Coronavirus Tests

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2020, 03:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I don't understand the purpose of a test, if you are positive then what. You self quarantine, which you should be doing already. I don't know why there is such a big demand to find out.

Just stay home. I just looked at the webcams and saw people walking around the squares and people in carts circling the square. I think they really should giving a insanity test, that would make more sense.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I don't understand the purpose of a test, if you are positive then what. You self quarantine, which you should be doing already. I don't know why there is such a big demand to find out.

Just stay home. I just looked at the webcams and saw people walking around the squares and people in carts circling the square. I think they really should giving a insanity test, that would make more sense.

Agree. I don’t see why this “research study” now when resources for sick people are critically limited. One poster on another thread acts like he and his wife are martyrs for participating in this study while they’re asymptomatic.

And, by the way, the deniers who were previously so vocal on this forum, self-described authorities, accusing folks of panicking, seem to have disappeared.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,181 Times in 835 Posts

Research studies to ascertain the true spread of Covid are worthwhile. The initial estimates that a large % of those exposed would catch the disease may have been too low, too high, or correct. With recognition that infection can occur with little or no symptoms, not just major illness, the epidemiology remains unclear. If in fact it can be shown that those who are symptom-free are significant spreaders that is important. If on the other hand it turns out that casual exposure to symptom free infected persons does not convey any contagious risk then symptom-free people are not a concern.
Only by finding and following those well but virus positive persons can that be answered. However, this study is not really going to answer the question fully. You really want a randomly selected population to evaluate. This is a self selected population. It may include people who have no reason to be expected to be positive. But I wonder if it might just attract people who think they have been exposed, or were a bit unwell a few days ago, or otherwise are more likely to be virus positive than a random sample.
At some point I suspect there will be random testing for the presence of Covid-19 antibodies in blood samples being done for some other reason. And that will be a better screen for what the actual incidence was. But that will be months from now.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Someone states they have symptoms, but cant get a test even when recommended by their doctor.
Then someone else is getting tested for a 'research study!'
Left and right hand do not seem to be talking!
So not from a medical background. UF is doing their own testing, using volunteers from UF. There is a different turn around time. Those who have symptoms against those who do not, may be using different methods, or may be comparing different kits. You need a base line of those who have and those who do not. This would be called the research.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:28 PM
Sage

I am pretty sure anyone who needs to get tested (recommended by their Dr.) can be tested tomorrow. Let's calm down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Someone states they have symptoms, but cant get a test even when recommended by their doctor.
Then someone else is getting tested for a 'research study!'
Left and right hand do not seem to be talking!
Old 03-22-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

When stationed in the Philippines, the Staff Judge Advocate was "in charge" of ensuring all the bar girls around Clark AB were tested regularly for STD's. It was considered to be "in the best interest" of the military members taking advantage of their services.

Said "bar girl" would actually be issues a little "certificate" to prove they were "clean"....all well and good, except after the 1st new customer, was that still the case?????

Antibody testing would be VERY helpful for Corona

Last edited by Koapaka; 03-23-2020 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xNYer View Post
Testing is not something to joke about.
Yep...
Old 03-22-2020, 05:06 PM

If you know it's coved-19 you can warn others around you that would normally help if it was just a known virus.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Anybody who needs a test can get a test. They have them, they're beautiful. They're all set. They're perfect.
Nailed it.
Old 03-22-2020, 05:10 PM

i'm not" pretty sure" I know anyone who needs to be tested can not necessarily be tested
Old 03-22-2020, 05:23 PM

The below was just taken from the UF Villages test site opening tomorrow.

No times are currently available.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:43 PM

Did
Old 03-22-2020, 06:53 PM
Platinum member

Age has nothing to do with testing. You either have symptoms or you don’t. And truly what’s the point of being tested anyway? If you are positive you will be instructed to quarantine for 14 days which you should be doing anyway. If you test negative, you should still stay home for 14 days to social distance yourself from someone who may have it.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:35 PM
Sage

I am pretty sure I have no idea what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm82444 View Post
i'm not" pretty sure" I know anyone who needs to be tested can not necessarily be tested
Old 03-22-2020, 08:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member

That’s because tomorrow is full tomorrow you’ll be able to book for Tuesday that’s the way they’re doing it so they don’t get overwhelmed. There is a questionnaire if you don’t meet the criteria you will be asked if you’d like to be in a study group.Don’t want to do it don’t go period.last week people were complaining they couldn’t get tested now you can right on property and people are complaining. Geez

Tags
tests, total, tested, county, date

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.