Dentist recommendation. Retired federal employee w/blue cross dental insurance

Old 11-11-2023, 09:46 AM

I went to this group six months ago and loved them. Dr. Ivy Tran.
Dental Care At Magnolia
352-626-9033
2203 Everglades Ln
The Villages
They are the most caring dental company that I have ever had. I have Florida blue and they take that and Humana Medicare. I highly recommend them.
Old 11-11-2023, 09:55 AM
Default Dental Insurance

I am a FED. retiree and have lived in TV for 13 years. I have found only one (1) dentist who is a (in the network) dentist. In the network saves you a lot of money, but it costs the dentist the same. Thus, none are "in network". The one who is a network is Lake Sumter Dentist. I used them for a short time, but their work was below par. If anyone knows of other "in network" dentists, please let the others know who they are.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzepecki View Post
Yes, you do. You need x-rays once a year. They were being responsible, you weren’t.

They all want their own x-rays, if I have X-ray month ago they want to do their own. Nexts comes the deep cleaning, even if I had my teeth cleaned 5 months ago. Next comes caps, crowns, and root canal’s were the real money made. Dental insurance more or less useless. They don’t pay till you have banked enough money and then lucky if pays half.
Old 11-11-2023, 10:27 AM

Prime dentistry on Office manager Kristal 352-674-9077 8640 E county Rd. 466
Or Dr. Hall 352-307-1753 Summerfield across from Walmart behind CVS.
Old 11-11-2023, 11:20 AM
Sage

Not necessarily true about x-rays, deep cleanings, etc. You just need to go to a better dentist and that may require going outside the bubble. My dentist was happy with previous x-rays (it was a full mouth series) during the new patient visit since they were current, and they don’t suggest unneeded procedures. If you are a new patient, they will probably not be OK with just bite wings from a previous office, regardless of how current they are. They did mention that they have a fair number of patients from The Villages that complained about unneeded procedures by their dentist in The Villages (which was why they switched). You will, in general, require x-rays annually.

I agree about insurance. I self insure for dental. My dentist charges $212 per year for 2 prophies, annual bite wings, and annual exam by the dentist. I don’t recall exactly, but they may be doing a full mouth series, or a panex, every 5 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
They all want their own x-rays, if I have X-ray month ago they want to do their own. Nexts comes the deep cleaning, even if I had my teeth cleaned 5 months ago. Next comes caps, crowns, and root canal’s were the real money made. Dental insurance more or less useless. They don’t pay till you have banked enough money and then lucky if pays half.

Last edited by biker1; 11-11-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-11-2023, 11:54 AM

Oaks Dental next to Glenview CC Tennis. I had FEP dental but Dr. Nyguen said GEHA provided better coverage. In my case, she was correct.
Old 11-11-2023, 03:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlorida View Post
Dr. Richard D. Walter on 441 north, The Villages. , does not try to sell you anything, fixes what is needed. Call to see what insurance he accepts 352- 775 -4585
he won’t get my vote big on crowns
Old 11-11-2023, 05:17 PM
Default Dentists south

Quote:
Originally Posted by miadford@gmail.com View Post
I went to this group six months ago and loved them. Dr. Ivy Tran.
Dental Care At Magnolia
352-626-9033
2203 Everglades Ln
The Villages
They are the most caring dental company that I have ever had. I have Florida blue and they take that and Humana Medicare. I highly recommend them.
You are the first person to mention Dental Care At Magnolia, which is south of 44. I liked Dr. Jones, but she had so many problems getting paid by my dental plan that she dropped the insurer. I was thinking of just staying with her and paying out-of-pocket, but my husband wants a closer dentist. So I checked out the new Sage Dental on Warm Springs Ave. They were friendly and helpful, but mentioned that x-rays might show that I needed a deep cleaning. When I asked how much that might cost, they hedged, but finally said $250 for a 1/4 mouth. Eventually a deep cleaning may be required, but it is also a cash cow for too many dentists. I will stop into the Magnolia office and check them out.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
The Main Street Dentists in Leesburg, downtown on old 44. Larger than a one man shop, full service well done. They are very courteous. As serious dentists they have practices and sequences of service that ensure good dental health .... NOT upselling. BTW, the practice of making recommendations after doing x-rays is a sign of COMPETENT dentistry, not of quack. I don't understand complaining about that.

When we first moved here, dentistry coverage on regular health insurance plans was rare. As it became more common, Main Street Dentists picked up the service of handling health insurance claims.

We're very pleased with them.
Not to be mistake, I am not complaining about the x-rays or the recommendations, but what bothered me was the push to replace all my bridges and/or crowns. When I said I wasn’t interested (in disturbing a sleeping dog), they kept pushing and pushing. I don’t care to deal with that. A good dentist doesn’t have to insist on work unless it is an imminent health threat, of course.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobeaston View Post
It seems the original poster objects to "the practice that seems to be standard down here" of a dentist wanting to understand a person's needs, and not just answer their "all I want is a cleaning" demand. If the dentist doesn't answer the "cleaning only" demand they're deemed disreputable.

Good standard practice for any first visit is to fully learn what the patient needs for good dental care. That process is the essence of being honest and reputable, and should be desired, not condemned. That long time dentist on Long Island already knew the original poster's history and condition and would do only what asked. A new dentist knows neither. Why imply that they are not honest or reputable if they are practicing standard service?
Of course x-rays are needed, which I was more than happy to do. But when I am told that all my crowns and bridges should be replaced, don’t you feel that is overkill? I do. Especially since I was seen by my dentist prior to relocating to tv 16 months ago. Hardly enough time for all my crowns and bridges to go bad. I don’t believe in disturbing a sleeping dog that lies. I’m beyond entering a miss America pageant. I just would like the necessities. X-rays, Cavity repair, cleaning, etc.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:07 AM
Default BCBS provider list

The BCBS website has a provider list where you can look up covered services in your area by specialty, medical group, dr. name or facilities. It's easy to use. It will give you location and phone contact information.

Tags
insurance, dentist, cleaning, relative, blue

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.