Diabetes and Sugar Substitutes

Closed Thread
Old 12-12-2011, 04:19 PM
Sage
Default Diabetes and Sugar Substitutes

I have been using Splenda as my sugar substitute for years with no adverse effects? Are Sweet & Low, Equal, Splenda all the same?

I was wondering if anyone has been advised not to use any particular sugar substitute.

Since I can't edit the title - Sorry, my titled spellling leaves a lot to be desired. That what happens when I'm in a rush. Oh well!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).

Last edited by 2BNTV; 12-12-2011 at 04:22 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old 12-12-2011, 04:41 PM
Sage

At least it's not a sugar rush!
Old 12-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
At least it's not a sugar rush!
Thats funny.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Veteran member

In my research...I've read that Stevia or Truvia is a better choice and I use either. I don't do baking so not sure how these would be for that.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Default naturalnews.com

After yoga today, our leader had a talk on the effects of sugar substitutes. There is an article about the nasty side effects on a website naturalnews.com. You can read it and form your own opinions.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Veteran member
Default Splenda, Equal etc.

are all chemically inferior sugar substitutes and some are even worse than aspertame. Some are also neuro toxins like aspertame. Stevia is the sweetener of choice as it is plant based. Do not be fooled by the marketing of the other sweeteners, just follow the money and you will see that your health is not their first concern! Just because you do not experience apparent adverse affects, it does not mean that the substance is OK or will not result in problems down the line. If you google any of the substitutes and read about them from sources other than the manufacturers, you will get a better picture of what they are. Remember that the doctors get their info from the drug suppliers and that many of them are major contributors to the Diabetic Association. Sorry for getting on my soap box but it really upsets me to hear of so many who are being led around by Big Pharma and the FDA. I've pasted in a link that is much more eloquent than I am and gives you the info you are seeking. I'll get down now. Sorry if I offended anyone. That is not my intention.

https://www.formulazone.com/article0023.asp

To your good health,
LW888
Old 12-12-2011, 07:06 PM
Veteran member

I DO know that aspartame (Equal) is a poison and I stopped buying anything that contains it a few years ago. It has been nearly impossible to find diet sodas, for example, that were NOT sweetened with aspartame. Publix has finally brought Splenda-sweetened diet sodas to their store shelves. I am not a big soda drinker but enjoy a diet drink once in a great while. I have had the same problem finding sugar-free yogurt. Check out the labels and they are all sweetened with aspartame. Publix does have a few flavors sweetened with Splenda. I only buy Stevia now, expensive as it is. For what it's worth, my daughter discovered a couple of years ago that her hair loss was due to aspartame consumption. She spent many months undergoing tests of all kinds to try to figure out why her hair was thinning. Once she stopped consuming aspartame her hair growth has returned to normal. Sadly, I can not buy the sugar-free frozen yogurt at Peachwave. I asked and IT is sweetened with aspartame!! I am a cancer survivor and I am just not willing to put a known poison into my body.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

You can buy a stevia plant and make your own natural sweetner. Natural you can use for baking, coffee and you know whats in it. If you buy stevia make sure its pure and does not have anything added to it read the label. You can find stevia online in liquid or powder form for baking. I have been using the plant for four years , its better to use sugar in moderation than the yellow or blue or pink packet.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Eternal Member

Here is an article that discusses all five types.

http://www.mydailymoment.com/diet_an...bstitute_.php?

Normally I do not use sugar. The cereals I eat are tasty enough (Cheerios, Wheaties, Shredded Wheat and Rice Krispies). We prefer Splenda becaue it is better to cook with. At least the cakes rise when we use it.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Veteran member

Know this....in reading the labels there are also "hidden sugars" in alot of foods. Just because it reads "Natural" on the label (and this goes for 'anything'...not just foods) it doesn't make it so. Your question should be "natural what?"!!! I don't do margarine anymore neither----it's made from petroleum products (ugh). We are VERY moderate in our butter usage. Don't use Kool Whip neither. Same reason! Stevia is still my sweetner of choice if I have to sweeten something.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:45 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I have been using Splenda as my sugar substitute for years with no adverse effects? Are Sweet & Low, Equal, Splenda all the same?

I was wondering if anyone has been advised not to use any particular sugar substitute.
In my opinion, anything that makes food or drink taste sweet is a bad idea. In food, it likely will encourage overeating of baked goods. You probably shouldn't be eating baked goods anyway. Baked goods are a bad habit for anyone who is diabetic.

Even in a beverage it's a bad idea because it sets up a comparison. For example, you take a drink of your sweet iced tea and then your not-so-sweet asparagus may not look very appetizing by comparison. That goes for most vegetables. You spoil your taste for good healthy whole foods.

Old 12-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Veteran member

I am not diabetic, but after a LOT of research I primarily use only Greenleaf Stevia. As far as soft drinks....I don't drink a lot of them anymore...but Zevia is a great one as far as I am concerned and it is sweetened with Stevia. The problem is....the only place I can find it in TV is at Fresh Market and they don't carry caffeine free, so I order mine from Amazon.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post

Since I can't edit the title - Sorry, my titled spellling leaves a lot to be desired. That what happens when I'm in a rush. Oh well!!!!
google x-ylitol it's a bit expensive . I don't use it for cooking using large amounts of sugar.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:17 PM
Veteran member

* Sorry that was supposed to be SweetLeaf....not Greenleaf....LOL
Old 12-16-2011, 06:46 AM
Gold member
Default Anyone growing their own Stevia?

If so, how are you using it in your coffee/tea, anything else?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.