Degenerative diseases of the elderly: Are they all genetic?

Closed Thread
Old 09-08-2012, 07:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The way to change anyone's mind about your philosophy or your religion or your regemin is to live well, and to act in such a way that folks enjoy being with you and to be so happy that others see a reason to emulate your ways.
If I tried living well and acting in a good way as a means to getting my ideas across, would anyone see it on the internet? I'm not exactly sure how that works.

Quote:
Continuing to repeat and repeat, to harp on the same subject again and again is not teaching. It is parenting.
That's because, on the internet, there are constantly new people passing through who haven't heard the message. And as long as someone responds, especially in negative ways, there is something to discuss. There are always new threads on the board with subjects I'm not interested in so I don't participate. But when I do that, I'm "acting in a certain way," but I guess no one sees it. So I have to say it: If a thread is not of interest, why participate?

Quote:
I very much appreciate those things I have learned from Jimbo and VillagesPl. and have changed my diet in a couple of ways due to the research that they have linked me to from medical teaching institutions that I trust. I am eating less beef and more chicken and fish.
Always glad to be of help. Sorry if that sounds kind of flat but I'm not very good at taking compliments. Especially after being worn-down by all the naysayers. I need to get some rest.

Quote:
I should maybe rethink my drinking habits. I don't come anywhere close to the case of beer my father drank daily before he died at 94.
Are you a beer drinker? How can anyone drink beer and maintain a normal weight? I know I would feel bloated if I drank just one.
Old 09-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Sage

Each day brings something new.

Genetics Breakthrough Changes Thinking About DNA

Soon, maybe we'll have more answers to the topic question in this thread....Degenerative diseases of the Elderly...Are They All Genetic?

Might not be everyday reading for many of you, but hopefully, this can help us all.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
Each day brings something new.

Genetics Breakthrough Changes Thinking About DNA

Soon, maybe we'll have more answers to the topic question in this thread....Degenerative diseases of the Elderly...Are They All Genetic?

Might not be everyday reading for many of you, but hopefully, this can help us all.
USF Health Alliance had a lecture on this subject several months ago and a doctor suggested that it probably won't help us in our lifetime. Most doctors will never say that genes are "context sensitive" because that would suggest that we can do something for ourselves now. And doing something for ourselves has nothing to do with the practice of medicine. The USF Health Alliance, and those doing genetic research, would rather have us just wait and do nothing, rather than cause a distraction from research.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
As a fatalist you must believe you r here for a pre-determined purpose, if you don't stay in good heath you may not be able to accomplish that purpose and then what
Jimbo for a moment lets assume that your belief in the way you live is right. Who though is to say what the pre-determined purpose of one life is? maybe the pre-determined purpose is ill health and by accomplishing ill health medical knowledge is advanced and thousands of others enjoy the benefits of one person accomplishing their pre-determined purpose, ill health, who knows?
Old 09-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Veteran member
Default Cantwait

That is so true. Can't tell you what a gift my late husband's early death from colon cancer has been to all of us. He truly was a gift both in life and in death and I was truly blessed to have had him in my life if only until he was 37.

I never would have learned and wanted to learn all that I have since then and my second husband too is a blessing as he has encouraged me to continue on this path, which he had too had been on.

We don't know why things happen the way they do, but there is a silver lining to every apparent misfortune and it isn't usually seen except in hindsight.

Thank you for pointing this out. It is such an important perspective and can add so much joy to your life. No one benefits from staying stuck in sad memories.

LW888
Old 09-09-2012, 06:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightworker888 View Post
That is so true. Can't tell you what a gift my late husband's early death from colon cancer has been to all of us. He truly was a gift both in life and in death and I was truly blessed to have had him in my life if only until he was 37.

I never would have learned and wanted to learn all that I have since then and my second husband too is a blessing as he has encouraged me to continue on this path, which he had too had been on.

We don't know why things happen the way they do, but there is a silver lining to every apparent misfortune and it isn't usually seen except in hindsight.

Thank you for pointing this out. It is such an important perspective and can add so much joy to your life. No one benefits from staying stuck in sad memories.

LW888
LW888 what a GREAT attitude and outlook on life.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
Jimbo for a moment lets assume that your belief in the way you live is right. Who though is to say what the pre-determined purpose of one life is? maybe the pre-determined purpose is ill health and by accomplishing ill health medical knowledge is advanced and thousands of others enjoy the benefits of one person accomplishing their pre-determined purpose, ill health, who knows?
I'm not touching that one..............................
Old 09-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantwaittoarrive View Post
That's right, who is to say what the purpose is? No one! So let's just do our best. What's the alternative, to do our worst? Even if we, here in The Villages, all enjoyed excellent health, there would still be millions of people in poor health. I'll be content to let others offer up their poor health for the advancement of medical knowledge.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
USF Health Alliance had a lecture on this subject several months ago and a doctor suggested that it probably won't help us in our lifetime. Most doctors will never say that genes are "context sensitive" because that would suggest that we can do something for ourselves now. And doing something for ourselves has nothing to do with the practice of medicine. The USF Health Alliance, and those doing genetic research, would rather have us just wait and do nothing, rather than cause a distraction from research.
None of us can know what the entire medical community thinks or what their motives are. There are many doctors to choose from in this world and so far I have had some very ethical, very well educated physicians who were focused on doing their job right and who followed the Hippocratic oath .

I am surprised, because of my experiences with doctors to meet people who think that the entire medical community are out to delude them.

I trust the doctors we consult more than I would trust a layman who has a theory .
Old 09-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
None of us can know what the entire medical community thinks or what their motives are. There are many doctors to choose from in this world and so far I have had some very ethical, very well educated physicians who were focused on doing their job right and who followed the Hippocratic oath .
All of your above statements are true but you do not take into account the fact of their education, training, desire to try something different and time constraints. For the most part they are educated and trained to treat symptoms with medications.

Quote:
I am surprised, because of my experiences with doctors to meet people who think that the entire medical community are out to delude them.
For the most part, doctors are as unknowledgeable about nutrition as the general population. Although, I'm sure they know certain things like not to combine grapefruit with certain meds. etc..

Quote:
I trust the doctors we consult more than I would trust a layman who has a theory .
Trust them for what? That's the all important question. I'm sure they are very good at prescribing medicine, inserting stints, doing bypass operations and removing prostates etc.. In other words, they are very good at practicing medicine as usual. It's profitable.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.