CPAP Replacement Advice

Closed Thread
Old 10-25-2022, 10:52 AM
Default CPAP Replacement Advice

I need advice on replacing my Philips Respironics System One CPAP machine. As you may know, the System One is too old to be repaired under the recall. Philips will give me $50 for it.

My sleep study in 2013 and I was diagnosed with borderline severe sleep apnea. Can you recommend a Pulmonologist in the area (live near Brownwood) that can help me obtain a prescription and/or replacement machine. Not sure if I would require another sleep study.

Trying to decide if I want to use my insurance for machine purchase or not. In reviewing receipts, it looks like insurance, plus my deductible, paid well over $2500 for my System One. A new ResMed AirSense 10 can be purchased online, with a prescription, for around $1000.

Using insurance for supplies was overly expensive too. Instead, I started purchasing the same supplies from other online vendors or eBay six years ago at greatly reduced costs.

Thank you!
Nate
Old 10-25-2022, 03:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsisaac View Post
I need advice on replacing my Philips Respironics System One CPAP machine. As you may know, the System One is too old to be repaired under the recall. Philips will give me $50 for it.

My sleep study in 2013 and I was diagnosed with borderline severe sleep apnea. Can you recommend a Pulmonologist in the area (live near Brownwood) that can help me obtain a prescription and/or replacement machine. Not sure if I would require another sleep study.

Trying to decide if I want to use my insurance for machine purchase or not. In reviewing receipts, it looks like insurance, plus my deductible, paid well over $2500 for my System One. A new ResMed AirSense 10 can be purchased online, with a prescription, for around $1000.

Using insurance for supplies was overly expensive too. Instead, I started purchasing the same supplies from other online vendors or eBay six years ago at greatly reduced costs.

Thank you!
Nate
My wife uses MyDMEDoc, in Spanish Springs for CPAP and supplies (note we are on Medicare) and service has been very good. I few years ago I had to replace her CPAP when the humidifier portion failed, and Medicare would not cover the replacement, MyDMEdoc was able to help.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:24 PM
Default Thank you!

villagetinker, appreciate the advice. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Maybe they can recommend a doctor too.
Old 10-25-2022, 07:38 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Why can’t your primary physician do it.? You already are approved for a device. Online prices far better than stores. It’s a commodity in a box.
Old 10-26-2022, 10:22 AM

Babubhat,
Thank you for the reply. My doctor's staff that answer his email are less than helpful. Kept saying that they cannot purchase a machine for me, when all I asked for was a prescription. Said I needed to see a pulmonologist.

Like you said, all I need is the prescription, then buy one online. Just called a doctor in Leesburg that specializes in sleep disorders, but he only does that work for his regular patients. Maybe I just need to switch out of The Villages Health System for a local doctor.
Closed Thread

Tags
system, machine, insurance, sleep, study

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.