Cataract Surgery which lens to get

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2021, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimondAngels View Post
Is it worth getting the upgraded lens at $3300 each eye or to just have the standard lens put in which your insurance company will cover the cost???
I had both my eyes done in my late 50’s before all these new lenses became available. It is fifteen years later and I have perfect 20/20 vision for distance without the use of glasses. On the golf course everyone asks me if I saw their ball. In poor light and for very small print I do need reading glasses. If I forget my glasses I can read a book with normal size print but I choose to wear my glasses most times. I have never found any of this an inconvenience so I would recommend you get the normal lenses and save yourself almost seven thousand dollars unless you have money to burn.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,066 Times in 534 Posts

I got the standard lens, and had 20-20 vision when it was over. Glad I didn't pop for the pricey one.
Old 02-12-2021, 08:34 AM

My wife had the surgery and got the upgraded lens. Absolutely loves them and see distance and read also perfectly. I even tried to get my lens replaced with them and they won't do it.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:43 AM

Wonderful & complete explanation. Thank you so much for the write-up.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:44 AM
Thanked 1,120 Times in 246 Posts
Default Also check out LASIK coverage

I had a single distance-focus lens replacement in each eye. I still wear glasses for reading. I am a hunter and it is great to not have to wear glasses outdoors or when using a riflescope or binoculars. Driving and being able to read road signs and the absence of halos at night are fantastic.

If I wanted to see without glasses I would compare the insurance coverage for LASIK. LASIK may be covered whereas the multifocal lens is not. I wish I had gotten LASIK.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:11 AM
Default Cataract surgery which lens to get

Somebody is getting ripped off here. I had my cataract surgery in 2019 when we lived in Celebration - a town in Osceola county which is not a over 55. Wonderful eye surgeon practicing out of Celebration hospital. I'm quite near sighted so I opted for the corrective lenses. They were $300 each eye. Seems like the somebody is adding a couple of zeros, doubling and just plain taking advantage. I would go somewhere where they are not going to overcharge.
Old 02-12-2021, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

My wife got the upgraded lenses and she says it was one of the worst decisions she ever made in her life. She still has to wear readers and make the print bigger on her iPad.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:00 AM
Default Worth it!

Quote:
Is it worth getting the upgraded lens at $3300 each eye or to just have the standard lens put in which your insurance company will cover the cost???
I was extremely near sighted. I can now see distance as never before. I remember sitting on my couch and reading something lit on the cable box box that I didn't even know was there! I didn't opt for the next level for close up so occasionally need reading glasses but only for poor light or small print. What I miss the most is seeing extremely close up by removing my glasses. A whole different experience plucking eyebrows! Lol
Old 02-12-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
I have to expensive lenses and my insurance covered the cost of the basic lens and I paid the rest. I love not having to wear glasses.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:06 AM

This is one of the best explanations I've heard. I had monovision implants with my cataract surgery in 2003. Back then insurance paid for it. I was 51 years old (early onset cataracts family trait) and this was cutting edge. My doctor told me that "old people" (me now) don't adjust well. They're stuck in their ways and used to wearing glasses and don't want to adjust. Taking away a lifetime of being nearsighted was a game changer!!! I can see a clock in middle of night and I can see when I go swimming. The benefits go on and on. I'd do it again today, no matter the cost. My ophthalmologist changed my life.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
PS - in younger days, I was legally blind (not blind but really poor vision) and I had radial keratotamies done on both eyes in the 1980's with good results. However, I was younger then and as my eyes aged, I needed reading glasses.

When the cataracts came along 30 years later, the docs said that RK surgery can create some inconsistency in post-cataract eyesight and that I'd likely still need glasses of some kind - which was no big deal to me. But I figured, why pay the extra $$$ if I'm still going to need glasses? My vision without glasses is 20/25, not bad and I'm pleased.
20/25 is pretty good. I would guess that most people in the Villages are not that good.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:30 AM

Absolutely. I had it done in both eyes and only need reading glasses if I read for a long time.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsmac4 View Post
Somebody is getting ripped off here. I had my cataract surgery in 2019 when we lived in Celebration - a town in Osceola county which is not a over 55. Wonderful eye surgeon practicing out of Celebration hospital. I'm quite near sighted so I opted for the corrective lenses. They were $300 each eye. Seems like the somebody is adding a couple of zeros, doubling and just plain taking advantage. I would go somewhere where they are not going to overcharge.
I had my cataracts done and I too recall the upgrade lenses were like $300 per eye. The plain lenses truth since I did not choose that option, I have no way to compare. The surgeons do seem to push the prescription lenses. A friend had the same experience in another state. I expect it is more profitable. Her surgeon as mine did; suggested she not get the multi-focal lenses. I still need reading glasses.

My vision-truth I am thrilled I did not realize how bad it had gotten. One thing I was wrong about. We think vision issues is the lens. Apparently your retina, back of the eye also varies. To order the correct lens, they measure the back of your eye. I am thrilled.

I've heard of people who have one eye adjusted for close up and the other for distance.
Seems to me that would be a constant headache.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:47 AM

I was able to see close fairly well before my cataract surgery. I upgraded to the Toric lens which made my near vision worse. I enjoy not needing glasses for distance but now I need it for absolutely everything close up. If I had it to do over again I would not upgrade.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:48 AM

Absolutly worth it. My wife did it and now she is 20/20
Closed Thread

Tags
lens, cataract, cover, company, insurance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.