Doctors require your social security number?

Closed Thread
Old 02-03-2021, 06:44 PM
Veteran member
Default Doctors require your social security number?

My wife was told by a doctor's staff that Florida law requires her to give them her social security number. I think this is bogus, although, I think the doctor can refuse the appointment.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I have not heard this. I think the use of SS numbers has been cut back on for non financial uses. The medicare number is no longer the SS number. I would say he is wrong.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,141 Times in 5,375 Posts

We moved here a year ago and have seen a number of new DR's and have filled out their forms.

We leave the parts about the SS number blank and nobody seems to care. All they want is a copy of our insurance card
Old 02-03-2021, 08:27 PM
Platinum member
Default Don't

SSN is NOT required. Your Medicare Number is NOT required unless you are on ordinary Medicare and not a supplement or advantage plan.

Sharing your SSN number with any one other than the IRS is dangerous. They will put that number and your personal information, like address, Credit Card #, DOB, etc. in a database that is easily hacked. If criminals can hack Target and the Pentagon, they can hack your doctor's records too. Took me a year and lots of money to get my identity back and I still don't know where they got my info.

Just refuse or put in 000-00-0000.

Skip
Old 02-03-2021, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
We moved here a year ago and have seen a number of new DR's and have filled out their forms.

We leave the parts about the SS number blank and nobody seems to care. All they want is a copy of our insurance card
My wife and I for years have never put SS numbers on any doctor's forms. No one has ever said that we needed to. Maybe one time an office assistant asked and I said you don't need that and that ended that.
Old 02-04-2021, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,579 Times in 1,323 Posts

One of my insurances my ID is SS #. Can’t believe it but it’s been that way for six years. So they get mine no matter what unless I don’t want them to bill. However a few years back one always in any medical field asked for Social Security number. It was much easier to use somebody else’s card go to the doctor and not have to pay. Many things have changed, but every once in awhile it still happens
Old 02-04-2021, 09:34 AM
Veteran member

What bothers me is the lie saying Florida law requires you give your ss#. Show me the Fl. statute.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:08 AM
Veteran member
Default SS number.

Actually there is a federal mandate to make sure all SS numbers are removed from Medicare cards. That being said there's also a federal law and you cannot ask for an SS number ! So next time they ask you for that simply refuse or don't put anything in and mention that they can get sued for asking. What they can however ask for is to take a picture of your face and or see your license to verify you are who you say you are as many people that are illegal use someone else's Medicare card to get free treatment. In the old days the SS number was used to verify who you were
Old 02-05-2021, 06:10 AM

It’s not a law but the reasoning behind it is simple. Some people simply do not pay their bills, and hospitals and doctors often have little recourse if they can't contact you. As the one universal identifier of all Americans, Social Security numbers give health care providers the last-ditch means to collect on medical debt.

According to a report from the American Hospital Association, over $40 billion dollars in hospital bills are unpaid each year. This doesn't include the unpaid bills to private practice physicians or other forms of non-hospital-based care. It is an enormous problem that only serves to drive up healthcare costs nationwide.

They may refuse you treatment.
Old 02-05-2021, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
My wife was told by a doctor's staff that Florida law requires her to give them her social security number. I think this is bogus, although, I think the doctor can refuse the appointment.
There is nothing bogus about it, that’s how they have proof they are treating the actual patient, whom the insurance is for...they also keep your medical information via your SS# . You can thank all the previous insurance fraud cases for that...
Old 02-05-2021, 06:36 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Nannyof3 Send a message via AIM to Nannyof3 Send a message via Yahoo to Nannyof3 Send a message via Skype™ to Nannyof3

I give the last 4 and I have never been asked for more
Old 02-05-2021, 06:52 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,561 Times in 598 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nannyof3 View Post
I give the last 4 and I have never been asked for more
Me too and never has anyone questioned it. Its not a big deal and that question has benn on forms since the beginning of time.
Old 02-05-2021, 07:45 AM
Gold member
Default SS # no

I never fill in my SS. They don’t need it.
Old 02-05-2021, 08:29 AM
Default SS# not necessary

It seems to me that a drivers license with your picture together with a valid insurance card is enough ID for medical treatment. Your SS Number as has been stated is for collection purposes not identification. Medical offices are one of the sources of identity theft and dishonest office employees have access to a treasure trove of important information. The doctors I see collect the co pays before treatment. There's no valid reason why they would need social security numbers and I don't give mine out any more.
Old 02-05-2021, 09:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,876 Times in 950 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
I too am concerned. Your social security number is an important tool for ID theft. In a doctor's office, dentist etc, you do not know who or what has access to the information that we provide to them. Doctor's staff? Many of the first contact people, the folks on the phone have no qualification other than having bought a white coat.
Closed Thread

Tags
doctors, number, security, social, doctor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.