ER at The Villages Hospital

Closed Thread
Old 06-12-2017, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,944 Times in 4,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeoscawana View Post
My grandson came for a visit when he was 3 yrs old. He had a seizer and we rushed him to the Villages hospital where we waited 5 hours. We never saw a doctor; only an n.p. I witnessed a man pressing against his chest clearly in pain who also waited. there was NO ONE IN ATTENDANCE WHEN WE GOT THERE....only volunteers who could only tell you to take a seat.
Months later, I spoke to a woman who is a nurse who WORKS THERE, and asked her about this experience whether it was the norm and she told me if her family needed emergency help, she would go to Leesburg, NOT to The Villages!
Where are The Villages standards??? Why is this tolerated in a place with such High Standards for so many other things?
Is there anything more important than our HEALTH?
News flash-----TVRH and Leesburg hospital are run by THE SAME entity. It's like saying I wouldn't go to Walmart on 466, I'd go to Walmart on 441. I suspect the nurse who said that is somewhat unhappy for whatever reason.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:15 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeoscawana View Post
My grandson came for a visit when he was 3 yrs old. He had a seizer and we rushed him to the Villages hospital where we waited 5 hours. We never saw a doctor; only an n.p. I witnessed a man pressing against his chest clearly in pain who also waited. there was NO ONE IN ATTENDANCE WHEN WE GOT THERE....only volunteers who could only tell you to take a seat.
Months later, I spoke to a woman who is a nurse who WORKS THERE, and asked her about this experience whether it was the norm and she told me if her family needed emergency help, she would go to Leesburg, NOT to The Villages!
Where are The Villages standards??? Why is this tolerated in a place with such High Standards for so many other things?
Is there anything more important than our HEALTH?
Not to negate that you had a bad experience but both hospitals are run by the same organization. Also for other posters, the developer isn't involved in the management of the hospitals here...I think, only that Harold Schwartz was responsible, back in the day for bringing TVRH here.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,332 Times in 2,060 Posts

Many of my dog park friends would head up to Shands for treatments of various kinds. UF Health Shands Hospital | UF Health, University of Florida Health
Old 06-12-2017, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,944 Times in 4,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Many of my dog park friends would head up to Shands for treatments of various kinds.
Human or canine?????
Old 06-12-2017, 08:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Human or canine?????
Both actually. Bare probably went looking for that lobster.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Human or canine?????
Actually the UF School of Veterinary Medicine is excellent. We had a cat we took there to be treated by a small animal Cardiologist until it passed away. The UF Orthopedic Center which I go to since I have not yet passed away is also a world class facility.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Human or canine?????

Both. In addition to the Med school and Shands Hospital, they have a great vet school and both large animal and small animal hospitals. Believe it or not, they also have vet specialty residencies. Harry's cavalier predecessor (Winston) had a cardiologist there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-12-2017, 08:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivaridger1 View Post
Actually the UF School of Veterinary Medicine is excellent. We had a cat we took there to be treated by a small animal Cardiologist until it passed away. The UF Orthopedic Center which I go to since I have not yet passed away is also a world class facility.
That's where my dog park friends would often take their cats and dogs. And to the UF Dental School too as I hear they have good rates.
Old 06-12-2017, 01:31 PM

Even if you get seen in the ER, the service is horrible. My mother went in, and then was made to wait, as an admitted patient, 6 days before they actually heard our concern, figured out she had 2 broken vertebrae in her spine, treated her, and released her that day. She died 2 weeks later. They don't care, they seem to have the mentality that everyone here is dying and can't be helped. Unfortunate.

I also had a golf cart accident, was taken in by ambulance with a broken wrist, had horrible, bleeding cuts all over my face and arms. They set the wrist, without ever even wiping off the blood (and I was concerned for infection) or wiping any blood from my face or anywhere else. So sad. I recommend when possible, going into Ocala for care.

It is reasonable to think, in an elder community where healthcare is of utmost importance, that the hospital system here should be of world class standards, rather than sub-par performance. Can't understand it, and people's lives depend on it. Just don't know where to start to get it changed.
Old 06-12-2017, 10:11 PM

Spent 9 hrs in ER waiting room on the Friday before Memorial Day. Finally made in back, but had to wait another 6 hrs before I had a bed upstairs. After I was finally admitted the care was good, really liked some of the nurses. The food was not much. they did not give me any choices on my limited diet.
The longest we waited back in Maryland was 4 hours.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Here's my question ? Over 5000 people have commented on this post. We all know there's a problem there and bitching on here isn't going to fix it. WHY do so many continue to go there then? Go elsewhere for your care. If your going to wait 3 to 9 hours for care hell you could drive to another state. If you don't like the place don't go. It might not be the best but it's EMERGENCY care if that's what you need and you will be treated quickly. Find an urgent care that's open late or go to one of the other Hospitals in the outlying areas.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Here's my question ? Over 5000 people have commented on this post. We all know there's a problem there and bitching on here isn't going to fix it. WHY do so many continue to go there then? Go elsewhere for your care. If your going to wait 3 to 9 hours for care hell you could drive to another state. If you don't like the place don't go. It might not be the best but it's EMERGENCY care if that's what you need and you will be treated quickly. Find an urgent care that's open late or go to one of the other Hospitals in the outlying areas.
Actually 70 have commented on it. 5172 have looked at it.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Actually 70 have commented on it. 5172 have looked at it.
My bad you're correct. Your right the other TVRH discussion has 143 posters and 20,588 views
Old 06-13-2017, 07:17 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default OhioBuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky14 View Post
A few weeks ago, I submitted a Letter to the Editor, Daily Sun, but I have given up hope that it will ever be printed, so I'll share it here...

How is it that in The Villages, where everything is so wonderful, the ER service at its hospital, The Villages Regional Hospital, is so poor? Recently, my daughter was quite ill and waited four hours until the stress of sitting in the waiting room became worse than the stress of being sick at home. We left without having been seen. So did a man and woman sitting across from us. They were in their 80s and had been waiting six hours. And this was when the seasonal residents were gone! Since then, in telling our story, I have come across Villagers who said they spent eight hours or longer in the waiting room. This is appalling. If a business operated like that, it would have no customers. But The Villages Hospital has no competitors, so it does not have to care how long the ill and injured have to wait. With large parcels of land being purchased by The Villages, and the subsequent increase in population, the ability to obtain emergency care in a timely manner should be a huge concern for residents. This is about providing more than just amenities and shopping. This is about meeting life’s emergency needs.
I agree with you 100%. One month after having a 5 way heart bypass I had an issue that needed attention, I sat in the waiting room 5 1/2 hrs. I was told by my heart Dr. to be careful not to get the flu or any other kind of virus. There were 3 people in the waiting room with vomit buckets. It didn't mean nothing to the receptionist or the TV hospital what I was told about what my heart Dr. said. Not going to get into a long story but TV hospital to me isn't a place where you want to go. found out TV hospital can't treat heart issues, they can only stabilize you & send you on to another. You would think with 100,000 + elderly people they would be equipped to do these kind of things since that's one of the things that happen to people when they get older. Guess if TV hospital was as great as some people think the state medical board would make TV hospital one of the best in Florida!
Old 06-13-2017, 07:39 AM

With respect to all of the posters who to their good fortune have not been exposed to this ER and whose typical response is " if you don't like it go elsewhere ", I suspect you are elderly, or getting there, just like the rest of us who do not enjoy good health. Your turn is coming, just give it a couple of years ! Then we await your reaction to callous medical staffers who really do not care that much about you since you are approaching the end of your days anyway.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, hospital, hours, waiting, residents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.