cpap machine

Closed Thread
Old 08-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Default cpap machine

I am moving to the villages in October. I understand with lightening frequently occurring in the villages, SECO gives clients surge protectors for their computers, tv etc.
My question is this: Does anyone who uses a CPAP machine recommend using a surge protector? My supplier cannot answer this question since we rarely have lightening here in Alaska.
Thanks
Jan
Old 08-06-2013, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASteelers View Post
I am moving to the villages in October. I understand with lightening frequently occurring in the villages, SECO gives clients surge protectors for their computers, tv etc.
My question is this: Does anyone who uses a CPAP machine recommend using a surge protector? My supplier cannot answer this question since we rarely have lightening here in Alaska.
Thanks
Jan
Many other threads on this if you might want to do a search..

SECO does not provide them free but if you purchase the outside whole house protection they do (or did) leave an assortment of indoor surge protectors when they install the outside unit.

You definitely need it here I would say as there is a lot of lightning and the CPAP machine no doubt has electronics which could be taken out. Check with the manufacturer of your machine for sure if your supplier cannot help but garage door openers, irrigation controllers, phones, TVs, and others have all been taken out by lightning here.

Check it out here, you will really like SECO and the rates here are a lot better than most places.

Protect your equipment from lightning with SECO Energy's Surge Protection System

Last edited by Easyrider; 08-07-2013 at 12:33 AM.
Old 08-08-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PASteelers View Post
Thanks
Jan
You know, of all the surge protectors I have in the house, as well as the SECO-provided whole house protector (yes, I pay for this one), I never thought of one for my Bi-PAP machine—but thank you for mentioning it. I will pick one up and plug it in between the outlet and the power cord—without much thought required.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:20 AM

Jan that is a great question. I also use a c-pap machine and will be plugging my machine into a secondary inside adapter.
We just bought a home in Collier and are going with the SECO surge protection package.
Am buying the package.
Went with their package because the main surge protection is outside the house and not in the garage next to the main circuit panel. Just a personal preferance.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Platinum member

Not to hijack the original question, but please let this CPAP user plug the Sleep Apnea Support Group here in The Villages!

Meets the second Monday each month [Sep-May] at Bridgeport Rec Center, 6:30 pm.

Very informative sessions, with 'experts' brought in to tell us 'all about it,' as well as general round-table discussions!

On the subject of the original post, it definitely makes sense to let your power provider know of your special needs. They may not necessarily be able to furnish immediate power for your machine, but you will be placed higher on a priority list for repairs than an 'ordinary' citizen!

SWR
Old 08-08-2013, 06:57 PM

My suggestion is to read the Lightning Matters column in the August POA Bulletin that discusses Primary and Secondary surge protection. If you do not have a copy check the poa4us.org web site where you can find it under Archived Bulletins.

Last edited by Moderator; 08-08-2013 at 08:31 PM. Reason: corrected typo
Old 08-09-2013, 06:16 AM

Thank's for that info. Will plan on attending next meeting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swrinfla View Post
Not to hijack the original question, but please let this CPAP user plug the Sleep Apnea Support Group here in The Villages!

Meets the second Monday each month [Sep-May] at Bridgeport Rec Center, 6:30 pm.

Very informative sessions, with 'experts' brought in to tell us 'all about it,' as well as general round-table discussions!

On the subject of the original post, it definitely makes sense to let your power provider know of your special needs. They may not necessarily be able to furnish immediate power for your machine, but you will be placed higher on a priority list for repairs than an 'ordinary' citizen!

SWR
Old 08-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Wow thank you all for the wealth of information and resources. I certainly will followup on ALL of them before and after we get to our new home in the Villages. Thank you and breath well.
Jan
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.