Cpap machine advice

Old 01-13-2024, 08:41 AM

Many people that have issues with their mask is really driven by being annoyed from the hose. One trick to try is having the hose loop up above you and hang down to the mask. Some use a retractable cord to keep it above you, but still allows it to easily move down as you move around.
Old 01-13-2024, 09:31 AM

I’ve been using this instead of the machine and it’s made a definite improvement regarding my snoring and quality of sleep. It’s not for everyone, though you may want to look into it. Good luck.
https://somnomed.com/en/
Old 01-13-2024, 11:03 AM

Remember the Phillips recall !!!
Old 01-13-2024, 12:15 PM

Thank you all for such excellent information! You guys rock ! Only one slightly sarcastic line in all of these fantastic replies. When does that ever happen in so many of these online sites?

Yes, I do struggle with a Cpap machine not because I’m stupid but because I began using it at the tail end of Covid pandemic and was not allowed to even try various masks fit….plus cursory instructions on its use. I think many of you have nailed it. It’s all about the comfort of the mask in the long run.

I’ve just got to go back to the drawing board and also maybe join a group that offers assistance.

I hope this thread may help someone in the future who struggles with the whole process of having hoses, masks, head gear and continuous air pumping through your nose when you’re trying to relax comfortably for sleep.
Again many thanks to all who took time to answer and offer help with my problem.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

according to Medicare, at least 4 hours a night is required. I see my doc every 6 months where he reads the sim card and reports findings back to Medicare, which is required. Medicare pays for your machine for the first year, if they don't get the required information, they can take the machine back, or make you pay for it. I just changed supplier companies to NewAir located in Eustis 352-589-6247 and they are excellent. I used to go to Five Star in Fruitland Park, but they closed up. You are supposed to get new supplies every 3 or 6 months. New water basin, new tubing, new pillow inserts, or new mask if that is what you use that Medicare pays for. My doc gave me a list of supplies you are supposed to get according to Medicare. Ask your doc for that. I use Resmed products.

Last edited by bowlingal; 01-15-2024 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-14-2024, 07:46 AM
Default CPAP advice

Dr. Albino in Lady Lake. However, that was all the instruction I was given. The pulmonologist does not provide the instructions. You should contact the company who provided you the equipment and describe what problems you are having.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud Nine View Post
Hello all,
I have been using a CPAP machine for one year in October, struggling and not enjoying the tubes and equipment. I believe I am supposed to be checked by a physician at least once a year as required by either the insurance company or by Medicare.
I received extremely poor education on its use…. About 20 to 30 minutes tops.
What I am requesting is advice on a new medical practice who will help me and reeducate in Cpap use.
Currently, I am with Ocala Lung and they keep scheduling me and then canceling appointments. This has happened twice this month.
Any suggestions for a new medical practice?
Thank you
Old 01-14-2024, 08:27 AM

Dr Albino has a sleep lab that will do a study and try different masks during the process to ensure a good mask fit.
There is also a support club in the villages that meets at Bridgeport Rec center on the second Monday of the month. Next meeting is Feb 12th at 6:30.
I have found no good equipment suppliers in TV area. I have been trying for 15 years and always found suppliers that are just ok.
Old 01-14-2024, 08:38 AM
Default mask

Get this mask have straps just touch your skin when on slide around and adjust straps to stop leaking air. It's design makes it suck to your face to seal and does not have to be tight

Mirage Activa™️ LT nasal mask - ResMed Healthcare Professional
Old 01-14-2024, 08:58 AM

I tried a cpap machine a few years ago and gave up on it. I just found a very small machine that goes under the nostrils. No hoses. It's battery powered. Sold by Vixily. I just ordered it. I'm a little skeptical because of the very low price but I will try it.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:00 AM
Location: Lived in MD, SC, DE, PA, VA, CA, Italy, Spain, USNS Comfort & Mercy...moved from New Mexico
Default CPAP machine management

I don't have a recommendation for a medical practice but do have several suggestions for it's use.
1. Yes, cpap effectiveness should be checked annually by MD pulmonologist or CPAP technician for effectiveness & changing of pressures. A whole host of events can cause ur machine to not to work effectively.
2. Annual check can be done on site or in person.
3. Washing tubing, masks etc at least q2 days in hot soapy water is required. Baby shampoo the best. Otherwise pulm infections can and do occur & when they do, they're hard to treat.
4. Change mask & tubing q6mos from supplier.
5. Change white filter monthly.
6. Call supplier to schedule another education class & make sure they cover cleaning requirements.
7. Call supplier for recommendations on MD practices that will manage ur use & changes.

Ur sleep quality is the key to successfil medical condition mgmt. Otherwise, don't bother using the machine!

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Hello all,
I have been using a CPAP machine for one year in October, struggling and not enjoying the tubes and equipment. I believe I am supposed to be checked by a physician at least once a year as required by either the insurance company or by Medicare.
What I am requesting is advice on a new medical practice who will help me and reeducate in Cpap use.
Currently, I am with Ocala Lung and they keep scheduling me and then canceling appointments. This has happened twice this month.
Thank you
Old 01-14-2024, 09:31 AM

I go to Dr Juan Albino. he has a sleep lab on premises. my DME is New Air, and have been wonderful. Came to my house for initial setup and education, I can call them at any time with issues if needed. I see Dr Albino every 4 months, although that will now go to yearly. He is right next to Villages Hospital.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:35 AM

My cardiologist put me on CPAP. Any of your doctors can do it.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbirdtobe View Post
I have been trying for 15 years and always found suppliers that are just ok.
I'm still using my supplier from my former state. My local pulmonologist updated the script or whatever documentation they needed and they just ship me my supplies as I request them.
Old 01-14-2024, 09:50 AM
Default Cpap option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Fr View Post
I tried a cpap machine a few years ago and gave up on it. I just found a very small machine that goes under the nostrils. No hoses. It's battery powered. Sold by Vixily. I just ordered it. I'm a little skeptical because of the very low price but I will try it.
I tried the little battery powered cpap advertised. Used it one night. Was much louder than I thought it would be and was not comfortable, to me ! I look at it as a gimmick!
Old 01-14-2024, 11:34 AM
Default Cpap problems

Quote:
Hello all,
Thank you
I also have a like/hate feeling about Cpap. Some do great but many get poor support. The first supplier never called or replaced anything after I got the machine. So I asked for a different supplier and now have Southern Respiratory which I find maybe even overzealous in wanting to send stuff that ":is Medicare covered" Well it is but there are some copays. However you may want to call them and request a visit or demo from a therapist. I think the doctors just order the settings and rely on others for fitting and supplies.

Tags
cpap, advice, year, machine, medical

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.