Dr Nguyen - knee replacement - just had it done

Closed Thread
Old 12-25-2014, 11:34 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Nothing against Dr. Nguyen at all, but I've been very pleased with my TKR done by Dr. Duke early this year. I had minimal pain, was out of the hospital on the second day, and up and around almost immediately. I'm convinced that success of the replacement (assuming the doctor does a good job of course) is almost totally dependent on the patient's commitment to the therapy.
I'll second that!!!!
Old 12-25-2014, 11:23 PM

I saw Dr Nguyen's PA on Dec. 8th, and am on the schedule for May 28th. One thing that has somewhat helped me is an injection of Syn-Visc done by a different doctor. It does not take the pain away, but i think it is actually helping some.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:34 PM

Was this procedure covered by ins.? how much did it end up costing you?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggie View Post
Was this procedure covered by ins.? how much did it end up costing you?

Are you talking about the knee replacement or the injection?
Old 12-28-2014, 10:09 PM

I had my knee replacement by Dr Duke in July 2014. The lower part of my knee is still numb from cutting the muscles and nerves. Some days it still hurts to stand long times. I have a friend that went to Dr Nguyen with far greater success. I was in a local rehab with a lot of Nguyen patients. They were far more progressed than I was since my muscles/nerves were cut.
I am seeing Nguyen in March for my other knee. Dr Duke is a great surgeon but technology changes and it seems that Nguyen's patients are much quicker to recover.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulascorpio View Post
I had my knee replacement by Dr Duke in July 2014. The lower part of my knee is still numb from cutting the muscles and nerves. Some days it still hurts to stand long times. I have a friend that went to Dr Nguyen with far greater success. I was in a local rehab with a lot of Nguyen patients. They were far more progressed than I was since my muscles/nerves were cut.

I am seeing Nguyen in March for my other knee. Dr Duke is a great surgeon but technology changes and it seems that Nguyen's patients are much quicker to recover.

Sorry to hear that. With all due respect, I appear to have had much better results with Dr. Duke. I have no numbness and recovery was surpassingly quick.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT2TV View Post
Are you talking about the knee replacement or the injection?

knee replacement
Old 12-29-2014, 08:52 AM

several factors are involved in the replacement. one is a skilled surgeon, mine was dr. duke, who does not cut muscle, tendons, or ligaments, i am not overweight, age, i was 60 when i had the surgery, i trained hard for the surgery, strength, worked hard after in rehab at home, walker for one day, cane for two weeks, golfing from forward tees at 6 weeks, full swings at 12 weeks, now, one year later, ran and walked a mini marathon, do a workout on the elliptical than is second to none. very happy. you are only going to get out of the replacement what you want. i want all that i can get out of that.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:07 AM

Have a neighbor that says the same about Dr. Nguyen....and BTW, I would feel far more confident about the outcome with any surgery at Florida Hospital Altamonte (or Orlando) or even Florida Hospital Waterman.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsterdad View Post
several factors are involved in the replacement. one is a skilled surgeon, mine was dr. duke, who does not cut muscle, tendons, or ligaments, i am not overweight, age, i was 60 when i had the surgery, i trained hard for the surgery, strength, worked hard after in rehab at home, walker for one day, cane for two weeks, golfing from forward tees at 6 weeks, full swings at 12 weeks, now, one year later, ran and walked a mini marathon, do a workout on the elliptical than is second to none. very happy. you are only going to get out of the replacement what you want. i want all that i can get out of that.
I totally agree, the skilled surgeon is key, with either conventional or robotic TKR. Both surgeries muscle, tendons and ligaments are cut. Excess weight in the area requires a larger incision, as with all surgery. Physical condition before surgery will make it much easier with PT after. Dedication to PT is what makes the difference if you just want to be pain free or be active, sports, dancing, golfing or long walks. Stationary bike, to me, was a necessity to loosen up the leg before PT. It is no walk in the park and not entirely up to the surgeon, you have to give 100%.

The flex the OP is referring to is the passive motion machine, only moves the leg up and down, no big deal. The worse part is yet to come, flexing backward. Bring the heal of the foot back and up to the butt. That is the real flex.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Default Knee Replacement with Dr. Nguyen

There is no comparison with the results you will get with Dr. Nguyen. I had a full knee replacement nine years ago. My husband had the surgery on Sept. 19th with Dr. Nguyen and we both can tell you there is a world of difference. He was walking 1000 steps the same evening as surgery (which was late in the day) and put down the walker in two days. The outpatient therapy was 3 weeks and he has 125 degrees mobility. I have never had that result with my knee. Yes it is a long way or the surgery but he has offices here for the followup visits. Be prepared to see Physican Assistants for most of the followup. I guess he is just too busy to see everyone afterward.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:49 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlwallach View Post
There is no comparison with the results you will get with Dr. Nguyen. I had a full knee replacement nine years ago. My husband had the surgery on Sept. 19th with Dr. Nguyen and we both can tell you there is a world of difference. He was walking 1000 steps the same evening as surgery (which was late in the day) and put down the walker in two days. The outpatient therapy was 3 weeks and he has 125 degrees mobility..

Actually results can be very comparable. The recovery stats you mention are almost identical to mine. I think the most important number you mention is "nine years ago".

Sorry, but it's apples-and-oranges to compare surgeries from then and now, regardless of the surgeon.
Old 01-10-2015, 12:30 AM
Default Dr. Nguyen is Amazing

Had my right knee done a year ago by a highly recognized Tampa surgeon. Pain was a 9/10 for 2-3 weeks, and I was in PT for 12 weeks...on pain meds for all that time. Had my left knee done this past November by Dr. Nguyen. Pain was 2/10, went to PT 3 times before being released by P.A. with 125 degree flex. Was line dancing at Spanish Springs at 3 weeks post surgery. Off pain meds after 2 weeks, and only used them to sleep. You don't need to wait many months to see doctor and schedule surgery if you are willing to have your initial appointment scheduled with the PA instead of the doctor. At least that way, you can get on the surgery schedule. Only concern I have is that there is a fair amount of disorganization within this practice, probably because Dr. Nguyen takes on too many patients for the staff he employs. It is important to check and double check appointment times, etc. Things seem to change quickly, and not always with advanced notice. None the less, the ends justify the means, in my opinion.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggie View Post
knee replacement
I am still waiting to have the replacement done.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:56 PM

who did you go with
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.