'Doctor In The Mirror' author Tuckso offers tips for living longer, healthier lives

Closed Thread
Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
My mirror broke when I looked into it.

Couldn't be your avatar that caused that. ::
Old 12-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Give up, Joe.
Your right!!!!

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-13-2014, 01:32 PM
Sage
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Or you start a club called: "let's ask someone who really knows!"
Or: Let's ask someone who really knows about drugs!!

Or: Take Drugs & Be Healthy - Sort Of.

Or: Don't Worry, Be Happy With Drugs.

Old 12-13-2014, 02:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
Some people don't even consider what a doctor says when it comes to eating, losing weight, stop smoking, etc.
Once again I agree with you up to a point:

What do medical doctors have to say about eating, other than to tell you what foods don't go with certain medications?

Medical doctors are not licensed dietitians.

In the lecture I mentioned above, Dr. Tuckson didn't give any specific instructions on what constitutes a healthy diet.

One of his statements went like this: "Whatever it is that causes you to exercise or to eat properly, whatever that dream is, please protect it."

Did you see "eat properly"? That's all you're likely to get, if you're lucky....not even a whole sentence devoted to the subject of eating properly.
And, "eating properly" is not likely to be defined by a medical doctor. They are not licensed dietitians.

I'm still not sure what the heck he meant: Perhaps he meant: "Look in the mirror and you will see the best lifestyle doctor you will ever meet." (or, lifestyle advocate?)
But if that's what he meant, why didn't he say that?
Old 12-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL View Post
Or: Let's ask someone who really knows about drugs!!

Or: Take Drugs & Be Healthy - Sort Of.

Or: Don't Worry, Be Happy With Drugs.

If only you would see that some drugs are helpful. That no matter what people eat and how they take care of their bodies, they get sick and they age and the drugs available make their life better and fend off other illnesses. You seem to believe because you do not take medicine you win some kind of competition. I know that two medicines would make your life and ours so much easier.

You have had difficulties with your prostate, but didn't say if your doctor wanted to test you, or IF you told your doctor. I am sure, because you eat a low fat plant based diet and your BMI is low that you are ahead of the game. That you are healthier than most of us. But I am also pretty sure that we aren't getting the whole story on suggestions your doctor is making..

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-13-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
If only you would see that some drugs are helpful. That no matter what people eat and how they take care of their bodies, they get sick and they age and the drugs available make their life better and fend off other illnesses. You seem to believe because you do not take medicine you win some kind of competition. I know that two medicines would make your life and ours so much easier.
My suggestions were lighthearted suggestions with an icon wink at the bottom. At no time did I say that drugs are not sometimes needed by certain chronic conditions.

About, "Winning some kind of competition." Do you really hate the thought that I'm healthy and doing well? The competition is with mother nature. And I tell people I'm drug-free since I learned that more and more people claim to be healthy but forget to mention they are taking drugs.

Quote:
You have had difficulties with your prostate, but didn't say if your doctor wanted to test you, or IF you told your doctor.
That's old "news". "Have had" is correct. Of course I told my doctor and no special test was recommended.

Quote:
I am sure, because you eat a low fat plant based diet and your BMI is low that you are ahead of the game. That you are healthier than most of us. But I am also pretty sure that your doctor may want to smack you.
What ever gave you that idea? Perhaps you are "projecting". In other words, you are the one who wants to smack me.

Quote:
Stubborn is a very difficult condition to overcome. I have it myself.
In my everyday life I consider myself to be easy going, not stubborn. Even when it comes to eating I'm willing to bend the rules just a little when I go out to eat once or twice a month.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages PL;980***
What do medical doctors have to say about eating, other than to tell you what foods don't go with certain medications? Medical doctors are not licensed dietitians. And, "eating properly" is not likely to be defined by a medical doctor. They are not licensed dietitians.
My family doctor is a highly educated and intelligent woman. She isn't a licensed dietitian.
However she has lots of good information to offer about the newest facts regarding healthy eating.
Perhaps your own personal doctor can't offer you good information. But that doesn't mean the medical profession is devoid of proper information.
I consider having a low BMI and leading a drug-free life to be a gift from God.
I would never criticize anyone who takes drugs. I totally support people who take drugs to improve their life or rectify medical problems.

Last edited by Barefoot; 12-13-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
My family doctor is a highly educated and intelligent woman. She isn't a licensed dietitian.
However she has lots of good information to offer about the newest facts regarding healthy eating.
So she's practicing without a license?

Quote:
Perhaps your own personal doctor can't offer you good information. But that doesn't mean the medical profession is devoid of proper information.
There are always exceptions. For example, I went to a lecture by a man who had multiple degrees. (M.D., nutrition etc.) But exceptions don't make the rule.

Quote:
I consider having a low BMI and leading a drug-free life to be a gift from God.
What about those who have a high BMI and take lots of drugs, did God do them wrong?

Quote:
I would never criticize anyone who takes drugs. I totally support people who take drugs to improve their life or rectify medical problems.
I would never say never. Of course I would never do it to be mean or embarrass someone but I might state circumstances where people could get off drugs by following a healthy diet. So I don't support the use of drugs in all situations.

P.S. My doctor said he studied nutrition in college but didn't say whether or not he had a degree in nutrition. But even if he does have a degree, it could be 1) as much as 25 years old and somewhat outdated 2) unused knowledge gets forgotten anyway and 3) why would he want to open up a conversation about nutrition when he's already pressed for time and won't get paid for the extra effort? It doesn't make much sense.
Old 12-15-2014, 12:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
My suggestions were lighthearted suggestions with an icon wink at the bottom. At no time did I say that drugs are not sometimes needed by certain chronic conditions.

About, "Winning some kind of competition." Do you really hate the thought that I'm healthy and doing well? The competition is with mother nature. And I tell people I'm drug-free since I learned that more and more people claim to be healthy but forget to mention they are taking drugs.

That's old "news". "Have had" is correct. Of course I told my doctor and no special test was recommended.

What ever gave you that idea? Perhaps you are "projecting". In other words, you are the one who wants to smack me.

In my everyday life I consider myself to be easy going, not stubborn. Even when it comes to eating I'm willing to bend the rules just a little when I go out to eat once or twice a month.

Being healthy and having to take drugs appropriately are NOT mutually exclusive. For example, it is possible to take insulin and be a healthy diabetic.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:02 PM
Sage

Quote:

There are always exceptions. For example, I went to a lecture by a man who had multiple degrees. (M.D., nutrition etc.) But exceptions don't make the rule.

What about those who have a high BMI and take lots of drugs, did God do them wrong?

I would never say never. Of course I would never do it to be mean or embarrass someone but I might state circumstances where people could get off drugs by following a healthy diet. So I don't support the use of drugs in all situations.

P.S. My doctor said he studied nutrition in college but didn't say whether or not he had a degree in nutrition. But even if he does have a degree, it could be 1) as much as 25 years old and somewhat outdated 2) unused knowledge gets forgotten anyway and 3) why would he want to open up a conversation about nutrition when he's already pressed for time and won't get paid for the extra effort? It doesn't make much sense.

Your view of physicians is twisted. They are not, for the most part, money grabbers. I had an appointment last week. My doctor was an hour late for my appointment. He was late because he is a caring person who had just spent 1.5 hours with a distressed patient and his spouse. I didn't mind his lateness at all and told him it was not necessary to apologize. I go to him because he is a compassionate and empathetic human being.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Being healthy and having to take drugs appropriately are NOT mutually exclusive. For example, it is possible to take insulin and be a healthy diabetic.
Again, you missed the point of what I said. There's a difference between being healthy and being at your best despite having a chronic condition like diabetes. (But often it's not chronic and can be reversed through diet and exercise.)

There are many instances where people take drugs when they don't need to if they would just choose a healthier lifestyle.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Of course my family doctor is a licensed medical doctor.
She is young, highly intelligent, and definitely a proponent of healthy eating.
She is very advanced in her thinking, one of the reasons I chose her.
I too enjoy a drug-free retirement. However I don't feel superior to those who need drugs to improve their quality of life.
My family doctor is certainly qualified to discuss ideas for healthy eating.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
I don't think dbusonne's view is twisted. I don't think he is having reading comprehension problems.
Of course, because you work as a team. I get that.

Remember my question? If having a low BMI and not having to take drugs is a gift from God, then what happened to those who have a high BMI and take lots of drugs? Did God do them wrong?
Old 12-16-2014, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Of course, because you work as a team. I get that.
If two people share a belief, yet they've never met, are they working as a team?
P.S.
We are wildly off topic here. Let's talk about tips for living a longer, healthier life.

Last edited by Barefoot; 12-16-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-16-2014, 12:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
Is her medical doctor a licensed dietitian?
Quote:
Of course my family doctor is a licensed medical doctor.
She is young, highly intelligent, and definitely a proponent of healthy eating.
She is very advanced in her thinking, one of the reasons I chose her.
I too enjoy a drug-free retirement. However I don't feel superior to those who need drugs to improve their quality of life.
My family doctor is certainly qualified to discuss ideas for healthy eating.
VPL, I've already replied to your question (and I don't know why you are asking CFrance about my doctor).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.