Do you mind wearing a mask?

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2015, 09:45 PM
Default Do you mind wearing a mask?

I have worked at 2 offices with different protocols about masks. One office had a sign saying if you had flu symptoms or a fever to please wear the provided mask. The other office never offers/asks patients to wear a mask because they say it might offend someone.My son's doctor had a well room and a sick room and kept the children separate. What is your thought on this? From both perspectives, the sick patient and the well patient. I guess I can see it from both sides. If I am at the doctor, feeling great, having my yearly check up and the person next to me is coughing and wheezing and looking like death I tend to want to move away. If I am sick and feeling like poop and just want to be back home in my bed the last thing I want is everyone looking at me and treating me like I have the plague. From the doctors side of the equation I kinda think the mask is pointless. Honestly, if someone is wearing a mask do you all of a sudden feel like there is a magic bubble around them that keeps all their sickness away? I get it, the mask helps. I watch patients cough,wipe their nose, stick their finger in their ear and then pick up a magazine......Is there a mask for the magazine, lol? So, what is your take on a mask at the doctors office? If you are sick does it offend you? If you are well does it comfort you? If you are sick do you prefer to have one? If you are well does it make you uncomfortable because now you know that person 6 feet away from you must be REALLY sick to have to have a mask?
Old 10-16-2015, 02:50 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Given all the people here with compromised immune systems, I think the mask is a good idea and would happily wear one for the sake of those near me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-16-2015, 04:27 AM
Sage

I think germs are spread mainly not by breathing but by not washing hands often enough. So I wash my hands and then try not to touch the door handle on the way out. I seem to catch colds mostly on airplanes, airports
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-16-2015, 04:35 AM
Sage

I once insisted on wearing a mask while I saw my doctor, because I had no idea what was wrong with me but had serious symptomatology: my tongue was literally in an S curve, and I had been rejected from ER by clowns who said they fix broken limbs but do not diagnose difficulty swallowing. I suspected a virus.

The doctor's notes in my med record made observation that I insisted on a mask.
After three days in hospital, I was dc'd with many possibilities ruled out but no diagnosis.

Should I have worn a mask? The m.d. Did not think I needed it and asked me why I was wearing it.

I eventually was diagnosed...will save that for follow up to comments on the mask...
Old 10-16-2015, 04:51 AM
Email Reported As Spam

The OP's question is indeed problematic. As one poster pointed out door handles, etc carry germs. The OP speaks to going to the doctor's office but what about all the other social gatherings here?

During flu season for instance my foursome practice a bump fist when finishing a round of golf.

If my flu symptoms were of such a nature that caused sneezing and a runny nose I suppose that I would wear a mask if going to a public place to protect other people. On he other hand what do I do with my hands which obviosuly as contaminated?
Old 10-16-2015, 06:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthemindofanurse View Post
I have worked at 2 offices with different protocols about masks. One office had a sign saying if you had flu symptoms or a fever to please wear the provided mask. The other office never offers/asks patients to wear a mask because they say it might offend someone.My son's doctor had a well room and a sick room and kept the children separate. What is your thought on this? From both perspectives, the sick patient and the well patient. I guess I can see it from both sides. If I am at the doctor, feeling great, having my yearly check up and the person next to me is coughing and wheezing and looking like death I tend to want to move away. If I am sick and feeling like poop and just want to be back home in my bed the last thing I want is everyone looking at me and treating me like I have the plague. From the doctors side of the equation I kinda think the mask is pointless. Honestly, if someone is wearing a mask do you all of a sudden feel like there is a magic bubble around them that keeps all their sickness away? I get it, the mask helps. I watch patients cough,wipe their nose, stick their finger in their ear and then pick up a magazine......Is there a mask for the magazine, lol? So, what is your take on a mask at the doctors office? If you are sick does it offend you? If you are well does it comfort you? If you are sick do you prefer to have one? If you are well does it make you uncomfortable because now you know that person 6 feet away from you must be REALLY sick to have to have a mask?
In NY this is easy--the NY State health dept requires us to give out masks to symptomatic patients. Once in an exam room, if I feel they are low risk, I just have them take it off. They put it back on to walk out.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Sage

If I sneeze my wife insists I wear a full face mask for 3 days that looks like a young Burt Reynolds.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
If I sneeze my wife insists I wear a full face mask for 3 days that looks like a young Burt Reynolds.
What mask do you insist she wears if she sneezes?
Old 10-16-2015, 11:09 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
The OP's question is indeed problematic. As one poster pointed out door handles, etc carry germs. The OP speaks to going to the doctor's office but what about all the other social gatherings here?

During flu season for instance my foursome practice a bump fist when finishing a round of golf.

If my flu symptoms were of such a nature that caused sneezing and a runny nose I suppose that I would wear a mask if going to a public place to protect other people. On he other hand what do I do with my hands which obviosuly as contaminated?
We're never going to live in a sterile world. The reason for masks in the doctor's office, ER or a hospital is there is a much higher concentration of people sick with flu-like illnesses, as well as many more immunocompromised patients who can get really, really sick from the flu. In the general public, just use common sense.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
What mask do you insist she wears if she sneezes?
I have at least 12 in my closet but she refuses to sneeze. It's so frustrating. My oldest one is Betty Rubble.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:20 AM
Sage

Quote:
I have at least 12 in my closet but she refuses to sneeze. It's so frustrating. My oldest one is Betty Rubble.
At least it wasn't Pebbles. You can get in a lot of trouble for THAT!!!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I think germs are spread mainly not by breathing but by not washing hands often enough. So I wash my hands and then try not to touch the door handle on the way out. I seem to catch colds mostly on airplanes, airports
I know what you mean. I think airplanes are flying Petri dishes so I always head for a shower as soon as I can after a flight. Maybe I am being a little neurotic. I call that shower the decontamination chamber.

I try not to be too Monk-like, but I will not use glass glasses in a hotel room since I read that they often do not get washed, just rinsed out in the sink. More places seem to have the wrapped plastic ones now so word must be out.

And when it comes to hand washing, I could give Lady MacBeth a run.

Uh, oh. I guess I do sound a bit neurotic. (Sigh)
Old 10-16-2015, 11:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
At least it wasn't Pebbles. You can get in a lot of trouble for THAT!!!
or Dino in most states. [you knew i was going to go there]
Old 10-16-2015, 12:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
or Dino in most states. [you knew i was going to go there]
Yes, but Barney is now permitted in those states
Old 10-16-2015, 01:29 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
We're never going to live in a sterile world. The reason for masks in the doctor's office, ER or a hospital is there is a much higher concentration of people sick with flu-like illnesses, as well as many more immunocompromised patients who can get really, really sick from the flu. In the general public, just use common sense.
golfing eagles: Common sense two of the most misleading words in the English (American) language . I handled a lot of product liability issues in my time and you would believe common sense would be enough for a person to know not to lift a lawn mower while the engine is running but you'd be wrong.....so manufacturers had to display in big block letters: WARNING Keep your hands away from the blade while it is in motion A

Without that warning a manufacturer is likely liable so shall I go on.........................................
Closed Thread

Tags
mask, sick, office, doctors, patient, person, doctor, feeling, room, wearing, wear, offend, patients, magazine, pointless, uncomfortable, comfort, prefer, make, honestly, kinda, side, plague, treating, feet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.