COVID antibodies test is coming soon where I live. Is it worth paying $400?

Closed Thread
Old 06-21-2020, 07:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
OP where did u get $400 price tag.
I'm in Canada right now. Our universal healthcare won't pay for it I heard. I don't have insurance.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:04 AM
Veteran member
Default unreliable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dendrn View Post
My husband and I both got one, against advice of our Illinois doctors who said they are unreliable. We were SURE my husband had COVID and wanted to donate plasma if so. We were told tests negative. I got copy of report. Quest cannot find my husband's test. We had test when Lake County offered for $85/$20 for residents. Many places do for $85, do not pay $400! I think too many labs have unreliable tests and are in it for the money. Wish we waited for one of approved test. Too many labs develop tests that are NOT government approved.
My sister who is a nurse in AZ said her doctor told her the test was 50% unreliable.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:28 AM
Default Covid19 antibody testing

If you donate blood @One Blood, they do free antibody testing. And you are doing a good thing to help the sick & injured😍
Old 06-21-2020, 07:39 AM

I, too, thought I had had COVID, and when the Quest test came out for $119 I went for it. I got the results with a caveat that the test had not been reviewed by the FDA and had a good chance of being inaccurate, and if I still thought I had it, I should get a molecular type test. Before you spend any money, make sure that the test has the best chance to be accurate.
Old 06-21-2020, 07:55 AM

Quest labs in Brownwood quoted $110
Old 06-21-2020, 07:56 AM

Let me get this straight you left the villages in March this is June which is 12 weeks and you think you have the virus , kind of hard to believe .
Old 06-21-2020, 08:03 AM
Smile Covid Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I feel I may have had minor symptoms of COVID after I returned home from TV in March. I'm curious if I did, and would feel good knowing I was able to fight this terrible virus, but is it worth dishing out $400 for it?
If you make an appointment with One Blood to donate a pint of blood - they do the covid antibody test for free.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:44 AM

Be aware that even if you DO have any antibodies, since you had “mild” symptoms, those antibodies aren’t as strong as someone’s who was seriously ill. No one knows how long those antibodies stay in your body, but a mild case would afford little or no future protection.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:48 AM

Oneblood.org offers free antibody testing if you donate blood (at least they did when I donated 2 weeks ago).
Old 06-21-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp192 View Post
Let me get this straight you left the villages in March this is June which is 12 weeks and you think you have the virus , kind of hard to believe .
Re-read his post. He feels that he already had it.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:12 AM
Default I got the antibody test here $129

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet2020 View Post
The best kit for antibodies IMO is the Roche kit. LabCorp uses the Roche kit for it's antibody testing. It's not an at-home test, you have to visit a LabCorp facility, but they have a lot of facilities nationwide. Your insurance may cover some or all of the cost. I thought the test was $119 if you had to pay for it yourself, but I can't find confirmation of that on a quick search. Please update us if you follow through with the test, I'm interested.

https://www.labcorp.com/coronavirus-...ore-20-initial
I too thought I had COVID-19 In January. My illness checked every box of known symptoms. I was out for about 5 to 6 weeks. Recovered. Always wondered whether it was indeed Covid or not. Since we just arrived in The Villages in April and have no doctor I was able to go online and order an antibody test from Quest labs. The total came to $129. They have facilities all over. You can choose the location near you to have blood drawn. It was worth the peace of mind. Unfortunately, I was hoping for a positive but the test came back negative. I’m still not convinced it wasn’t COVID 19.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:53 AM

Everything I’ve read, gives the impression that immunity is not long term. So you won’t know when it expires. Also, if you are positive, what change will it make to your life. You still can’t fly around the world. You could still be run over by a golf cart. If mask wearing becomes the norm, then you might get stoned to death for being the one person who wasn’t wearing a mask.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
I feel I may have had minor symptoms of COVID after I returned home from TV in March. I'm curious if I did, and would feel good knowing I was able to fight this terrible virus, but is it worth dishing out $400 for it?
Free testing in Sumter County - with or without symptoms via nasal swab. it is to see if you have COVID NOT antibodies.
Old 06-21-2020, 05:25 PM
Email Reported As Spam

The county has been doing this testing at different places each day for a price of $20. Contact the county.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd2 View Post
My sister who is a nurse in AZ said her doctor told her the test was 50% unreliable.
At the beginning of the outbreak, it was thought the best way to get a lot of test kits on the market was to open the market with little to no FDA approval process. All you had to do was register the kit with the FDA, and then you could sell it. This led to over 160 test kits being marketed, many of which were bad science, and some that were total scams.

After a couple of months of this, the FDA started clamping down. There are now 21 test kits that have received further FDA review and are at least "decent." These tests are on the FDA website page linked below.

If you go in for an antibody test, ASK WHICH TEST THE PROVIDER IS USING. If they can't tell you, don't go there. There are still a lot of crappy kits floating around. If the test is on the attached list, go for it. As mentioned in a prior post, the Roche kit has the best metrics IMO but others are also reasonably good.

P.S. Quest is using kits from Abbott, Ortho, and Euroimmun, all are on the FDA EUA list below.

EUA Authorized Serology Test Performance | FDA
Closed Thread

Tags
covid, feel, worth, $400, virus

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.