Do you have a plan to "defeat" or slow down aging?

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2012, 10:54 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchgirl View Post

Do you fart a lot?
It all depends on what you consider to be "a lot". Maybe we could get together sometime and have a contest. We could assemble a panel of judges and they would grade us on frequency, volume, tone, loudness etc..
Old 05-26-2012, 11:03 AM
Sage

Slowing down aging also has to do with your energy levels, aka enjoying your retirement.

How often do you take naps after eating or exercise, or regular afternoon naps. Can you play 18 holes and still go dancing that evening.

I don't want to write a book here and bore you, the info is out there the food is not bland or uninteresting my wife has made dinner for friends and they all like the food.

Our diet is different from 'Villages PL', but along those lines.

I'll leave you with these major benefits, if you want more info or where to go for it please PM me.

Plant-based diets are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain diseases.
Vegetarians/vegans also have lower rates of the following health problems:

Death from heart disease - Animal protein clogs arteries; a plant-based diet can stop and even, in most cases, reverse heart disease.

Blood cholesterol levels, without any meds will average 125-150

Blood pressure/hypertension normal or lower - due to the soft plaque being eliminated from the walls of blood vessels and elastic again eliminating or greatly reducing all meds.

Type 2 (adult-onset) diabetes, no longer an issue.

cancer long story

Cancer- Animal protein, especially casein found in milk, causes cancer cells to grow; plant protein discourages cancer growth.

Obesity- The standard American diet (SAD) causes obesity; a low-fat, plant-based diet combined with moderate exercise enables permanent weight loss.
The weight loss is automatic, without thinking about.

High animal protein intake increases metabolic acid, causing the body to draw calcium from the bones, weakening them and leading to osteoporosis and bone fractures.

Prostate cancer
Colon cancer

In 3-4 weeks you will absolutely feel the difference, I guarantee it.

Last edited by jimbo2012; 05-26-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:14 AM

I love to jog. I will be in a marathon tomorrow.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:49 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LABSX2 View Post
I'm moving to TV!!!!
All you have to do is move here and you will get healthy by osmosis!!!!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:52 AM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarOlden View Post
I love to jog. I will be in a marathon tomorrow.
You must be healthy to be in a marathon. But how are your knees holding up? Do you ever worry about wearing them out?
Old 05-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Not sure I follow that, unless you are referring to a GI tract disorder.

What I mean by that is if you can assimilate nutrients from a meat based diet (a Big Mac etc.) why not plant based, meaning vegies etc?

Your body needs about 8% protein, vegies have about 10%, animal based food about 20% which is not needed.
Food needs to stay in your GI tract for a bit for breakdown and assimilation. If one cannot properly digest certain plant foods, well, they aren't going to nourish a body. Some have allergic responses to certain foods, berries, eggs, milk, gluten....and these foods just aren't going to work for some.

We all need protein to live, granted not as much as most of us eat, but we do need it. Protein helps maintain muscle mass, the immune system and heart and respiratory functions.

I'm sure you know about complete and incomplete proteins and the need to eat a wide variety of plant foods in order to give your body the amino acids needed to make them complete. I'm sure you make sure to get adequate vitamin B12. You are doing what you feel is best for your body and no one can or should make you do something other than that.
You have made a decision to ingest more plant than animal based foods, you are concerned about your health....who the heck really cares what others think....you must do what you feel is best for you and for your family. A longer and more vital you is good for you and for those who love you, too....

Live long and prosper, Jimbo
Old 05-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
It all depends on what you consider to be "a lot". Maybe we could get together sometime and have a contest. We could assemble a panel of judges and they would grade us on frequency, volume, tone, loudness etc..
Old 05-26-2012, 12:45 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Yes, of course. I assumed it would be understood that you have to have enough calories to maintain vital body functions and to keep your BMI from going below 18.5 or 19.......
When it comes to the science of health, nothing is ever 100% so I wouldn't think of asking for 100% compliance. Everyone needs to take personal responsibility to be informed and do their best.
Correct, but BMI can be even a bit higher and a person can be healthy.

I'm sure you've done your research, VPL....and I'm sure you're eating foods in proper quantities to insure you have adequate and complete proteins over time. You feel well, you have energy and I'll assume your health statistics are reflective of the effort you put into making the food choices you do.

Live long, live well, VPl.....and when you get a chance, could you post a recipe for a particular dish you eat, in the food section, that might make some of us carnivores want to give it a try....

Last edited by pooh; 05-26-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

don't forget the most important and that is attitude....the more positive one is about anything/everything the more relaxed and happy they are and tend to live longer.

Excluding health issues which can get any of us at any time being positive, active, eat sensibly (like we did when we were kids)....treat everybody like a long lost friend.....smile a lot.....

far too many think they have to be a grump, act like a grump, be nasty, not polite and always in a hurry (to go no where)....because they are a certain number on paper and act what they think is accordingly.....remember the saying, I may be getting older (number of birthdays) but I refuse to grow up/old (attitude/active/smile).

btk
Old 05-28-2012, 08:05 AM
Gold member
Default defeat aging

yes my plan is to exercise everyday and eat healthy and make sure I get some laughter in everyday, meditation and prayer. Good for body and soul.
And yes friends are important. Keep socializing!! That's why the villages is a great place to live.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

A reasonable and common sense view of this might be what we all know.

That eating a variety of lower fat foods and keeping our calorie count lower and avoiding a lot of sweets will make us healthier and better able to handle the environment.

Getting our heart rates up for twenty minutes every day in some form of aerobic activity helps our cardiovascular system and helps build muscle mass that raises our metabolism to a faster burn.

Seeing a qualified physician twice a year who orders tests of our systems helps too.

Knowing that genetic factors play a large role in how our bodies behave is something that we must all accept but the underlying thing to remember is that no matter what we do or what we eat or how we exercise, there is only one way out. Don't let the fear of the inevitable cause you to live obsessively.

Be reasonable, make good choices, and dance while the music is playing.

It is a beautiful day in The Villages.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
My plan is to lie about my age which automatically makes me ten years younger. Doesn't it?
I agree.. you do look about 30...
Old 05-28-2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Not sure I follow that, unless you are referring to a GI tract disorder.

What I mean by that is if you can assimilate nutrients from a meat based diet (a Big Mac etc.) why not plant based, meaning vegies etc?

Your body needs about 8% protein, vegies have about 10%, animal based food about 20% which is not needed.
Interesting avatar, Jimbo. Is that your scale?
Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 PM
Sage

Scale? no, solar panel.

How did your marathon go?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Scale? no, solar panel.

How did your marathon go?
Solar panel, of course!

Marathon went well. I finished in top third. It was hot and needed lots of hydration.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.