Cataract surgery with multi focal LOL

Closed Thread
Old 03-07-2022, 10:40 PM
Default Cataract surgery with multi focal LOL

Has anyone recently had cataract surgery and used the new multi focal lens. Have surgery scheduled in a month and still trying to decide if I should just go with far vision or try the multi focal lens. Looking for comments from people who had it done. Good/ bad Already have to have toric lens so cost is not a factor Thanks
Old 03-08-2022, 12:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,935 Times in 2,457 Posts

I had cataract surgery, would of got the multi-focus lens, but I have left facial nerve problems which affects watering of left eye. They wouldn’t do it. So I got lens that I could see far and have to use reading glasses for small print. Took maybe 10 mins once I got prepped. best money I even spent, don’t have to wear glasses, can get stray spots that they can fix in about 5 mins or less.
Old 03-08-2022, 03:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,244 Posts

Surgery two years ago with excellent results.

Have multifocal, distance in one eye and near in the outer.

No need for glasses.
Old 03-08-2022, 10:00 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Had my cataract surgery last November, and I am thrilled with the results. As has been said, it is a 10 or 15 minute surgery once you are prepped and rolled into the surgery. There was NO pain or discomfort in my surgery at all. Not even "a little pressure" as doctors like to say. My left eye was done first and they tested my vision 15 minutes after surgery - it went from 20/70 to 20/15 at distance). Talk about being thrilled - LOL! A couple weeks later the swelling from the surgery went down and it tested at 20/20-20/25. Still very good for 72 year old. My right eye was done 2 weeks later and initially corrected to only 20/40 (at distance) After weeks later it settled down to 20/20 at distance. I am thrilled. Reading is slightly off, I am VERY lucky. I can read the dash on my car, and most things that are not too close to my face - like I can read my Apple Watch (print is pretty small) with my arm partially extended.

There are two ways, as I understand it, to achieve "multi-focal" vision. In the older method, they adjust the lens for one eye to focus on distance, and the other eye for close up or reading vision. Most peoples brains quickly adapt to this and the brain simply ignores the eyed that is not in focus. It sounds "strange" but it works for a lot of people. One issue with this approach can be a depth of field problem - being able to tell how far away things are. But, for most it is not an issue.

The other approach (I think) is a lens like bifocals for classes. This is a relatively new offering. Like bifocals the upper part is for distance and the lower for reading. This does not have the problem of depth of field that different distances in each eye. But, it can require some getting use to get the right angle for what you are looking at in focus - sort of like bifocals. This, I think is the most expensive option.

I chose distance vision for both eyes because it has the least possible negatives. I use reading glasses for my computer work. I don't have to, but it is better for how far/close I like to sit from my computer and how small I like the print. I am lucky, my prescription is the lowest they can make - LOL!

As I said, I am thrilled, mine worked perfectly.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,781 Times in 1,244 Posts

I do notice starbursts/Halo's around lights at night with my IOL lenses. You get to used to it.

Multifocal Intraocular Lenses for Cataract Surgery

Multifocal IOLs
These lenses are designed to allow for distance, intermediate and near focusing and do not depend on the ciliary body muscle.

Most of these lenses have some type of concentric rings etched into the surface that allows images at all distances to be focused on the retina. Because of this, it takes a little longer for people to adapt to them.

The focusing power provided by these lenses is different than normal focusing that most people had during their younger adult life. Therefore, the brain must adapt to this new way of focusing. However, they work surprisingly well.
Closed Thread

Tags
surgery, multi, focal, lens, cataract

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.