Doctors Patient membership plan

Closed Thread
Old 08-17-2017, 05:55 PM
Default Doctors Patient membership plan

Has anyone ever heard of this, the Dr.is on 466 in Ladylake

As a new patient I made an appointment with this doctor after filling out all the paperwork I was handed an envelope and told to read the patient membership plan. $500.00 per year to become his patient how absurd. After reading that and the sign on the wall stating he does not carry malpractice insurance it was time to leave. Nowhere in my research did I see anything about the above statements.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWH&PH View Post

As a new patient I made an appointment with this doctor after filling out all the paperwork I was handed an envelope and told to read the patient membership plan. $500.00 per year to become his patient how absurd. After reading that and the sign on the wall stating he does not carry malpractice insurance it was time to leave. Nowhere in my research did I see anything about the above statements.
Which doctor is this?
Old 08-17-2017, 08:28 PM
Veteran member

Is sounds like Concierge Care. In theory by charging a membership fee the the doc does not need as many patients to run his business and can spend more time with each patient and provide extra services. $500 a year, though, seems like a low annual membership fee. Look it up "concierge care" in wikipedia Concierge medicine - Wikipedia for more info. We have some friends back up north who use it and feel it gives them better access to medical services.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouNeverKnow View Post
Which doctor is this?
Could be Medical Concierge Care – Your Choice for High Quality Comprehensive Health Care . Just a guess though.
Old 08-17-2017, 09:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Is sounds like Concierge Care. In theory by charging a membership fee the the doc does not need as many patients to run his business and can spend more time with each patient and provide extra services. $500 a year, though, seems like a low annual membership fee. Look it up "concierge care" in wikipedia Concierge medicine - Wikipedia for more info. We have some friends back up north who use it and feel it gives them better access to medical services.

I had an exceptional internist when we lived in Las Vegas. After several years he joined a concierge plan. It cost each of us $1500 per year and was worth every penny. As I said he was an exceptional doc. I'm comfortable selecting physicians

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 08-18-2017, 01:26 AM
Veteran member

The doctor is Dr. Martinez Cruz and I feel confident saying you will not find a better internist in the area.
He is an excellent diagnostician and takes the time to listen to you.
That $500 is money well spent!
Old 08-18-2017, 04:42 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWH&PH View Post

Do you know if he bills insurance companies? some practices have taken to you pay me and I will give you a receipt and you go after your money from the insurance company.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Sounds like the world's cheapest concierge practice
Old 08-18-2017, 05:55 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,344 Posts

I pay $1,800. per year for EACH of my parents for their doctor in VA. Worth every penny. They are seen when needed and never any waiting.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:13 AM

So, if I pay the Dr. upfront, that's all I pay him for the year? So I don't pay anymore if I visit him for check ups, blood work, xrays, a illness or injury?
Old 08-18-2017, 07:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
The doctor is Dr. Martinez Cruz and I feel confident saying you will not find a better internist in the area.
He is an excellent diagnostician and takes the time to listen to you.
That $500 is money well spent!
It is important to me that an MD is board certified. Dr. Felix Agbo takes the time and is board certified. He isn't in a plan like this but he is conveniently located near Lake Sumter Landing. BUT...sometimes you wait a long time. His PA who we saw for the first time after several years of being his patient is excellent as well. She conducted the Medicare interview for wellness and pointed out a number of things that we have changed or integrated into our lives. I like him. He is smart and he is up to date and he is kind and wears awesome ties too.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:45 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,340 Times in 1,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeriteri View Post
So, if I pay the Dr. upfront, that's all I pay him for the year? So I don't pay anymore if I visit him for check ups, blood work, xrays, a illness or injury?
I doubt that very much. He will limit the number of patients that he accepts so you get personalized care, not just a number sitting in a waiting room. You or your insurance company will still pay as normal. I'm going to give him a try.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Ahhhhhh.....NO!
Think of it as paying dues to belong to a country club. You still have to pay to eat and drink there.

The so called membership fee is a way of filtering out the number of members. When there is sufficient demand to do so, it is beneficial to the provider and should be to the members......with emphasis on the should be!
Old 08-18-2017, 08:02 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
It's in addition to what you would pay without membership.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Do you know if he bills insurance companies? some practices have taken to you pay me and I will give you a receipt and you go after your money from the insurance company.
Quote:
He has always taken our medicare and supplemental insurance. I am assuming he will continue to do so.

No -- the $500 is kind of like a membership fee. However, if you have insurance, as I said in the above paragraph, with supplemental insurance, things should remain the same.

Call his office for exact information. (352-750-6650)

Tags
patient, plan, membership, stating, wall

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.