Do you have a plan to "defeat" or slow down aging?

Closed Thread
Old 05-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
The only thing I know of that has been proved to work to slow down the aging process is to eat a low calorie diet while getting as much nutrition as possible. That means consentrating on eating a wide variety of non-starchy vegetables. Vegetables are very low in calories yet high in nutrition. Of course there's more to it than that but I won't get into it here.

Why low calorie diets work: Calories have to be burned by the body. It's the burning of calories that takes a toll on the body. I would compare it to a gasoline engine. The more gas you burn in your car, the more you shorten the life of the engine. Rev up the engine, pop the clutch, and go speeding down the highway. It's a lot of fun but shortens the life of the car. We are much the same.

I've been on a low calorie vegan diet since the spring of 2006 and I'm very satisfied with the results so far. My diet before that was good but I just decided to add the veganism so as to maximize the nutrition from a plant based diet.

Of course there are no guarantees; it's all about reducing risk and wear. I suppose if we did all the right things from an early age we'd have a shot at being healthy up to 110 and beyond.

I started thinking about this subject because I'm reading a book: "Long For This World: The Strange Science of Immortality" by Jonathan Weiner. The author is a Pulitzer prize-winning science writer. I'm only up to chapter 4 but find it interesting so far.
Not to pick a nit, BUT, I do think your analogy of a car burning fuel and a body burning calories isn't the best. We need calories to live, to help our bodies keep us in a state of homeostasis. I'm sure you know what that is. We need fuel to allow our heart to work, our kidneys to eliminate waste. Not enough fuel, we can die.
You've listed your daily food choices, they seem to work for you. Some might not be able to ingest as many fruits and veggies, beans and nuts as you can.
It isn't my intention to get into a pi**ing contest with you on this VP, you are doing what you must do for your own health, I just hope you and some other vegans also recognize that not all can live on a plant based diet and thrive.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
I just hope you and some other vegans also recognize that not all can live on a plant based diet and thrive.
I respectfully disagree, there is just toooooo much scientific proof that is NOT the case.

The real issue is not all can live and thrive on a animal based diet with processed food.

We don't do it because we need to for our health we do it because we choose to.

Ask a cardiologist or vascular surgeon for example what they see every day.

There are body builders, iron man competitors, marathoners and fighters on plant based diets.

It has also completely reversed heart disease in many patients with documented proof.

I can recommend a very good documentary is you care to get it on Amazon "Forks Over Knives" aka diet over surgery.

It was done by doctors not Hollywood.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James

Quote:
Other than eating more pizza and drinking more beer, do you have a serious plan that you actually practice?
Ummm....swim 1/2 mile every day....seems to be doing the trick.....oh yes!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
I respectfully disagree, there is just toooooo much scientific proof that is NOT the case.

The real issue is not all can live and thrive on a animal based diet with processed food.

We don't do it because we need to for our health we do it because we choose to.

Ask a cardiologist or vascular surgeon for example what they see every day.

There are body builders, iron man competitors, marathoners and fighters on plant based diets.

It has also completely reversed heart disease in many patients with documented proof.

I can recommend a very good documentary is you care to get it on Amazon "Forks Over Knives" aka diet over surgery.

It was done by doctors not Hollywood.
I can agree with you about processed foods not offering the best nutrition for our bodies and I do recognize that some do thrive on plant based diets, BUT again I will state that not all can. Some are not blessed with digestive systems that allow their bodies to assimilate enough nutrients from certain foods.
We all must do what we feel is best for our well being. For some it is exercise, lots of exercise, for some it is managing their diet and for others, it might be vitamins and supplements. My plan includes little alcohol, adequate protein from non-plant sources, fresh fruit and veggies, non and low fat dairy, a fish oil pill, a daily multi-vitamin, and that's only every once in a while, olive oil in moderation and laughter.....as well as a sweet treat and a pizza every once in a while. The Mediterranean diet works well, too.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

I go to the gym at 7am leave at 1030 work 8 hours and three nights a week i return to the gym for a 1.5 hour yoga glass. So when I retire i plan on cutting out the 8 work hours
Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I go to the gym at 7am leave at 1030 work 8 hours and three nights a week i return to the gym for a 1.5 hour yoga glass. So when I retire i plan on cutting out the 8 work hours
I hope you get to cut out those work hours soon....
Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Slow down

I drive a legal golf cart,only use the car when needed, do what I want when I want. Don't give a crap what anybody thinks. I'm happy and don't have 2 many cares in the world. !!
Old 05-24-2012, 09:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
I can agree with you about processed foods not offering the best nutrition for our bodies and I do recognize that some do thrive on plant based diets, BUT again I will state that not all can. Some are not blessed with digestive systems that allow their bodies to assimilate enough nutrients from certain foods.
We all must do what we feel is best for our well being. For some it is exercise, lots of exercise, for some it is managing their diet and for others, it might be vitamins and supplements. My plan includes little alcohol, adequate protein from non-plant sources, fresh fruit and veggies, non and low fat dairy, a fish oil pill, a daily multi-vitamin, and that's only every once in a while, olive oil in moderation and laughter.....as well as a sweet treat and a pizza every once in a while. The Mediterranean diet works well, too.
Pooh, your comments make sense to me. I also think that laughter, loving life, and having a positive attitude have a lot to do with good health.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:51 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Our problem:

CDC Infographic Shows Super-sized Portions Are the New Normal | Healthy Living - Yahoo! Shine
Old 05-26-2012, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Not to pick a nit, BUT, I do think your analogy of a car burning fuel and a body burning calories isn't the best.
I won't make any claim that it's the best analogy. It just popped into mind and I used it because I like it. Lighting a candle is another. The point is that burning is burning and it has a similarity to what happens in the body. Oxygen is required/consumed and byproducts/waste are given off. Engines age and eventually die and so do we.

Of course we are not exactly the same but the result is the same. What makes us different is the fact that free radicals (created from the burning process) go zipping around damaging our DNA. The damage can be repaired but we become less and less capable of keeping up with repairs as we get older.

To be continued:
Old 05-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Sage
Default To continue previous post to pooh:

Quote:
We need calories to live, to help our bodies keep us in a state of homeostasis. I'm sure you know what that is. We need fuel to allow our heart to work, our kidneys to eliminate waste. Not enough fuel, we can die.
Yes, of course. I assumed it would be understood that you have to have enough calories to maintain vital body functions and to keep your BMI from going below 18.5 or 19.

Quote:
You've listed your daily food choices, they seem to work for you. Some might not be able to ingest as many fruits and veggies, beans and nuts as you can.
That's true. It was not my intention to suggest that everyone must do exactly the same. Relatively few people can do what jimbo and I do. I just posted it as my conception of an ideal diet: Low calorie/ high nutrition. This health and longevity concept is not new. The first experiment to prove the effectiveness of a low calorie diet was done in the early 1930s.

Quote:
I just hope you and some other vegans also recognize that not all can live on a plant based diet and thrive.
When it comes to the science of health, nothing is ever 100% so I wouldn't think of asking for 100% compliance. Everyone needs to take personal responsibility to be informed and do their best.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Some are not blessed with digestive systems that allow their bodies to assimilate enough nutrients from certain foods.
Not sure I follow that, unless you are referring to a GI tract disorder.

What I mean by that is if you can assimilate nutrients from a meat based diet (a Big Mac etc.) why not plant based, meaning vegies etc?

Your body needs about 8% protein, vegies have about 10%, animal based food about 20% which is not needed.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Okay, I'll try to provide more information about what I do.

Breakfast: I first put together a small bowl of chopped (fresh) fruit. I add to it a sprinkling of chopped walnuts. At the same time, I'll have one serving of steel-cut oats cooking on the stove. The cooking takes about 20 minutes after which I'll let it sit in the pan for about 40 minutes. In the mean time, I go through my exercise routine.

Lunch: I'll make a big salad in a salad bowl. This could include just about any vegetables you like. I typically use Romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, raw (baby) carots chopped into small pieces, celery and cauliflower or broccoli. With the salad I''l have one slice of Ezekiel bread. Then I'll eat a side dish of beans for protein. The bread contains 4 grams as protein as well. I use fresh lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil for dressing. (I limit the olive oil to one teaspoon.)

Dinner: I'll usually make a vegetable soup with beans and a little whole grain rice or barley. I use a variety of vegetables in the soup and a variety of beans. Then I'll put one teaspoon of olive oil in the soup. That comes last because I don't want to cook the olive oil. Again, one slice of Ezekiel bread. That's basically it.

Some people will say it's boring but it's not boring to me. I really like beans, whole grains and vegetables a lot. I never get tired of them. And I enjoy good health!

Do you fart a lot?
Old 05-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Veteran member

Eat better and walk faster
Old 05-26-2012, 10:44 AM
Sage

Thanks for the link, it was very good. It's amazing how restaurant portions have grown over the years. I would just add that the problem is not just the portions. It's the quality of food that's all wrong too. Sweet soda? Salty fries? Salty hamburger on a bun made with white flour? And where are the vegetables? Lettuce and tomato on the hamburger doesn't cut it.

One thing that's never mentioned: If the population gets fatter and fatter, it's an advantage for the fast food industry. And I'd be surprised if they (those in the corporate offices) don't know it. Here's why it's an advantage: The more fat cells that exist, the more food that's needed. Fat cells require/demand high calorie processed foods. Most diets eventually fail because fat cells comunicate with the brain (demanding food) by way of hormones. Fat cells strive for survival as much as any other part of the body. That's what makes it an addiction. More and more fat people means more and more addicts, and that's what the fast food industry likes.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.