Eye Implants With Cataracts Surgery

Closed Thread
Old 11-23-2013, 09:26 AM
Sage
Default Eye Implants With Cataracts Surgery

I recently went to Ocala Eye Center and was informed by the doctor, that I will have cataracts in two years. He suggested the surgery, and the corresponding eye implants, that will give me 20/20 vision, forever. I think I would like to have the implants done, so I won't need glasses anymore, as my vision is very important to me..

Has anyone had this procedure done, and what was the results? Who did your surgery and were you satified?

Can anyone tell me of the approximate corresponding cost?

Thanks in advance, for your replies.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 11-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I recently went to Ocala Eye Center and was informed by the doctor, that I will have cataracts in two years. He suggested the surgery, and the corresponding eye implants, that will give me 20/20 vision, forever. I think I would like to have the implants done, so I won't need glasses anymore, as my vision is very important to me..

Has anyone had this procedure done, and what was the results? Who did your surgery and were you satified?

Can anyone tell me of the approximate corresponding cost?

Thanks in advance, for your replies.
Wife and I both 74 yrs old. Had both procedures at Lake Eye(Dr Wherly). Both had worn glasses for more than 50 years. Threw galsses away, now both 20/20+or- a little. Costs for each=$8-10,000. for lenses. Cost dependent on lenses selected
Old 11-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Medicare and your supplement will pick up most or all of that, EXCEPT for the implants that correct your vision. Then they will pick up a portion of your new eyeglasses that you had to get due to the surgery.

There are cataract implants that only correct the cataract. If you want 20/20 vision, where I went it was an additional $1800 for those types of implants.

If you need reading glasses right now, do some research on the bifocular implants. I know three people who had them and were dissatisfied with how they worked in low-light situations such as restaurants and church. Had to still use readinng glasses.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Wife and I both 74 yrs old. Had both procedures at Lake Eye(Dr Wherly). Both had worn glasses for more than 50 years. Threw galsses away, now both 20/20+or- a little. Costs for each=$8-10,000. for lenses. Cost dependent on lenses selected
Is the 8K to 10K with insurance coverage?

Old 11-23-2013, 09:51 AM
Platinum member

I had cataract surgery that replaced the natural gel lens with corrective lenses in 2008. I did it as elective surgery because I was tired of wearing contacts, and the doctor said at age 58 it would not be cost effective to get lasik because soon enough it would be tme for cataract surgery..

I don't remember the price, but if your doctor is saying it's medically necessary, a lot of that should be covered by insurance. It was the best thing I ever did! Wore contacts for 30 years. They told me I could choose two of three types of vision to correct, and the third I may need glasses for (or I could work on it myself to train my eyes to adjust).

The types of vision were distance/driving, reading, and 18-inch for computers. I chose distance and reading, and I have perfect vision for those. For computers, it depends how far away the screen is - sometimes I need glasses. I highly recommend it!

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 11-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Medicare and your supplement will pick up most or all of that, EXCEPT for the implants that correct your vision. Then they will pick up a portion of your new eyeglasses that you had to get due to the surgery.

There are cataract implants that only correct the cataract. If you want 20/20 vision, where I went it was an additional $1800 for those types of implants.

If you need reading glasses right now, do some research on the bifocular implants. I know three people who had them and were dissatisfied with how they worked in low-light situations such as restaurants and church. Had to still use readinng glasses.
Thank you so very much, for this info.

That's not bad for perfect vision going froward as my family has a macular degeneration history. I will need to ask, as this will factor into the decision. It it will prevent macular degeneration, it will be well worth the cost.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:08 AM
Gold member

I think you should get a couple more opinions from other ophthalmologists. I have had conventional (non-corrective, I guess) lenses implanted years ago, but still wear glasses to correct for the astigmatism. I am happy with that choice. However, the real point of my message is that I think you are being pressured by a surgeon who just wants more business. Most surgeons would suggest that you wait until the cataracts start to noticeable impair your vision.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

"That's not bad for perfect vision going froward as my family has a macular degeneration history. I will need to ask, as this will factor into the decision. It it will prevent macular degeneration, it will be well worth the cost"

It will not prevent macular degeneration and I doubt the eye doctor or anyone here suggested it might. Macular degeneration is a deterioration of the retina, in the back of the eye where the light is translated into electrical impulses that go to the brain. Think of it as the film in the back of your camera.
A cataract is like having built up dirt on the lens of the camera (if the lens were inside the camera not on the exterior). The exterior of your eye, the cornea is just supposed to be a clear tissue through which light passes before being focused by the lens. A bit oversimplified but...
Now no matter how wonderful your lens and focus may be, if the film in the back of your camera doesn't work, you get no picture. Be sure your eye doctor is aware of your family history, (s)he may have some suggestions to reduce your risk.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

I worked for an ophthalmologist up North. I have had the cataract surgery with intraocular implants. Since it was medically necessary my insurance paid for it. Medicare also paid foe patients in our office and I do not recall them paying a large amount of money. My doctor did not suggest the bifocal lenses as many patients were dissatisfied with them and they are not something to go in and have them removed. I see 20/20 however I do need to use over the counter reading glasse like a +2.00
Old 11-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
I think you should get a couple more opinions from other ophthalmologists. I have had conventional (non-corrective, I guess) lenses implanted years ago, but still wear glasses to correct for the astigmatism. I am happy with that choice. However, the real point of my message is that I think you are being pressured by a surgeon who just wants more business. Most surgeons would suggest that you wait until the cataracts start to noticeable impair your vision.
I agree with Buzzy. My first cataract was discovered end of 2009. the doctor said to wait. I kept it monitored until I could go on Medicare, which was 2012. By that time the cataract in the second eye was there.

the doctor did not want to operate until the cataracts were advanced to a certain point. Apparently doing the surgery too soon had some minuses, but I don't know what. And I wanted to wait until I got on Medicare.

And Medicare would ONLY pay for the replacement of the lens to restore clear vision--NOT to improve to 20/20 or implant bifocular lenses. That is considered cosmetic and not covered.

Before Medicare, the cost per eye to me would have been $4000. I had a poor Blue Cross health plan due to pre-existing condition, and I would have footed the bill for one eye plus part of the second. Under Medicare, my cost was nothing.

Maybe you are just asking ahead, and your doctor doesn't want to operate now. If he does, I would get a second opinion.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:11 PM
Veteran member
Location: Wheatfield, NY - next to Niagara Falls; Village of St. James
Default Crystalens Multi-focal implants

I had the multi-focus lens implants done a few years ago. I love them. I no longer need glasses for distance or close. I can read the phone book and have good distance vision as well. No glasses needed. I had the Crystalens implants. The surgery was done up north so I don't know prices in TV area. However, it was worth every penny since no glasses are needed.......and before I had the surgery, I needed glasses for both distance and close.

Medicare did pay a little towards the implants but I was responsible for most of the cost of the multi-focal lens.

I've had several friends who have had multi-focal lens implants recently and everyone is happy.

I've also noticed with some of the older implants, there is a "glare" when you look at the person's eyes. I haven't noticed this with my friends who had the Crystalens multi-focal implants.

(My name is Karen)
Old 11-23-2013, 07:37 PM
Veteran member

I had implants in both eyes this summer (one just a week before we came to the Villages and put down our contract for our new home).

I still need to wear trifocals, mostly because I have prism lenses to correct for double vision that cannot be corrected with implants.

Still needed to have the surgery and everything is much brighter now.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:50 PM
Platinum member

My optometrist said (in June 2013) that I was probably about 6 mos to 1 year away from needing surgery.
It is a very confusing process, especially with the many types of IOLs and the coverage/non-coverage issues with Medicare and insurance.
I would highly recommend you read "So You've Got A Cataract?: What You Need to Know About Cataract Surgery: A Patient's Guide to Modern Eye Surgery, Advanced Intraocular Lenses & Choosing Your Surgeon" by Dr David Richardson [also available in a Kindle Edition for easy reading and less than $5].
It will answer a lot of your questions and enable you to know enough to ask the right questions of your surgeon.
So far, the only recommendation I got from a relative who recently had the surgery, was that he loved his Crystalens. No glare, no halos, no need for glasses. His was done in Michigan and he was about $5000 out-of-pocket for the surgery on both eyes.
Good luck.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 12-17-2013, 01:58 PM

I went to get new glasses in September and the doctor told me it was time to deal with my cataracts. I went to Dr Ireland at St. Lukes at Lake Sumter Landing. I now have 20/20 vision but need 1.5x reading glasses (needed 2.75 before). When the first eye was done the difference between my eyes was incredible - the eye with the cataract was like looking through a dirty sunglass lens. I did my research and decided to go with a standard lens with no correction for reading - I was told it is with the graduated lens that most problems seem to occur. I have no supplemental insurance and was presented with a detailed price list up front explaining what Medicare would pay and what I would have to pay. Total cost at the clinic was $850 for both eyes. Plus I had to pay $350 for the eye drops - I was told it would be $350 for each eye but there was enough for both eyes.

If you opt for Laser surgery Medicare will not pay. As I understand it Laser surgery is used to reshape the eye to correct vision problems. If Laser surgery is used instead of the knife to make the incision to insert the new lens then Medicare will not pay - so don't get Laser surgery if it is not needed.

As for the operation itself - all I remember is looking into a bright light for a few minutes - no other sensations and five minutes later I could see like I could 30 years ago -amazing.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:23 PM

I, too, agree with Buzzy. I cannot believe a dr. can "predict" cataracts in 2 years; you have them or you don't and reputable ophthalmologists would not recommend surgery until necessary. I would also suggest a second opinion.
I also paid $5000 out of pocket for lenses as I did not want the standard lenses because I would still have to wear glasses. It's a personal preference. I know others who got the standard lenses and don't require glasses any more. Your doctor can advise you.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.