Dentist recommendation. Retired federal employee w/blue cross dental insurance

Old 11-09-2023, 11:35 AM
Default Dentist recommendation. Retired federal employee w/blue cross dental insurance

I have been looking for a participating provider who does not practice what seems to be the standard down here. Been to two dentists and before they even ask your name, they want your insurance info. Then, after x-rays, they hand you a laundry list of things they say you need. They are so happy to tell you what the total cost would be without insurance and what “my cost” would be.
I relocated here one year ago and visited my dentist regularly. I do not have any dental issues. I wanted a cleaning. When I told them that I will call them at a later time, they suddenly became borderline nasty.
I did find a dentist who I referred to my relative because of rave reviews from this forum and my relative loved him. He takes no insurance at all.
I am looking for a reputable, caring, “honest” dentist who is in network with blue cross blue shield, federal employee program. I’ve been paying for coverage for two years and cannot find someone reputable for a cleaning, etc. i will drive out of the area for quality service. Please HELP!
Old 11-09-2023, 01:48 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal44 View Post
I have been looking for a participating provider who does not practice what seems to be the standard down here. Been to two dentists and before they even ask your name, they want your insurance info. Then, after x-rays, they hand you a laundry list of things they say you need. They are so happy to tell you what the total cost would be without insurance and what “my cost” would be.
I relocated here one year ago and visited my dentist regularly. I do not have any dental issues. I wanted a cleaning. When I told them that I will call them at a later time, they suddenly became borderline nasty.
I did find a dentist who I referred to my relative because of rave reviews from this forum and my relative loved him. He takes no insurance at all.
I am looking for a reputable, caring, “honest” dentist who is in network with blue cross blue shield, federal employee program. I’ve been paying for coverage for two years and cannot find someone reputable for a cleaning, etc. i will drive out of the area for quality service. Please HELP!
We have Florida Blue, Florida’s Blue Cross BS, and we use Dr Davis at “A Touch of Art Dental Studio” (352-405-6500). We find here very pleasant, knowledgeable, and they will recommend services but are not pushy by any means. Not sure if they accept your Federal BCBS insurance but I’d ask.
Old 11-09-2023, 06:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,939 Times in 2,459 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal44 View Post

Good luck 🍀.
Old 11-09-2023, 07:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Trailwinds Dental didn't try to upcharge us. We decided they weren't for us but I would still recommend giving them a try.

We're going to try the office at Grand Traverse next.

Heard Marion Dental was good but does not seem to be in network.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 11-10-2023, 09:49 AM
Gold member

Lifetime Dentistry on 441 near the Lowe's is very good. They take all kinds of dental insurance.
Old 11-10-2023, 10:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,195 Times in 761 Posts

Dr. Richard D. Walter on 441 north, The Villages. , does not try to sell you anything, fixes what is needed. Call to see what insurance he accepts 352- 775 -4585
Old 11-11-2023, 04:42 AM

Dr Mark Steele in Leesburg is wonderful.
Old 11-11-2023, 04:55 AM

The Main Street Dentists in Leesburg, downtown on old 44. Larger than a one man shop, full service well done. They are very courteous. As serious dentists they have practices and sequences of service that ensure good dental health .... NOT upselling. BTW, the practice of making recommendations after doing x-rays is a sign of COMPETENT dentistry, not of quack. I don't understand complaining about that.

When we first moved here, dentistry coverage on regular health insurance plans was rare. As it became more common, Main Street Dentists picked up the service of handling health insurance claims.

We're very pleased with them.

Last edited by bobeaston; 11-11-2023 at 05:05 AM.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,379 Times in 2,520 Posts

Same problem here in UK.
Not with insurance, but just the up-selling.
We still make a four hour round trip to see our old dentist.
Tried another dentist a lot nearer, but all he wanted to do was cosmetic, and when you are in your mid 80's, film star smiles are not a major priority.
My beautiful wife still has wonderful teeth, mine are looking more like a load of old gravestones in a churchyard, but I can still eat an apple, and chew a good steak, so I am happy!
Old 11-11-2023, 05:27 AM

Main Street Dentists in Leesburg are wonderful. Before finding them, I walked out of 2 dentist offices because they were forcing me to have x-rays for a cleaning. You don't need x-rays for a cleaning.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:28 AM
Default Dentist Recommendation

Dr. Kelly Mc Night is great. She is in the Laurel Manor area. No up selling and honest. I have referred her to others who are pleased with her also. Her number is 352 433 0263.
Old 11-11-2023, 05:32 AM

It seems the original poster objects to "the practice that seems to be standard down here" of a dentist wanting to understand a person's needs, and not just answer their "all I want is a cleaning" demand. If the dentist doesn't answer the "cleaning only" demand they're deemed disreputable.

Good standard practice for any first visit is to fully learn what the patient needs for good dental care. That process is the essence of being honest and reputable, and should be desired, not condemned. That long time dentist on Long Island already knew the original poster's history and condition and would do only what asked. A new dentist knows neither. Why imply that they are not honest or reputable if they are practicing standard service?
Old 11-11-2023, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillager1988 View Post
Main Street Dentists in Leesburg are wonderful. Before finding them, I walked out of 2 dentist offices because they were forcing me to have x-rays for a cleaning. You don't need x-rays for a cleaning.
Yes, you do. You need x-rays once a year. They were being responsible, you weren’t.
Old 11-11-2023, 06:42 AM
Default Dentist

[QUOTE=golfgal44;2272939]I have been looking for a participating provider who does not practice what seems to be the standard down here. Been to two dentists and before they even ask your name, they want your insurance info. Then, after x-rays, they hand you a laundry list of things they say you need. They are so happy to tell you what the total cost would be without insurance and what “my cost” would be.

Monday starts open season for Feds. Switch to Aetna high option and check out Dr Maria Luong at Serenity Dental Spa in Sp Springs. Her office actually researches the best Federal plan each year. I have been going to her for about 10 years.
Old 11-11-2023, 06:45 AM

Monday starts open season for Feds. Switch to Aetna high option and check out Dr Maria Luong at Serenity Dental Spa in Sp Springs. Her office actually researches the best Federal plan each year. I have been going to her for about 10 years.

Tags
insurance, dentist, cleaning, relative, blue

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.