Dentist recommended electric toothbrush

Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 AM
Default Sonicare Toothbrush

I also have the Sonicare. I worked in a dental practice or almost 20 years, and Phillips, the maker of Sonicare supplied each of us, at an employee cost, the newest edition available for testing. The other companies also do the same. All employees - dentist, assistants, hygienist, and ancillary staff members try them, and if you do not like it, can return it after the trials are complete. They are rated and feedback supplied to the company.
Over the years, we sold the Sonicare in our office, and believe me, it is not a money-makers for the dentist. They are sold so that the patient uses it to improve their dental health. We always sold them for less than the Big-store prices. Also, the warranty on the dental practice issue was a longer warranty. It is also easy to send them to Phillips, within the warranty time, for replacement or repair. Do not press it against your teeth...let it glide over your teeth and gum tissue.

Another thing, if it seems to shut off too soon, maybe your finger accidentally touches the on/off button. Or maybe you are brushing longer than the 2 minutes (yeah!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
I went in for my first appointment with a dentist (one that was recommended on this board) and everything went well as far as cleaning, xrays, and exam. But then there was a recommendation for an electric tooth brush: Philips Sonicare FlexCare+. I thought the price of $99.00 was a bit high but I was told that it was a good price, so I bought it.

A few weeks after I bought it, I saw Philips Sonicare advertised as low as $37.00. I know they have different models at different prices. Mine has a built in timer so that it shuts off after 2 min.. That's to make sure you brush for at least two minutes. The trouble is: It always shuts off before I'm finished. I find that anoying. Then it has 5 settings (for vibrations?) and I have a hard time telling the difference between them. So that's another wasted feature, in my opinion.

I called the company and they recommended Philips Sonicare Essence. It's sold at Walmart and should be less expensive. If I like it, I can then return the one I bought from the dentist.

What do you think? Do you have one? Do you like it? Any recommendations for other brands?
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhillsgirl View Post
I also have the Sonicare. I worked in a dental practice or almost 20 years, and Phillips, the maker of Sonicare supplied each of us, at an employee cost, the newest edition available for testing. The other companies also do the same. All employees - dentist, assistants, hygienist, and ancillary staff members try them, and if you do not like it, can return it after the trials are complete. They are rated and feedback supplied to the company.
Over the years, we sold the Sonicare in our office, and believe me, it is not a money-makers for the dentist. They are sold so that the patient uses it to improve their dental health. We always sold them for less than the Big-store prices. Also, the warranty on the dental practice issue was a longer warranty. It is also easy to send them to Phillips, within the warranty time, for replacement or repair. Do not press it against your teeth...let it glide over your teeth and gum tissue.

Another thing, if it seems to shut off too soon, maybe your finger accidentally touches the on/off button. Or maybe you are brushing longer than the 2 minutes (yeah!)
Thanks for the tip about not pressing it against teeth. I was wondering about that. Another thing I wonder is if you are supposed to use toothpaste. If so, how do you apply it? Do you put it on the brush?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.