Colonoscopy risks

Closed Thread
Old 02-23-2015, 08:17 PM
Gold member
Default You can always find reasons not ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Colonoscopy: Is It Worth The Risk?

The above link serves as a reminder to me that I'm doing the right thing by not getting a colonoscopy. It's definitely not for me. I've decided to resist the pressure put on me by others, including my HMO/doctor.

Read the link and decide for yourself whether you should get tested.
to do something...do you know the risk of driving a car? Yet I'll bet you still do it...and for the record...unless your source is reliable(and not much of a negative nature is from the internet)you're a fool for putting your decision making on such garbage and not on reliable doctors and experts...you've found a way out and no matter what common sense says your fear says do it your way. R.I.P.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Colonoscopy: Is It Worth The Risk?
The above link serves as a reminder to me that I'm doing the right thing by not getting a colonoscopy. It's definitely not for me. I've decided to resist the pressure put on me by others, including my HMO/doctor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
I've been diligent with colonoscopies since I passed the 50 mark. 16 years later cancer was found and I immediately scheduled surgery. .... No chemo or radiation needed because it was caught early. I'm would advise any and all to have this easy procedure done knowing that it could easily be a life saver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wereback View Post
17 years ago had my first colonoscopy after many years of putting it off. Needless to say I had a late stage colon, rectal cancer after 9 month of surgery chemo and radiation I am still here. What many years before was what was a small plops that could have been simply removed. I have spent years trying to have people do it early. The doctor sounds like the ones against shots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Would you mind telling us how old you are, VPL?
Gracie, VPL has told us he is 73. I hope that he lives a long and healthy life, and that he gets a colonoscopy and any other tests recommended by his doctor. I hope that the sharing of these stories changes his mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
Finding colon cancer that has metastasized to the bones, rectum, bladder, spine, lungs, and/or brain is a whole lot riskier than a colonoscopy. End of story IMO.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:49 AM

That article, and their rationale is ridiculous!!!!!!!!! Not to mention that the so called supporting data is 8-10 years old. And yes, depending on the patient, there are doctors who stop recommending colonoscopies at a certain age-but depending on their health history. They shouldn't "pick" an age where you can stop treatment or procedures for anything. You do have to weigh the benefits verses the risks, but that should be a doctor's decision who understands the patient or the risk factors.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member

When I saw what this thread was about, even without looking, I knew who started it.
Old 02-24-2015, 04:24 AM

A friend of mine lost her 31 year old son this past Friday after a 3 year battle with colon cancer. There was a strong history of colon cancer on both sides of the family and it was recommended my friend's son have his first colonoscopy in his early 20s but he put it off. Three years ago he went into the hospital with symptoms of appendicitis, and in surgery it was discovered he had stage III colon cancer. Had he had a colonoscopy when it was recommended the cancer very likely would have been caught at an early stage and he would still be here today. RIP J
Old 02-24-2015, 08:31 AM
Email Reported As Spam

While colon cancer is the main focus of this thread pertaining to do or not to do a colonoscopy there are other health reasons to do so for preventive reasons.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 AM

VP, I am asking you nicely. Please stop it.

What you do for yourself is your business. I am not here to tell you to have a colonoscopy. I am here to ask you to stop this harangue.

A colonoscopy, like so many things medical, is a risk vs. benefit decision. Statistics are overwhelmingly on the side of benefit for colonoscopies.

I hope when you come in here with your highly questionable "medical" sources that you are not harming someone else.

The reason I say that is because having a colonoscopy is not anybody's idea of a good time. Sometimes it can be way too easy to put off making that appointment. So I sure hope someone whose life could be saved does not pick up on this stuff you say and use it as an excuse not to have a colonoscopy that could find cancer and give them their life back. (When there is something that we do not want to do, we human beings can be masters of rationalization.)

But I really do think that what you have said here probably has reminded a few of us to make that appointment. -- Not the goal you had in mind. I know. But on the outside chance that somebody who needs a colonoscopy is buying in with you, well. . .I just hope that is not happening.

I know you will not stop, VP. But I just had to get into this one. (But I refuse to engage any further so please don't think I am flinging down the gauntlet.)

My dad's life was saved by a colonoscopy. That evil cancer was caught very, very early.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Colonoscopy has been troubling to Villages Place for many years. It is ultimately HIS decision.

I am glad we had this thread to remind folks they may be old enough now to have their screening one. I want to say again, it doesn't hurt, you are sedated, it doesn't hurt afterward, and even if they remove polyps...I felt nothing both times they removed the polyps . NOTHING. We got outa there and went to breakfast.

It is the laxative you have to take and doing without solid food the day before that is difficult. But NOT that bad. You get jello, but NOT RED or BLUE.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I would hope no one would make a decision based on an article like the link provided.

Also there are story after story of how folks lives have been saved as a result of a colonoscopy. It seems the only place we hear about the negative aspects of the procedure is in one study or another. And the recommendations based on age are (IMO) an attempt to rationalize the older one becomes the more likely they are to die from something other than what could be discovered in a colonscopy.

To each his own. All we can do is help educate those with concerns and let them do as they feel most comfortable doing (or not).
Old 02-24-2015, 09:19 AM
Platinum member

yes, I have heard of the recommendation to stop colonoscopies but I thought it was after 70, provided there is no history of polyps.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:26 AM

The only negative aspect of the procedure is you have some irritation from going to the bathroom multiple times to cleanse your colon before the procedure, i.e. the prep.
You're put to sleep like a light switch with propofol, which is ultra short acting. A good gastroenterologist can scope your colon in 15 minutes. You then wake up like a light switch. Isn't some minor skin irritation in the peri-anal area worth avoiding a killer?
Old 02-24-2015, 09:30 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,779 Times in 3,646 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiric View Post
The only negative aspect of the procedure is you have some irritation from going to the bathroom multiple times to cleanse your colon before the procedure, i.e. the prep.
You're put to sleep like a light switch with propofol, which is ultra short acting. A good gastroenterologist can scope your colon in 15 minutes. You then wake up like a light switch. Isn't some minor skin irritation in the peri-anal area worth avoiding a killer?

Just as I'm finishing my oatmeal.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.