Does having a DNR include do not call 911?

Closed Thread
Old 03-19-2023, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Does having a DNR include do not call 911?

I recently heard about a person who has a DNR and they also do not want 911 to be called.

Right or wrong I associate DNR to mean NOT prolonging life via various life support mechanisms.

That is not how I view calling 911.

While I do honor ones wishes... I have a very different view of the need for 911.......saving VS prolonging.

Other opinions/experiences?

Old 03-19-2023, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
I recently heard about a person who has a DNR and they also do not want 911 to be called.

Right or wrong I associate DNR to mean NOT prolonging life via various life support mechanisms.

While I do honor ones wishes... I have a very different view of the need for 911.......saving VS prolonging.

I always assumed the DNR provided direction to emergency care workers (EMTs, emergency rooms, doctors, etc) and possibly neighborhood AED teams.

Today, I would call 911 and let the trained professionals make the appropriate medical decision. Today there is no DNR in place for anyone I know. I don't know what I might do if the DNR applied to someone I care about - I hope I never find myself in that position.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-19-2023, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,914 Times in 918 Posts

You will have a different view of life due to differing circumstances. My view is that I don’t impose my view onto someone else, so under that the scenario, I honor the other person’s wishes.

I don’t deny others’ religious beliefs being an atheist. And first principle of communication is seek to understand

Good luck with your struggle
Old 03-19-2023, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,021 Times in 1,747 Posts

DNR I thought meant unnecessary life saving measures when there is no hope of quality of life (I’m paraphrasing). We don’t know that until it’s medically evaluated, so call 911 ALWAYS!
Old 03-19-2023, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
I always assumed the DNR provided direction to emergency care workers (EMTs, emergency rooms, doctors, etc) and possibly neighborhood AED teams.

Today, I would call 911 and let the trained professionals make the appropriate medical decision. Today there is no DNR in place for anyone I know. I don't know what I might do if the DNR applied to someone I care about - I hope I never find myself in that position.
I agree. Also, I would be concerned about possible liability by not calling 911. As I understand it, unless someone is receiving Hospice care, any death in a home needs to be investigated.
Old 03-19-2023, 09:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,046 Times in 731 Posts

Quote:

Where does this come from? A DNR is a specific legal & medical terminology/order, that's implemented (or takes effect) when you stop breathing or blood flow stops.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-03-19 at 10.20.07 AM.jpg
Views:	2762
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	97528  
Old 03-19-2023, 10:05 AM

As noted in other responses, a DNR (do not resuscitate) is a legal/medical instruction for a healthcare provider. It is not meant to be guidance for an in-home, out shopping, pickleball playing, etc. emergency. Always dial 911.
Old 03-19-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:

I listened to a doctor being interviewed on NPR. He has DNR tattooed on his left chest. He said only 8% (9.%1 per American Heart Association) of people who receive out-of-hospital CPR survive. Of those 8 people 4 will require life-long care due to serious disability, 4 will return to their previous lives with some form of disability, and 2 (2%) will return to their lives and function at the same level as they did prior to CPR. A google search will show survival figures as high as 45% which is why I used The American Heart Association.

Unfortunately a DNR tattoo will be disregarded by EMTs because it isn't a bona fide legal document- i.e. signature, witness signature, etc., and EMTs are fearful that honoring this tattoo would subject them to legal trouble.
Old 03-19-2023, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,390 Times in 2,068 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsloan1960 View Post
I listened to a doctor being interviewed on NPR. He has DNR tattooed on his left chest. He said only 8% (9.%1 per American Heart Association) of people who receive out-of-hospital CPR survive. Of those 8 people 4 will require life-long care due to serious disability, 4 will return to their previous lives with some form of disability, and 2 (2%) will return to their lives and function at the same level as they did prior to CPR. A google search will show survival figures as high as 45% which is why I used The American Heart Association.

Unfortunately a DNR tattoo will be disregarded by EMTs because it isn't a bona fide legal document- i.e. signature, witness signature, etc., and EMTs are fearful that honoring this tattoo would subject them to legal trouble.
One of those 2% will be joining me on a cruise in May. I'm glad the statistics didn't get in the way of that.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 03-19-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
One of those 2% will be joining me on a cruise in May. I'm glad the statistics didn't get in the way of that.
Cool. I also know someone who recovered after CPR. However, if the statistic is to be believed your chances of returning to life / a quality life are remote. I would opt for DNR- but that just happens to be my choice.
Old 03-19-2023, 05:18 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,640 Times in 444 Posts

Quote:

I would always call 911- so if a person simply slipped in the bathroom and knocked themselves unconscious, you should not call 911, if that is in their DNR?
Old 03-19-2023, 11:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,180 Times in 835 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael 61 View Post
I would always call 911- so if a person simply slipped in the bathroom and knocked themselves unconscious, you should not call 911, if that is in their DNR?
You having difficulty with the very clear difference between not performing CPR when a person has no heartbeat and/or no respirations versus not getting help for someone who is breathing, has a heartbeat and is simply unconscious? A DNR has absolutely no application to the situation you wrote about.

The DNR form in Florida comes in both a large size usually kept on the refrigerator and a wallet size obviously kept in a wallet. Interestingly CPR training does not instruct either a paramedic or a bystander to check the wallet for the presence of a DNR form at any point, thus having on your person a DNR form will not prevent people from doing CPR. That is why the doctor mentioned above added a tattoo.
Old 03-20-2023, 01:23 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 561 Posts

Hospice = no call 911
or wait till the next month when the Social Security check auto deposits / possibly stretching it until the next Quarter for dividend check to hit!
Old 03-20-2023, 07:04 AM

Not all 911 calls are life saving calls. One example: a fall with a broken hip. Hu
Old 03-20-2023, 07:15 AM
Default DNR and 911

I believe the law applies in Fla the same as NY. If EMT responds to a scene they are required to initiate lifesaving measures. If they are responding to a persons home and that person is unresponsive (ie, not breathing &no heartbeat) they are again required to initiate lifesaving measures unless that person has an “in home” DNR form. This is a specific form for use in the home. No other DNR form is accepted
Closed Thread

Tags
dnr, view, prolonging, life, wishes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.