Dental cleaning

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2023, 12:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I just had a cleaning and fluoride varnish last month. Both were covered by my insurance which is UHC Advantage Dental. I had no co-pay.

The provider billed $113 for the cleaning but I had insurance so the provider was only paid $58.

The provider billed $52 for the fluoride varnish but I had insurance so the provider was only paid $26.

I have never heard of a fluoride varnish before moving to the Villages. If it weren't covered by insurance, I would have skipped it.
The varnish costs less than $2, and you just paint it on the teeth. Takes only a minute or less. Not a bad add-on for $26, let alone $58.
Old 06-09-2023, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
The varnish costs less than $2, and you just paint it on the teeth. Takes only a minute or less. Not a bad add-on for $26, let alone $58.
In my opinion, two dollars is two dollars too much.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:11 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,323 Times in 597 Posts

From reading this post, it appears that the vast majority of people liked their dentist up north and that the vast majority do not like their dentist in The Villages.

I am trying to figure out why this is the case. Why the price gouging down here and not up north? Why do they recommend treatment down here that they didn't recommend up north? Are the dentists up north incompetent?

Is there any state organization that regulates dentists in Florida? If they are constantly recommending unnecessary treatment, I would think that the state - and the insurance companies - would be interested in that.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
From reading this post, it appears that the vast majority of people liked their dentist up north and that the vast majority do not like their dentist in The Villages.

I am trying to figure out why this is the case. Why the price gouging down here and not up north? Why do they recommend treatment down here that they didn't recommend up north? Are the dentists up north incompetent?

Is there any state organization that regulates dentists in Florida? If they are constantly recommending unnecessary treatment, I would think that the state - and the insurance companies - would be interested in that.
The Florida Board of Dentistry

Florida Board of
Dentistry >> Licensing and Registration- Licensing, Renewals & Information

One problem is that there is a lot of judgment in dentristry. If a tooth is cracked, some dentists will automatically recommend a crown. But, a more conservative dentist will do nothing until the tooth breaks, which may occur in a year, in 5 years, or never.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 06-09-2023 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-09-2023, 01:27 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,323 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
The Florida Board of Dentistry

Florida Board of
Dentistry >> Licensing and Registration- Licensing, Renewals & Information

One problem is that there is a lot of judgement in dentristry. If a tooth is cracked, some dentists will automatically recommend a crown. But, a more conservative dentist will do nothing until the tooth breaks, which may occur in a year, in 5 years, or never.
Thanks for the post. I just looked at the website.

Examples of complaints that may be investigated

Practicing below minimum standards or negligence
Impairment/medical condition
Advertising violation
Sexual misconduct with a patient
Misfilled/mislabeled prescription
Failure to release patient records

Examples of complaints that may not be investigated
Fee disputes (broken or missed appointments)
Billing disputes
Personality conflicts
Bedside manner or rudeness

It doesn't appear that they can or will investigate unnecessary dental work (deep cleaning, root canals, etc.) or charging excessive rates for dental work.
Old 06-15-2023, 02:34 PM

You definitely can file complaints. Check other links on the top of the website. Select Home, then Complaints. Lots of information there. Too many dentists are in The Villages are charging for services such as deep cleaning that are not necessary.
Old 07-09-2023, 09:17 AM

Quote:

I am total agreement with you in that I can’t figure out what the heck is the problem here in TV. I’v had three other dentists in my life and they were all in Jacksonville, FL. I never had any of them do what the ones here in TV try to do. Same with my husband’s dentists. So, northern dentists nor FL dentists have issues. It’s literally TV area dentists. In Jacksonville, they never upsold services, played the deep cleaning game or charged as much as they do here. I have only been here for 3 years. My nephew is a dentist in Jacksonville and he just shakes his head in disbelief. I am thankful I found Dr Herb Bennett in Leesburg. He’s like having a normal dentist again.
Old 07-09-2023, 11:45 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,091 Times in 298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
Hello. Would anyone care to share what they pay for a cleaning? We do not have dental insurance and pay 109.00. Does that sound reasonable? Thanks.
No, it doesn't, at least not anywhere but Florida.

In Texas, my annual dental checkup included xrays, cleaning (better than what they call "deep" here), and an exam for $120. Fillings were $30-$150. Crowns $500. I had a difficult implant done the year before we moved here that cost $5000 -- which seemed high until I experienced Florida scam dentisty.

My last three checkups and cleanings in Florida were each $400-$600, most of which was paid by insurance (although last time they billed me for a "deep cleaning" and refused to refund it, even after United confirmed it was covered, until they got the check months later). My last "treatment plan" says they want to replace two crowns and add a third one for $6,000.

I've seen three different dentists since we moved here, trying to find one that isn't a crook. All of their fake "treatment plans" have been for different teeth and procedures. The last dentist was the only time I've been able to schedule both the exam and cleaning on the same appointment, and that was only due to a cancellation.

If there is a real dentist in the tri-county area, I haven't been about to find him.
Old 07-09-2023, 12:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Yes, there is. My wife, who is retired from practice, found them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
No, it doesn't, at least not anywhere but Florida.

In Texas, my annual dental checkup included xrays, cleaning (better than what they call "deep" here), and an exam for $120. Fillings were $30-$150. Crowns $500. I had a difficult implant done the year before we moved here that cost $5000 -- which seemed high until I experienced Florida scam dentisty.

My last three checkups and cleanings in Florida were each $400-$600, most of which was paid by insurance (although last time they billed me for a "deep cleaning" and refused to refund it, even after United confirmed it was covered, until they got the check months later). My last "treatment plan" says they want to replace two crowns and add a third one for $6,000.

I've seen three different dentists since we moved here, trying to find one that isn't a crook. All of their fake "treatment plans" have been for different teeth and procedures. The last dentist was the only time I've been able to schedule both the exam and cleaning on the same appointment, and that was only due to a cancellation.

If there is a real dentist in the tri-county area, I haven't been about to find him.
Closed Thread

Tags
pay, dental, cleaning, reasonable, sound

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.