Does this seem right? Trying new dentist

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2021, 03:56 PM
Default Does this seem right? Trying new dentist

Had my last teeth cleaning last December, after years of just normal cleanings it was recommended I see a periodontist. This dental office in Fruitland Park has a nice dentist and staff, but maybe not the advanced cleaning apparatus such as the ultrasonic unit. Anyway, because of not yet having my Covid vaccination, I put this off. Got vaccinated in April, then went on a 3 month camping trip.

Upon return, in late July I made an appointment at Dental on Fennell, because as a new modern office they seemed to have the latest equipment. Could not get in until Oct 12 for an initial appointment and cleaning.

I was there at least 1.5 hours getting panorama, multiple small xrays, some fancy camera views of every tooth. Finally the probing for gum depth. I heard mostly level 2,3 and a few 5’s in the molar areas. Dentist comes in, tells me my teeth are grinding and we could use Invisaline to correct them (big money), there are two small fillings he could fix, one on a far back molar that’s been there since the 1980’s. And of course, I need the deep cleaning and scaling to the tune of $1000, which my insurance doesn’t cover.

So, I end up leaving the office with NO cleaning, they will check again with insurance, as will I.

But it seems like I am being held hostage…..no teeth cleaning unless it is the deep cleaning first. I was not happy to say the least. Anyone know a dentist that will just do a cleaning, or is the insurance going to require the deep cleaning now that this dentist has recommended it?
Old 10-13-2021, 04:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,745 Times in 5,255 Posts

I use Dr. Lunsford in Leesburg. I first went to a Villages dentist where they wanted $6,000 for deep cleaning and three crowns. That was 4 years ago and I still have not needed a deep cleaning and only one crown. Deep cleaning seems to be a typical upsell in The Villages. I don't have dental insurance.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:18 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Move on. Too much sales pressure is a red flag. Common in corporate dental locations . They have financial quotas

Deep cleaning should run 850 if you have bleeding gums or a lot of 4 plus depth. Dental plans.com has price list you should be paying with a discount plan. You don’t want to buy dental insurance

Watch teethtalkgirl on YouTube. Hygienist gives you the real information you need. Also northtexas dental channel. Huge cavity? Filling? Crown? Root canal? Implant? How much will it cost? - YouTube

Last edited by Babubhat; 10-13-2021 at 04:24 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Angry A Deep Cleaning vs. a Regular Cleaning?

A deep cleaning . . . Think about that.

I am sure most of those of you who are reading this post have had at least one deep cleaning, right? Well, even if not, here's my take on it.

Yes, I have had both. And I have to tell you that I don't find much difference in what they are calling a "deep" cleaning and a regular cleaning. Frankly, I think this deep cleaning nonsense is simply a way for dentists to gouge us even more
So in my lifetime . . . just a regular cleaning please! My parents survived with their own teeth without a deep cleaning.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:41 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Price seems high. Cavity probably should be replaced due to its age.
Old 10-13-2021, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,052 Times in 5,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yucatan2 View Post
Had my last teeth cleaning last December, after years of just normal cleanings it was recommended I see a periodontist. This dental office in Fruitland Park has a nice dentist and staff, but maybe not the advanced cleaning apparatus such as the ultrasonic unit. Anyway, because of not yet having my Covid vaccination, I put this off. Got vaccinated in April, then went on a 3 month camping trip.

Upon return, in late July I made an appointment at Dental on Fennell, because as a new modern office they seemed to have the latest equipment. Could not get in until Oct 12 for an initial appointment and cleaning.

I was there at least 1.5 hours getting panorama, multiple small xrays, some fancy camera views of every tooth. Finally the probing for gum depth. I heard mostly level 2,3 and a few 5’s in the molar areas. Dentist comes in, tells me my teeth are grinding and we could use Invisaline to correct them (big money), there are two small fillings he could fix, one on a far back molar that’s been there since the 1980’s. And of course, I need the deep cleaning and scaling to the tune of $1000, which my insurance doesn’t cover.

So, I end up leaving the office with NO cleaning, they will check again with insurance, as will I.

But it seems like I am being held hostage…..no teeth cleaning unless it is the deep cleaning first. I was not happy to say the least. Anyone know a dentist that will just do a cleaning, or is the insurance going to require the deep cleaning now that this dentist has recommended it?
Run Forrest Run
Old 10-14-2021, 04:55 AM

Interesting, I get ultrasonic cleanings twice a year as part of my regular cleaning. Now I do have insurance through husbands employer which pays well but when I get in the chair I simply request the “power washer” because I can’t stand all that scraping. I’ve never paid any extra for it.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yucatan2 View Post

I would go back to the original dentist you were using in Fruitland park if they will take you back. We all got our teeth cleaned thirty years ago without all the fancy shmancy equipment and they were fine.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:01 AM

I had a deep cleaning done, my insurance did cover it, but imo a deep cleaning here in Florida is a normal cleaning back in CT. I couldn’t tell the difference. Maybe deep cleaning is something new in the last few years or so. Check your insurance if you have any, mine was covered as long as the dentist used the right codes.
Old 10-14-2021, 05:01 AM

DO NOT get any dental work done at the FANCY smooth talking dental facility in Colony! I went in to get a normal cleaning...my teeth have always looked good and I've taken care of them. They took several pictures of my whole mouth, each tooth, x-rays, etc. After 3 HOURS of telling me how bad it was...and a $15,000 estimate...I RAN OUT OF THE PLACE!!! I went to another dentist the next day and he cleaned my teeth...with no issues!!!! He said NOTHING was wrong with my teeth and my cleaning was easy!!!

There are dentist in this area that are looking to rip off older people that don't go receive second and third opinions on major dental work! If someone tells you that you need more than a cleaning you should get a second and possibly third opinion from dentists that are highly recommended !!!!
Old 10-14-2021, 05:39 AM
Platinum member
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 1776 View Post
DO NOT get any dental work done at the FANCY smooth talking dental facility in Colony! I went in to get a normal cleaning...my teeth have always looked good and I've taken care of them. They took several pictures of my whole mouth, each tooth, x-rays, etc. After 3 HOURS of telling me how bad it was...and a $15,000 estimate...I RAN OUT OF THE PLACE!!! I went to another dentist the next day and he cleaned my teeth...with no issues!!!! He said NOTHING was wrong with my teeth and my cleaning was easy!!!

There are dentist in this area that are looking to rip off older people that don't go receive second and third opinions on major dental work! If someone tells you that you need more than a cleaning you should get a second and possibly third opinion from dentists that are highly recommended !!!!
As previously stated... RUN FORREST RUN...
Old 10-14-2021, 06:09 AM
Default Dental mark-ups (yikes!)

I have been to those “smooth talking dental facilities” around here. I do need some work done, for sure, on my teeth, but when I asked for an estimate, I was shocked. I don’t have insurance, BTW. One of the offices presented me with a written estimate of $22,000! I was speechless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgun 1776 View Post

Old 10-14-2021, 06:19 AM

I go to Lake Miona Dental office on 466 in Oxford - next to the Walmart. They do the sonic cleaning and then hand cleaning. They have not tried to scam me and feel they are equal to the dentist I see in Illinois. The 5's are a definite concern so be sure you pay extra attention to those teeth with dental floss and you can improve the number. They have the equipment to do the laser periodontal treatment if needed. Not sure what insurance you have so call first to be sure any dental office you chose take it. I don't think it will matter about the deep cleaning inquiry going forward. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2021, 06:23 AM

Sounds, as if you need a second opinion perhaps a third
It’s a shame, we seniors, are taken advantage of
You should list the dentist and the office to see if others have had similar experiences
Old 10-14-2021, 06:29 AM

Welcome to Florida - I call the device they use to show you on a screen in inside of your mouthTHE REVENUE ROD!! They are up selling you - you are WARNED!!
Closed Thread

Tags
cleaning, dentist, teeth, insurance, office

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.