Cpap machine advice

Old 01-14-2024, 12:30 PM
Default BiPap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Nine View Post
Hello all,
I have been using a CPAP machine for one year in October, struggling and not enjoying the tubes and equipment. I believe I am supposed to be checked by a physician at least once a year as required by either the insurance company or by Medicare.
I received extremely poor education on its use…. About 20 to 30 minutes tops.
What I am requesting is advice on a new medical practice who will help me and reeducate in Cpap use.
Currently, I am with Ocala Lung and they keep scheduling me and then canceling appointments. This has happened twice this month.
Any suggestions for a new medical practice?
Thank you
I had real problems with CPAP, changed to a BiPAP, much better solution for me. I also use the dreamware mask that the hose comes in on top of the head. Nasal pillows for me with heated humidity. In my opinion, The clincher was BiPAP. With BiPAP it's less forceful air and I'm able to breathe fairly normally. Good luck
Old 01-14-2024, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Hello all,
I have been using a CPAP machine for one year in October, struggling and not enjoying the tubes and equipment. I believe I am supposed to be checked by a physician at least once a year as required by either the insurance company or by Medicare.
I received extremely poor education on its use…. About 20 to 30 minutes tops.
What I am requesting is advice on a new medical practice who will help me and reeducate in Cpap use.
Currently, I am with Ocala Lung and they keep scheduling me and then canceling appointments. This has happened twice this month.
Any suggestions for a new medical practice?
Thank you
Maybe a home health agency nurse could show you exactly what to do? If Ocala Lung can't get you in maybe your primary care physician could write a prescription for home health. I'm not sure if this would work or not but you could start by calling a few home health agencies to find out if they do this sort of thing.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Thank you everyone for all your valuable information. I’m not having issues using it or understanding how to use it. My continuous issues are feeling comfortable with it and finding a medical practice/ doctor that is easier to deal with …… I will refer to some of the websites suggested.
My provider recommended an ESON mask (nose spelled backward) and I love it. I think the trick is finding the mask that works for you.

You should be able to go to a cpap durable medical provider and try and be fitted with different masks to see what works for you. Not the doctor's office but the equipment provider.

Good luck!
Old 01-14-2024, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpate View Post
I don't have a recommendation for a medical practice but do have several suggestions for it's use.
1. Yes, cpap effectiveness should be checked annually by MD pulmonologist or CPAP technician for effectiveness & changing of pressures. A whole host of events can cause ur machine to not to work effectively.
2. Annual check can be done on site or in person.
3. Washing tubing, masks etc at least q2 days in hot soapy water is required. Baby shampoo the best. Otherwise pulm infections can and do occur & when they do, they're hard to treat.
4. Change mask & tubing q6mos from supplier.
5. Change white filter monthly.
6. Call supplier to schedule another education class & make sure they cover cleaning requirements.
7. Call supplier for recommendations on MD practices that will manage ur use & changes.

Ur sleep quality is the key to successfil medical condition mgmt. Otherwise, don't bother using the machine!

Hope this helps!
what is q2 days?

Always be humble and kind.
Old 01-14-2024, 05:50 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpate View Post
I don't have a recommendation for a medical practice but do have several suggestions for it's use.
1. Yes, cpap effectiveness should be checked annually by MD pulmonologist or CPAP technician for effectiveness & changing of pressures. A whole host of events can cause ur machine to not to work effectively.
2. Annual check can be done on site or in person.
3. Washing tubing, masks etc at least q2 days in hot soapy water is required. Baby shampoo the best. Otherwise pulm infections can and do occur & when they do, they're hard to treat.

5. Change white filter monthly.

6. Call supplier to schedule another education class & make sure they cover cleaning requirements.

7. Call supplier for recommendations on MD practices that will manage ur use & changes.

Ur sleep quality is the key to successfil medical condition mgmt. Otherwise, don't bother using the machine!

Hope this helps!

Overkill to the nth degree. CPAP machines are about as durable and dependable as a Toyota Camry.

All you need to do, is check your AHI and if you're under 5, you're nearly perfect. Less than 15 is acceptable.

I clean my machine about every month or two. Medicare will send you so many hoses & masks, you hardly ever have to touch them ... just put it on every night.

I have 2 machines, at 2 homes. One is 3 years old, 1 is 10 years old. I don't fill them with water, nor use the "heater". I'm traveling this week and I split my machine in half and left the water reservoir at home, to save on luggage space. My AHI is always under "2". and "mask fit" over 99%. That's the only thing you really need to be concerned about, is results.

Last edited by BrianL99; 01-14-2024 at 05:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:21 PM

I suggest you start with a Dreamwear nasal mask. If that doesn't work because you breath through your mouth, change to a Dreamwear full-face mask. Make sure the CPAP machine is set to slowly ramp up the pressure when you start treatment each night.

Once you get a setup like you like, you'll probably love sleeping with it. And your health will be much better off.
Old 01-15-2024, 04:34 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jump4 View Post
I suggest you start with a Dreamwear nasal mask. If that doesn't work because you breath through your mouth, change to a Dreamwear full-face mask. Make sure the CPAP machine is set to slowly ramp up the pressure when you start treatment each night.

Do you know the OP? Do you know the size of his head? Shape of his head? His nose? Ear location? Do you know how he breathes? In what position he sleeps?

There are 100's of masks available. To suggest a specific mask is better or more appropriate for someone you likely don't know and have never ever seen sleeping, is ludicrous on its face.

What works for you, could be the antithesis of what's proper and might work for someone else.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:41 AM

A lot of people are on C-pap machines because they are overweight. After I lost weight I no long longer needed to use one and I was much healthier overall. I hated using one.
Old 01-15-2024, 07:53 AM

I go here. Very satisfied.
Lake Pulmonary And Sleep Disorders Clinic
501 Medical Plaza Dr Ste 102, Leesburg, FL, 34748
(352) 728-0709
Old 01-15-2024, 10:13 AM
Default Moving from CPAP to Inspire

If you have moved to an Inspire device - at what step is the device set at for your use?
Old 01-16-2024, 10:32 AM
Veteran member

Dr Balingit, and Southern Respiratory.
Old 01-16-2024, 02:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

What seemed to have worked for sleep apnea for hubby, is a facial slimming wrap. The wrap keeps him from opening his mouth too wide, especially if he wears the wrap a bit forwards, gives him good sleep and a bonus nice jaw line. He measures his blood oxygen level at night using the Apple Watch (which does it automatically all night long). It costs less than $16 from Amazon. (I think it only comes in pink but he has zero masculinity issues.) I’m just sharing.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	102270  
Old 01-16-2024, 03:22 PM

There's a lady in the Ocala Lung office that specializes in CPAP machines and she is very good and helpful, try to get an appointment with her, its worth it. In 10 months I have learned to really like my machine after 3 different types of masks/nose pillows
Old 01-17-2024, 11:49 AM
Veteran member
Thumbs down 2 Pulmonologist opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
When the implant questions came up spouse had a long discussion with 2 colleagues that are pulmonologist, our granddaughter who does sleep studies, and 2 residents who does procedure and a nurse at sleep clinic.

Qualified as a candidate, did extensive research on negative issues, on why there could be failures. So 6 extensive conversations, each with the same in-depth information. Possible implications of implant issues, and some positive real time results, such as no more equipment, hoses masks.

Negative was some have issue with the device because it is located from the back of the throat. Gag reflexes are a problem. The constant buzz they sometimes can wake you. Some patients still end up back on Cpap with the implant, to alleviate some issues.

The fail rate was higher than I expected, plus…

If you have had mastectomy, scar tissues may not allow proper placement of implant.
Spouse was offered the implant and procedure at no cost, and turned it down. With history of gag issues, a mastectomy and the sleep clinic pass fail rate and possible return to Cpap need, it was a hard NO.
I recently questioned 2 different Pulmonologist on INSPIRE alternative to CPAP and both were not what I would consider positive on the implant. I'm not a fan of CPAP (Noise, dry mouth, comfort, maintenance> believe me I tried a bunch of masks) and wish there was a different simpler alternative. When they didn't recommend it I didn't push the issue. Their opinion could be relative to me and different for you of course. I have a pacemaker and watchman scheduled and one comment was I had enough equipment in my body. If the Dr isn't trying to make more money by doing a procedure on you that good enough for me

Tags
cpap, advice, year, machine, medical

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.