out. This isn't the only office I've felt this way about. However, my primary care physicians office staff are very kind as well as my dentists office.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I wondered if it was just me. I got blood drawn the other day at Quest Diagnostics in Traverse Plaza and they couldn't even look up to acknowledge I was signing in. They acted like they were doing me a favor by just talking to me. No personality what so ever. Not in a hurry to get anyone in or get anyone out. This isn't the only office I've felt this way about. However, my primary care physicians office staff are very kind as well as my dentists office.
In contrast to my doctor's staff, Quest in Palm Ridge Plaza on 101 are great. I make an appointment on line and never have to wait. Unfortunately my veins are small and my blood runs very slowly, and the techs who take my blood are great. Also, my Dentist is Dr.Williams at Palm Ridge Dental. All her staff are more mature ladies and they are outstanding, now if we could just do something about the doctors' staff we would be fine.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-17-2017, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
In contrast to my doctor's staff, Quest in Palm Ridge Plaza on 101 are great. I make an appointment on line and never have to wait. Unfortunately my veins are small and my blood runs very slowly, and the techs who take my blood are great. Also, my Dentist is Dr.Williams at Palm Ridge Dental. All her staff are more mature ladies and they are outstanding, now if we could just do something about the doctors' staff we would be fine.
I very much agree. Our daughter has had so many procedures over her lifetime that it is usually hard to get a good stick. They always do it in first or second try at Quest lab in Palm Ridge Plaza. AND we get hugged too..

I think that a lot of people are taking advantage of government funding and taking those courses that teach you how to be a doctor's assistant in nine months. I think they are hired for low pay and many act like they don't have the general knowledge, sophistication or just plain common sense to work for an M.D. It is more than disappointing. It is often dangerous because they have meds and records too often incorrectly posted and hang signs to not tap on the glass and to turn off cell phones that are very rude.

What happened to the nurses and secretaries that were gracious and smart that used to work for doctors?
Old 05-17-2017, 07:39 PM
Gold member

I was shifted by my former employer to UHC Medicare Advantage and then started going to Village Health Santa Barbara office and so far this has worked well. The office staff, technicians who draw blood and do x-rays have been great. No long waits in waiting room, fast appointments when a need arose. My primary care physician never rushes and spends enough time with me dealing with medical problems, questions and concerns. I have also found the PA and Nurse Practitioner to be great too. They also listen, address concerns and have great patient skills. So count me as a one happy patient.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Veteran member

Could this be a sign of the times where younger folks are losing their social skills because of technology and texting?

While I just left the business world, I have embraced technology, however never used it 100% of the time. Had no problem picking up the phone to talk to folks.

Can't tell you the numerous times I asked my employees if they have spoken to customers or our vendors and the answer they gave me all the time was...I emailed them.....my response was...pick up the phone and call them!
Old 05-17-2017, 09:47 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

Sometimes you get similar treatment at other venues but being in Doctor's office you expect professional treatment by all the medical staff. Staff, in some cases are under trained and most are also underpaid for what their responsibilities and the professional expectations of patients are when they are in a medical facility.

Last year we had a guest in our home who accidentally injured her arm in a fall. Without going into all the details, she experienced front office staff incompetence in one of the walk-in clinics and so I know from her experience that what the OP concerns are regarding medical staff is not an isolated incident. There is a definite shortage of good medical professionals at all levels. No matter how hard they try the medical community just can't possibly keep up with our growth. It will continue to be that way for a while.....
Old 05-18-2017, 02:40 PM
Sage

It's ALL in the training! The doctor probably doesn't do it but a office manager or someone that's more experienced may. I so agree with the OP on this subject! I think it's deplorable how some of these staff treat the public. Not sure what the answer if....but to enlighten the doctor is a start. Tell him/her that the front reflects upon his practice and that unprofessionalism isn't going to help.
Old 05-19-2017, 11:17 AM

We moved up here from South FL and I can't believe how bad the medical care is up here. We wished we would have known. Please please if you have complex medical issues do not go to the villages hospital! Go out of the villages for better care..maybe. we planned our move up here for 3 years.. unfortunately we will be moving back to South FL for better health care...our dream has been shattered.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
I was shifted by my former employer to UHC Medicare Advantage and then started going to Village Health Santa Barbara office and so far this has worked well. The office staff, technicians who draw blood and do x-rays have been great. No long waits in waiting room, fast appointments when a need arose. My primary care physician never rushes and spends enough time with me dealing with medical problems, questions and concerns. I have also found the PA and Nurse Practitioner to be great too. They also listen, address concerns and have great patient skills. So count me as a one happy patient.
I agree 100%. I'm with Colony and the Speciality care and all appointments on time or earlier. All office staff and techs are very good.

Tags
phone, office, horrible, staff, messages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.