Dental cleaning

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2023, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenwelsh View Post
In April paid $89, with $40 back from insurance.
Where was this?
Old 06-08-2023, 05:52 AM

Call ahead and ask what the charge will be. Aspen dental is absolutely the worse for uncharging. Never go there. Most dentists want X-rays also, which is appropriate, but cost more. I found a dentist, Lake Miona Dental, that offered free full mouth X-rays and cleaning free (first visit). However that was about 4 years ago. They are in Oxford on 466 right near the Walmart. Give them a call.
Old 06-08-2023, 05:58 AM

I’ve been using Dental Care at Magnolia Plaza since the day they opened and they took my Florida Blue Dental Insurance. They confirmed a recent appointment, then the day before the appointment, they called and said they no longer take Florida Blue Dental. THE DAY BEFORE THE APPOINTMENT! Has this happened to anyone else and have you found another dentist that takes Florida Blue? I have Traditional Medicare and a separate Florida Blue Dental policy… I do not have Medicare Advantage with Dental.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:05 AM
Veteran member

I have trouble finding a dentist to do just an exam and cleaning. Dentist have found the deep cleaning pays much better than routine service my last three different dentist wanted $ 6000.00 root canal bone graphs and implant, another only did deep cleaning not routine ,my last one wanted partial deep clean with every three month visit to maintain . Does anyone know of an old fashion dentist that cleans teeth fills any cavities in this area?
Old 06-08-2023, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
I have trouble finding a dentist to do just an exam and cleaning. Dentist have found the deep cleaning pays much better than routine service my last three different dentist wanted $ 6000.00 root canal bone graphs and implant, another only did deep cleaning not routine ,my last one wanted partial deep clean with every three month visit to maintain . Does anyone know of an old fashion dentist that cleans teeth fills any cavities in this area?
Dr. Chris Lunsford in Leesburg.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Hello. Would anyone care to share what they pay for a cleaning? We do not have dental insurance and pay 109.00. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks.
our insurance covers 2 cleanings and X-rays each year free. I guess each insurance policy is different
Old 06-08-2023, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Hello. Would anyone care to share what they pay for a cleaning? We do not have dental insurance and pay 109.00. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks.
Love Careington 500 Dental Discount plan found online. Have had it since 2008. There are dentists in T V that take Careington 500 plans. I put a link below for their pricing sheet that hopefully opens up. Signing up is like $150 and it starts at sign up. Check it out online. It really helps if you don't have insurance.

PDFfiller

Last edited by GizmoWhiskers; 06-08-2023 at 06:35 AM.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72eagleman View Post
Because Marion Dental wanted to charge me $1,040.00 for deep cleaning.
You need to be careful. Part of the checkup is to measure the gaps in your gums. This is the area between the gum line and the bottom of the gum at each tooth. If your gaps are more than 4-5mm you need a deep cleaning becasue your toothbrush will not reach these areas and over time bacteria will build up, you gums where you can't see will get inflamed and you can loose the tooth. This happens as we get older and only great oral hygene is going to avoid this.

If Marian dental told you that you need this, I would get it done since they are very honest and will not do unnecessary work. You can get a second opinion but if you find a dentist who will just do a regular cleaning with a condition like this, you are just fooling yourself.
Old 06-08-2023, 06:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,784 Times in 1,246 Posts

Has anyone seen published data demonstrating the benefits of deep cleaning vs the risks?

Particularly for someone 65+?
Old 06-08-2023, 06:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
You need to be careful. Part of the checkup is to measure the gaps in your gums. This is the area between the gum line and the bottom of the gum at each tooth. If your gaps are more than 4-5mm you need a deep cleaning becasue your toothbrush will not reach these areas and over time bacteria will build up, you gums where you can't see will get inflamed and you can loose the tooth. This happens as we get older and only great oral hygene is going to avoid this.

If Marian dental told you that you need this, I would get it done since they are very honest and will not do unnecessary work. You can get a second opinion but if you find a dentist who will just do a regular cleaning with a condition like this, you are just fooling yourself.
That may be true for some people. But, when I came to the Villages 7 years ago, I went to one of the largest dental practices and they recommended 3 crowns and a deep cleaning for a total cost of $6,000. I called my old dentist in Virginia, who I had been seeing every 6 months, and he said that I didn't need any of those procedures. Since then, I have been going to a dentist in Leesburg, getting regular cleanings, and have no gum issues at all. I didn't even know what a deep cleaning was until I moved to The Villages.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:03 AM

I paid $1,100 for deep cleaning!
Never went back.
My current dentist charges $160.00 for regular cleaning.
Old 06-08-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
We have dental insurance. Preventative services (cleaning, exams) cost zero.

I'm probably unlike a lot of people in TV (also posting here) in that ever since my first visit to my current dentist three years ago I've been treated fairly. Nobody tried to line their pockets at my expense. Twice now I've gone in unscheduled; once for a broken tooth and the last time for a filling that I had lost, and both times I fully expected a crown--wouldn't have argued had they suggested one. Both times however they repaired the tooth without going the expensive crown route: first time the dentist (Dr. Ha) said she could fill it--and did. Second on was six months ago and a restoration on one of my eye teeth had decided to part company with the tooth. Dr. Ha had left the practice and the guy who had replaced her (Ukrainian, can't recall the name but a darned good dentist) said that a crown was a last resort: he could restore it without going that route--and did.

By the way, I am served by Marion Dental Group. By Billy's Cafe on 446.
My husband and I have used Dr. Wallace at Marion Dental Group over 5 years and have had the same experience. We don’t have dental insurance and Dr. Wallace doesn’t recommend unneeded treatment and looks for ways to save us money.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Do they do measurements of the pockets between your teeth and keep the measurements on file ?
$185
Old 06-08-2023, 08:38 AM

I went to Smile design. $3,923.00 for a deep cleaning, Then need to return every 3 months for a regular cleaning. Goodbye!
Old 06-08-2023, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Unless they take xrays. Be careful when they want to do deep cleaning.
As a retired dentist and winner of the "perio" award back in the school days, I'll second that caution. Periodontics has become *very* interesting. . .
Closed Thread

Tags
pay, dental, cleaning, reasonable, sound

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.