Essential Oils

Closed Thread
Old 09-22-2018, 10:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts
Default Essential Oils

I am posting medical and health, because I think it as beneficial to health.

We have started using essential oil‘s in our home, with diffusers. At first I thought OK it makes the house smell pretty, but not a inexpensive way to achieve.

I’m finding I breathe easier, I sleep better, I wake up refreshed. Sometimes I use a blend that helps with my arthritis.

I was just wondering if anybody else has tried this natural way of using essential oils into your life.

We have been purchasing ours from Amazon prime of course, and our blends are custom from a close friend. YoungLiving is a Prominent brand and can buy either through their website or a together.

If you do use them do you go to somewhere local or are you buying online. Do you find the same results as we are?
Old 09-22-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post

We have started using essential oil‘s in our home, with diffusers. At first I thought OK it makes the house smell pretty, but not a inexpensive way to achieve.

I’m finding I breathe easier, I sleep better, I wake up refreshed. Sometimes I use a blend that helps with my arthritis.

I was just wondering if anybody else has tried this natural way of using essential oils into your life.

We have been purchasing ours from Amazon prime of course, and our blends are custom from a close friend. YoungLiving is a Prominent brand and can buy either through their website or a together.

If you do use them do you go to somewhere local or are you buying online. Do you find the same results as we are?
More and more people are becoming aware of the benefits of using essential oils. I use aromatherapy in some of my massages.

A good local source is Amethyst 'Aromatherapy located at 5029 CR 159. Right on SR 44 next to Bob's Zip Mart. They also will blend for you and are offering a class as an Introductory Course in Aroma therapy. Sami Davis is the owner and a very knowledgeable and nice lady to deal with. I have no $$$ interest in her place of business. Just like to give good referrals.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I hope Blueash will come on and give his opinion.

I had no idea that Essential Oils was aroma therapy. I thought you rubbed them on yourself or smoked them.

Aren't they from the Marijuana plant?

I stick with stuff from traditional medicine.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,734 Times in 5,252 Posts

The first thing I thought when reading this thread was that, over time, the oil residue would accumulate in your house on the carpet, furniture, walls, etc. and be impossible to remove.
Old 09-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Veteran member

I use Outback Pain Relief Roll-On (Amazon, ~ $20) for arthritis pain, mainly in my thumbs/wrists but also in my toes and lower back. Active ingredients are tea tree oil and eucalyptus oil, inactive are olive oil and vanilla. I was skeptical that it would work but it does. I wouldn't use it in a restaurant or on a bus because it has a not-unpleasant-but-sort-of-strong scent, but I use it at home. It beats taking OTC pain meds regularly and worrying about liver damage.

thelegges, what do you use in the house that helps you breathe/sleep better?

kathy
Old 09-22-2018, 01:01 PM

I have heard that essential oils are beneficial for humans, but can be bad for your pets. Before you start using them, you might want to cross reference the effect on dogs or cats.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by aninjamom View Post
I have heard that essential oils are beneficial for humans, but can be bad for your pets. Before you start using them, you might want to cross reference the effect on dogs or cats.
I've heard some types of essential oils can be detrimental to pets (not all, but some).
Please check with someone knowledgeable before you use essential oils if you have pets.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:45 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I had no idea that Essential Oils was aroma therapy. I thought you rubbed them on yourself or smoked them.

Aren't they from the Marijuana plant?

I’m certainly no expert on essential oils. But yes, it is aroma therapy. And no, they are not from the Marijuana plant. (Although I understand that one can get medicinal oils made from it that are supposedly highly effective pain relievers, among other benefits.) I know even less about this but if not at a doctor's appointment I plan on attending a medical marijuana meeting on November 12 at the American Legion on 466 and Rolling Acres Road. Should be interesting, at the very least! And I have tons of questions.

My sister, however, has a great deal of knowledge and experience in the various uses of dozens and dozens of both individual and blends of essential oils. Many years ago she became a Young Living distributor but it really was more of her way of buying her own supply at wholesale prices. And while she sold some product to family and friends, her high managerial position for a major non-profit in New York City left her very little time to be more than a hobbyist – probably wrong word – enthusiast – of essential oils.

She believed so strongly in the therapeutic powers of pure Lavender oil, the cleaning and disinfecting qualities of Lemon and Orange essential oils. And like an ancient healer or Shaman, she would tell you what oil you needed for which ailment, Bergamot, Incense, Rose, etc., etc. She felt so strongly in the efficacy of her wares that many times she would just give away a bottle of whatever it was that she thought you needed.

Occasionally she’d pay for specialty essential oil massages. She swore by them but I never had one, nor do I ever want one. Once we met after one of her massages and I was overwhelmed by the powerful and long-lasting odor. I gagged during our dinner, and I felt very uncomfortable/self conscious as we sat for 2.5 hours in a Broadway Theater. Ahhh, memories.

She believes so strongly and they work for her. Is it a placebo effect? Faith healing? Medicinal properties of essential oils? Each decides for themselves.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:51 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Your post gave me a good excuse to call my sister who knows a lot about this stuff. She said that she recommends putting a few drops of Lavender or Eucalyptus on your pillow (underneath the pillowcase) and then sleep on it. You can also put a few drops in the a/c vents.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMF Doc View Post
More and more people are becoming aware of the benefits of using essential oils. I use aromatherapy in some of my massages.

A good local source is Amethyst 'Aromatherapy located at 5029 CR 159. Right on SR 44 next to Bob's Zip Mart. They also will blend for you and are offering a class as an Introductory Course in Aroma therapy. Sami Davis is the owner and a very knowledgeable and nice lady to deal with. I have no $$$ interest in her place of business. Just like to give good referrals.
Thanks this is the source I am looking for. I do not use any OTC or prescription medication, more than a few physicians have recommended using essential oils.

I have zero pets, so that’s not a worry.

No it not marijuana. Although natural, not the product I am speaking of.

A diffuser holding a liter of water, You will add 1 to 4 drops of a combination, so oil in the air Of a home would literally take more years than most have left. The only room you may pick up the sent is near the diffuser.

The blend I have custom blended for arthritis is in a roller ball application, with a medium, and smell minimal compared something such as tiger balm,and works even better.

Essential Oils are more prominent in millennial generation. So not surprised most have little knowledge. Although my great grandmother used dried herbs, steeping them in water, or an oil, in the 50s (what essential oils are made from)

My favorite sleep oil, is 2 drops lavender, 1 drop chamomile, 1 drop juniper. In one liter of water.

Last edited by thelegges; 09-24-2018 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 07:40 PM
Veteran member

I use to use a diffuser with lavender oil UNTIL kitty started sneezing.

Aromatherapy is NOT good in homes with pets. Check with your vet.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:40 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
My favorite sleep oil, is 2 drops lavender, 1 drop chamomile, 1 drop juniper. In one liter of water.
Thanks.

kathy
Closed Thread

Tags
essential, health, oils, amazon, blends

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.