Covid got me.

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2022, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,180 Times in 1,936 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce3055 View Post
Be careful on your recovery and start back easy after a negative test. I over did it after my negative test and was wiped out. Now I'm on a more conservative recovery plan to avoid long covid issues.
Thanks for the advice. I'm really feeling great at this point but I will definitely take it easy for a few days.
Old 08-24-2022, 03:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altavia View Post

Hmm, does not match the county reporting. Link to the source of that table?

89.9% of San Diegans age six months and older are at least partially vaccinated so seeing such results is not unexpected.

Devil is in the details:

"Deaths:

15 additional deaths were reported since the last report on July 28. The region’s total is 5,424.

Of the 15 additional deaths, six were women and nine were men. They died between July 11 and July 31, 2022; 14 deaths occurred in the past two weeks.

Six of the people who died were 80 years or older, eight were in their 70s and one was in their 60s.

13 were fully vaccinated and two were not.

13 had underlying medical conditions and two had medical history pending."
Just goes to show that statistics can be manipulated. Good information!
Old 08-24-2022, 03:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
There is also the fact that most vaccines were produced as protection against the original Covid 19 strain of the virus,
More recent and updated vaccines that include defense against the newer varients are now getting to the public.
Getting like the flu shots, which basically protect against the known strains of the flu.
Actually, I saw on the news yesterday that the mRNA vaccines are able to be tweaked for the current strain that is circulating in the population at the present time. There is no guess work with these new technology vaccines. I'm so appreciative of the technology we have today.

This strain of Covid that I have is a big nothing burger for me. I'm feeling great now and my symptoms (sore throat that lasted about 15 minutes and a very occasional dry cough) started only three days ago. Today I developed a low grade fever but that is gone now with the OTC cold/flu medication I took. I know I'm not to take any fever reducing medication 24 hours before I'm to come out of quarantine and my temp has to be normal.
Old 08-24-2022, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,026 Times in 1,749 Posts

Did you take the Paxlovid treatment? If you do take it with mint or peanut butter to line your mouth. Best wishes for a quick recovery to total health.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
Just goes to show that statistics can be manipulated. Good information!
True, based on the chart Boston-Sean posted, yes, more vaccinated died from COVID but since 90% are vaccinated, you are still roughly 9 times more likely to die from COVID if not vaccinated.
Old 08-24-2022, 05:41 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The problem with these numbers is that the deaths are such a miniscule percentage of the number of cases that the difference is insignifcant.
That is true
Old 08-24-2022, 06:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Did you take the Paxlovid treatment? If you do take it with mint or peanut butter to line your mouth. Best wishes for a quick recovery to total health.
Thank you!

I contacted my PCP and asked if it is recommended to take Paxlovid. I was told that most of the doctors at The Villages Health are not recommending it. The drug is contraindicated with most drugs that seniors take, including cholesterol medication. I was also told that Paxlovid is taxing on the kidneys and liver. I said, "No thank you. I don't want to take it."

Tonight I feel perfectly fine. My onset of symptoms was a sore throat that lasted about 15 minutes. No lie.....15 minutes. Then I developed a very occasional dry cough the following day. I knew I had something and was hoping it was just a cold. This Covid virus variant is actually less than a cold for me.
Old 08-24-2022, 08:19 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Hubby and I are just home from a cruise for a couple of days and I started having symptoms of a very mild cold. We did home antigen tests and I'm positive for Covid. Hubby is negative. It is truly amazing how I don't fear this illness anymore since I've been protected with the vaccine and two boosters. It also is very comforting knowing this virus has evolved and is not nearly as virulent as the original strain.

Stay well everyone.
I wish you well and a speedy full recovery.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,090 Times in 2,750 Posts

Quote:
Hubby and I are just home from a cruise for a couple of days and I started having symptoms of a very mild cold. We did home antigen tests and I'm positive for Covid. Hubby is negative. It is truly amazing how I don't fear this illness anymore since I've been protected with the vaccine and two boosters. It also is very comforting knowing this virus has evolved and is not nearly as virulent as the original strain.

Stay well everyone.
I wouldn’t necessarily say Covid got you, going on a cruise got you. Here is wishing you a speedy recovery with no long Covid issues.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:07 AM

The covid virus particle size is a lot smaller than smoke particles.
The covid virus particle size is a lot smaller than odors given off by cooking.
The covid virus particle size is a lot smaller than the scent of flowers.
So put your mask on, and experience what you can still smell. If you can smell any of those things, your mask is useless.
Some N95 masks, if fitted properly, if worn snugly, might block some of those smells, for a short time, until saturated, and might possibly the covid virus. When you touch the outside of that mask, if that n95 did block anything, you just got contaminated.
Those paper masks, home made cloth masks, block nothing.
Try it for yourself. Educate yourself.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:38 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,142 Times in 883 Posts

Similar story how my man got Covid, and even after 3 different tests I was negative, but had what felt like a typical sinus infection/cold. It took 3 weeks to clear though for both of us. I wish you well.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:42 AM
Veteran member

Well said masks are not protecting you from anything but dust.
Old 08-25-2022, 05:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The problem with these numbers is that the deaths are such a miniscule percentage of the number of cases that the difference is insignifcant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
That is true
Perhaps it is true ... unless, of course, you or a loved one just happens to be part of the 'miniscule percentage.' And if so, perhaps—just perhaps—you just might feel a little differently.
Old 08-25-2022, 06:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Actually, I saw on the news yesterday that the mRNA vaccines are able to be tweaked for the current strain that is circulating in the population at the present time. There is no guess work with these new technology vaccines. I'm so appreciative of the technology we have today.

This strain of Covid that I have is a big nothing burger for me. I'm feeling great now and my symptoms (sore throat that lasted about 15 minutes and a very occasional dry cough) started only three days ago. Today I developed a low grade fever but that is gone now with the OTC cold/flu medication I took. I know I'm not to take any fever reducing medication 24 hours before I'm to come out of quarantine and my temp has to be normal.
So glad to hear your symptoms are very mild. We had two separate friends that had it, and their symptoms were more severe, and lasted about 10 days. Then they had lingering symptoms such as hoarseness, tiredness that lasted a couple of weeks. Apparently it affects everyone differently. You're one of the lucky ones!
Old 08-25-2022, 06:28 AM
Default booster

I got omnicron 2 weeks after my 2nd booster but it was mild with brain fog I think and weakness
Closed Thread

Tags
covid, hubby, home, boosters, protected

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.