Dermatologist - skin tags

Closed Thread
Old 12-04-2020, 08:27 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
Alliant Dermatology does a really great job. I had skin tags removed, no problem. But they also wanted to run a biopsy on a spot on my arm and I did indeed have skin cancer, and they took care of that too. The only dermatologist I'll visit.
I too went to Dr. Casper and wanted to have a face skin tag taken off. He gladly did that and also took samples of other areas. One came back positive and I had to have Mohs surgery for it. It was not large but grafting from my ear had to be done. I was skeptical of the results.

Now, three years later, that little tag is gone BUT a large brown keratosis exists in its place. Much bigger than that little tag under my eye. The Mohs was fairly painful for me for that week too.

So I can't recommend them. They will always freeze something to get more from your insurance company. Dermatologists, next to surgeons, are the most lucrative physician career you can get into.

For me, I no longer go to Dermatologists and have my Primary check me for skin spots that are/are-not changing year to year. You want to look for change and odd shapes my doctor says.

Over the counter solution did not disolve my skin tag. Maybe I didn't use it long enough.

Just my experience. Good luck. Minnie Pearl would keep her tag!!!

Skip
Old 12-04-2020, 08:49 AM
Default The Dermatology Institute Brownwood Sw

Brand new practice accepting new patients. Two Doctors left Alliant Doctor Casper’s practice. Also well known PA Heather Gates joined them. Get a same day appointment.

Next to TooJays in Brownwood Town Sq.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:32 AM

Welcome to Florida. Tags are the least of your potential skin problems.
Dr Casper has found two melanomas on my back. I would never had been concerned about either of them, because I couldn’t see them.
He found them using his lighted magnifying glass.
A plastic surgeon did both surgeries.
We Floridians all end up with basal cell, squamous cell and melanomas.
Just listen to the conversations at the pools and squares.
Don’t diagnose yourself......get an annual check up.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:48 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,760 Times in 758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by epratt View Post
I always tell them to freeze anything off (including skin tags) and if it comes back I will go in for a biopsy. I always insist on them not cutting into me. Quite a while ago I went to Village Dermatology and the tech cut off 8 spots that she thought needed biopsy. None of them came back cancerous.
Wise of you to take charge. I've had some unpleasant encounters here I have never experienced in any other state or location; meaning VERY aggressive doctors who order a mind boggling array of tests (many of which really surprised my former doctor who took care of us and our children most carefully until we retired). Never started at the top of the test ladder, in other words, knowing there was no colon cancer on EITHER side of the family even to the fringe relatives, he concluded that until there was some other counter indication, a stool sample, NOT a full colonoscopy with anesthesia. He explained that there ARE risks with that procedure and while it definitely is worth the small risk for those with indications, family history, and/or other factors an experienced doctor can detect, starting at the top of the test list (risk and price wise) in NOT the best practice in medicine. Said "every test for everyone is not good medicine, it's a kind of shot gun approach, but that's what some patients want", he added ! I'm of his approach, start with what is logically indicated. Also strange here (?), we were always asked if we preferred a certain lab previously, and we've lived in a number of locations. Here, it seems you are never asked (labs vary a LOT in case some don't know.... false positives and negative percentages are important when choosing a lab). I know many believe this area offers the very best in medical care, I am not so sure, but, neither can all physicians be painted with a single brush stroke, I understand that, but many suspicious practices here I have found.
Old 12-04-2020, 09:57 AM

Hello, I bought a battery tag remover from eBay & do it with a friends help.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:00 AM

Jennifer not a doctor.
Old 12-04-2020, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post
I too went to Dr. Casper and wanted to have a face skin tag taken off. He gladly did that and also took samples of other areas. One came back positive and I had to have Mohs surgery for it. It was not large but grafting from my ear had to be done. I was skeptical of the results.

Now, three years later, that little tag is gone BUT a large brown keratosis exists in its place. Much bigger than that little tag under my eye. The Mohs was fairly painful for me for that week too.

So I can't recommend them. They will always freeze something to get more from your insurance company. Dermatologists, next to surgeons, are the most lucrative physician career you can get into.

For me, I no longer go to Dermatologists and have my Primary check me for skin spots that are/are-not changing year to year. You want to look for change and odd shapes my doctor says.

Over the counter solution did not disolve my skin tag. Maybe I didn't use it long enough.

Skip
wow. thx for sharing
Old 12-04-2020, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgm4444 View Post
Does anyone know of a dermatologist that will just do skin tag removals? I don’t want to be pressured into having a body scan, biopsy, etc. thanks in advance
Buy one of these and do it yourself. Works great.

Safe Laser Tattoo Freckle Removal Pen Sweep Dark Spot Mole Beauty Skin Machine | eBay
Old 12-04-2020, 11:24 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

They don’t bleed much, so you can use wire cutters to snip them off. Free, quick and you don’t have to leave your garage.
Old 12-04-2020, 12:20 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjohnson View Post
they don’t bleed much, so you can use wire cutters to snip them off. Free, quick and you don’t have to leave your garage.
where are the usual suspects when you need them?
Old 12-04-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip View Post

Skip
Mohs is not a pleasant experience but certainly better than letting the cancer spread. There are also potential alternatives to Mohs depending on the cancer including cream, laser and radiation.

As for skin tags etc. - when you remove skin via surgery or freezing you are going to have something there in it’s place; a scar, discoloration or what not. In some cases but not most the result may be worse. For your brown spot you could consider skin lightening cream or laser if it really bothers you.

I am not sure why you would see your regular physician over a trained dermatologist who can spot things your doctor may miss. Especially when you have a history of skin cancer.

Personally, I go for a full skin scan every 6 months and pop in more if something comes up. It sucks but the alternative sucks more!
Old 12-04-2020, 12:38 PM
Default kens613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaann47 View Post
Don’t agree with this one. Went there for spot on my nose. She said it was a blood vessel close to the surface. When I got home I went to my dr. It was cancer. Ended up with 2 surgeries, lost a part of my nose. I will never go to her again. Sorry. That’s my experience.
Linda Ann ... which Dr are you speaking of... Thanks Ken
Old 12-04-2020, 01:23 PM

We go to Dr. Joanna Bolton at Alliant Dermatology and Vein Center at one of 3 locations - one in Sumter Landing. She and the other dermatologists do skin tag removal with a liquid nitrogen squirt. Call 352-399-7295. Bob from Gilchrist
Old 12-04-2020, 02:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindaann47 View Post
Don’t agree with this one. Went there for spot on my nose. She said it was a blood vessel close to the surface. When I got home I went to my dr. It was cancer. Ended up with 2 surgeries, lost a part of my nose. I will never go to her again. Sorry. That’s my experience.
To whom are you referring?
There was no quoted text.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,427 Times in 2,269 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
They don’t bleed much, so you can use wire cutters to snip them off. Free, quick and you don’t have to leave your garage.
And if they do bleed you can just cauterize them with a soldering iron..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Closed Thread

Tags
dermatologist, skin, biopsy, scan, body

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.