ER at The Villages Hospital

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2017, 09:47 AM
Eternal Member

When I was 11, 1952, I was at a hospital in Michigan and had my tonsils out. My bed was in the hallway for about 2 hours after surgery because there were no rooms.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
I worked in a very good large hospital in Michigan. These stories are the same every where. I have several friends who work in hospitals and these same stories are told.
I agree. This is happening right here in The Villages. AND it is happening all over the country. Just type in any combination of these words into your browser;

Long Emergency room wait.

Left to suffer in ER

Complaints about Emergency Room in...............(fill in the area, hospital or city)

Had to wait for six hours in Emergency room.

My wife allowed to suffer in E.R.

Personally I think it is possibly worse here because many people do NOT have their own physicians to consult because of not being full time. Things then become serious and painful and acute and dangerous.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Sage
Default ER at The Villages Hospital

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I agree. This is happening right here in The Villages. AND it is happening all over the country. Just type in any combination of these words into your browser;

Long Emergency room wait.

Left to suffer in ER

Complaints about Emergency Room in...............(fill in the area, hospital or city)

Had to wait for six hours in Emergency room.

My wife allowed to suffer in E.R.

Personally I think it is possibly worse here because many people do NOT have their own physicians to consult because of not being full time. Things then become serious and painful and acute and dangerous.

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but the issues in the ER go beyond long waits.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-04-2017, 10:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Maybe a committee should be formed to approach the hospital officials with their complaints and concerns. NOT much will happen without some action. Doesn't seem beneficial to come on social media sites and complain.

Addendum to the above: I was just reading a letter to the editor of my home-town newspaper in the midwest. It could have been written by many on this site (only insert the names where applied). The writer tells of her elderly dad who went to the ER (a Mayo sattelite hospital) and was there for 10 hrs before treatment. It's a long story of ambulance rides, transfers to other Mayo facilities then back to the nursing home over days/weeks. It was a sad commentary that probably is happening all over our country and not just here in The Villages! People continually say..."I won't go to TVRH but will go instead to ___insert hospital's name____". Then you hear a story from someone or several someone's whose experiences in those hospitals are equally not positive. My point is...medical care is changing very rapidly! What we remember from "back home" probably isn't like that anymore. But still what I stated in my original 2 sentences might be an option for us here.
A great idea to form a committee! I will volunteer with you.

I will send you a pm with my information.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but the issues in the ER go beyond long waits.

Not sure what other issues. I have been in the ER quite a few times and have had good care. A few by ambulance and a couple of walk ins.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonny View Post
Not sure what other issues. I have been in the ER quite a few times and have had good care. A few by ambulance and a couple of walk ins.

For those who may want to review a fairly exhaustive list of the issues that Golfing Eagles and I have discussed on this thread, please feel free to note the following posts:
Post 83
Post 81
Post 53
Post 51
Post 40
Post 39
Post 37
Post 35
Post 31
Post 17
These do not, I believe contain posts by anyone other that GE, or me. I did this because I don't know the backgrounds of any other posters. GE is a physician and has worked in ERs and I ran hospitals for more than 40 years. I believe we are qualified to discuss our observations.

If GE disagrees with me, I am sure he will correct me.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:32 AM
fw102807

Could you rather just start a new thread with a summation and maybe some suggestions if there are things we can do to get this addressed? Health care is definitely important to all of us I am sure.
Old 07-04-2017, 12:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
Could you rather just start a new thread with a summation and maybe some suggestions if there are things we can do to get this addressed? Health care is definitely important to all of us I am sure.

The posts I've listed accomplish the same thing as a summary.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:16 PM
Sage

By the way, there was a letter to the editor, in the unnamed online news, today from a cardiac nurse. You might want to read it.

Old 07-04-2017, 12:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
For those who may want to review a fairly exhaustive list of the issues that Golfing Eagles and I have discussed on this thread, please feel free to note the following posts:
Post 83
Post 81
Post 53
Post 51
Post 40
Post 39
Post 37
Post 35
Post 31
Post 17
These do not, I believe contain posts by anyone other that GE, or me. I did this because I don't know the backgrounds of any other posters. GE is a physician and has worked in ERs and I ran hospitals for more than 40 years. I believe we are qualified to discuss our observations.

If GE disagrees with me, I am sure he will correct me.
I think we have agreed 100% on everything in this thread, no need to change now
Old 07-04-2017, 01:55 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
By the way, there was a letter to the editor, in the unnamed online news, today from a cardiac nurse. You might want to read it.

That letter says a lot. Thanks for pointing it out!!
Old 07-05-2017, 07:43 AM

FYI, the villages is right in the middle of a rapidly growing area and will soon have a population that is way bigger than health care places such as the urgent care and/or the ER. It has been said many times before the Villages will very soon over build the complete infrastructure. This seems to always happen to fast growing areas; the planners never plan for super necessary things....they plan for nicessities like golf courses and swimming pools, etc.....you folks that say there is room for all in the Villages will one day regret saying that when we merge with Orlando and Jacksonville. What we need is an elected planning and zoning committee like all larger cities....NOT the Morse family......who are the 15th riches people in the USA. Your right that all things that cost money and has to have a good medical facility for a community of 55 Year old plus folks is a necessity for all. Sorry for the misspelling…..
Old 07-05-2017, 07:56 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blyarbrough View Post
FYI, the villages is right in the middle of a rapidly growing area and will soon have a population that is way bigger than health care places such as the urgent care and/or the ER. It has been said many times before the Villages will very soon over build the complete infrastructure. This seems to always happen to fast growing areas; the planners never plan for super necessary things....they plan for nicessities like golf courses and swimming pools, etc.....you folks that say there is room for all in the Villages will one day regret saying that when we merge with Orlando and Jacksonville. What we need is an elected planning and zoning committee like all larger cities....NOT the Morse family......who are the 15th riches people in the USA. Your right that all things that cost money and has to have a good medical facility for a community of 55 Year old plus folks is a necessity for all. Sorry for the misspelling…..
Not sure where you got your information about the wealth of the Morse family being the 15th richest.
I just went on Forbes. The Morse name was nowhere on the top 100 richest people. The Morse name also was not anywhere on the list of the 20 richest families.
Old 07-05-2017, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blyarbrough View Post

"What we need is an elected planning and zoning committee like all larger cities"

Which city's "elected planning board" would you like TV to emulate----Detroit or Baltimore??? Yeah, right, lets elect a bunch of amateurs, wannabees and busybodies rather than a family with 40 years experience of financial and developmental success to plan our future. I don't want people who have not been successful in life to run things----there is a reason that they lacked success in the first place

As far as TVRH goes, people seen to think this is the only place in the country with healthcare problems. I have found it is the norm, rather than the exception. If you look at the waiting times as well as the scores for CHF, MI and pneumonitis, TVRH is right about the national average. What you find on TOTV is a bunch of anecdotes where posters want to tell their individual "horror story", as they remember it. I wish they would take 5 of these and do a root cause analysis to find the real story. I would especially like to do one on the story of the 90 year old woman with a hip fracture who supposedly laid on a stretcher without being seen and without pain meds for 22 hours. I want to see the time she arrived, was triaged, was seen by nurse, doctor, had pain medication, had lab and xray ordered, when the results were received, when orthopedics saw her and when she went to the OR, all with documented times. I'm pretty well convinced that the truth would be quite different. And IF, and it's a huge if, probably an insurmountable one, the story was the same as related on TOTV, then I don't think it would have been posted here. That individual would be camped out in their lawyer's office, because it would be an open and shut case of malpractice, with a substantial pain and suffering award despite the patient's age. In addition, that treatment would be so far below the standard of care that it is likely millions of dollars in punitive damages would be awarded as well.
I can't tell you how many times a family member would come to the ER desk and ask what is happening with their relative----"I've been waiting 4 hours and haven't heard anything". I'd pick up the chart and inform them that they arrived in the ER 47 minutes ago, and already had an IV, lab drawn, x rays performed and their doctor informed they were here. I would then be called a liar---"I know we've been here 4 hours". My only response was "Use a clock much????"
Old 07-05-2017, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post

"What we need is an elected planning and zoning committee like all larger cities"

Which city's "elected planning board" would you like TV to emulate----Detroit or Baltimore??? Yeah, right, lets elect a bunch of amateurs, wannabees and busybodies rather than a family with 40 years experience of financial and developmental success to plan our future. I don't want people who have not been successful in life to run things----there is a reason that they lacked success in the first place

As far as TVRH goes, people seen to think this is the only place in the country with healthcare problems. I have found it is the norm, rather than the exception. If you look at the waiting times as well as the scores for CHF, MI and pneumonitis, TVRH is right about the national average. What you find on TOTV is a bunch of anecdotes where posters want to tell their individual "horror story", as they remember it. I wish they would take 5 of these and do a root cause analysis to find the real story. I would especially like to do one on the story of the 90 year old woman with a hip fracture who supposedly laid on a stretcher without being seen and without pain meds for 22 hours. I want to see the time she arrived, was triaged, was seen by nurse, doctor, had pain medication, had lab and xray ordered, when the results were received, when orthopedics saw her and when she went to the OR, all with documented times. I'm pretty well convinced that the truth would be quite different. And IF, and it's a huge if, probably an insurmountable one, the story was the same as related on TOTV, then I don't think it would have been posted here. That individual would be camped out in their lawyer's office, because it would be an open and shut case of malpractice, with a substantial pain and suffering award despite the patient's age. In addition, that treatment would be so far below the standard of care that it is likely millions of dollars in punitive damages would be awarded as well.
I can't tell you how many times a family member would come to the ER desk and ask what is happening with their relative----"I've been waiting 4 hours and haven't heard anything". I'd pick up the chart and inform them that they arrived in the ER 47 minutes ago, and already had an IV, lab drawn, x rays performed and their doctor informed they were here. I would then be called a liar---"I know we've been here 4 hours". My only response was "Use a clock much????"
Hmm... that happened to me at the ER room in Key West. I was there for three hours before they called me in for their "triage," or whatever it was. So three hours later when I still hadn't been seen and went to inquire, they said No, you've only been here three hours according to your chart. Of course, they based their time on the triage time, not the time I signed in. Another three hours and I kicked up a fuss. So all told, I was there for 9 hours before they informed me there was no one there to run the diagnostic I needed.

So it depends on whose clock you're using. And I wouldn't have put up with such a smart-ass response. These folks are in stressful situations.

Tags
villages, hospital, hours, waiting, residents

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.