FEHB News

Closed Thread
Old 08-20-2014, 01:47 PM
Default FEHB News

I am a still employed Federal worker and just got a work e-mail from OPM and thought I would pass it on to TV retired Federal workers.

Beginning open season starting 11/9/15 Federal Workers will be able to opt for self plus 1 enrollment instead of having to choose the family option to cover one eligible family member. Change will take effect 1/1/16.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:01 PM

It's about time!
Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I am a still employed Federal worker and just got a work e-mail from OPM and thought I would pass it on to TV retired Federal workers.

Beginning open season starting 11/9/15 Federal Workers will be able to opt for self plus 1 enrollment instead of having to choose the family option to cover one eligible family member. Change will take effect 1/1/16.

Thanks for the info. Do you know if this change affects Federal retirees as well?
Old 08-21-2014, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naneiben View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you know if this change affects Federal retirees as well?
I would think as long as a retiree has been paying their premiums and were enrolled for 5 years prior to retirement their ability to make option changes to plans should be no different than when working.

This is the best news we Feds have gotten in a long time
Old 08-21-2014, 06:22 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Yes. It does. Has been in the works for a couple of years with the various fed employee groups working to get this for a very long time.
Old 08-21-2014, 06:49 AM
Platinum member

I went on OPM and FEHB sites yesterday. Still nothing on there about this. At least, I couldn't find anything.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
I went on OPM and FEHB sites yesterday. Still nothing on there about this. At least, I couldn't find anything.
It doesn't go into effect until next year. I'm sure that it will be posted with the normal open season stuff.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:30 PM

If it helps here is a copy of the letter I received from OPM.

Subject: Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program: Self Plus One Enrollment

Purpose

The purpose of this letter is to notify you that the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) will be implementing a new enrollment type, Self Plus One, under the Federal Employees Health Benefits (FEHB) Program. This letter also outlines agency responsibilities for the implementation of the Self Plus One enrollment type.

The effective date for the new Self Plus One enrollment type will be January 1, 2016. Therefore, the annual Open Season beginning on November 9, 2015 will include the Self Plus One enrollment type in the available enrollment choices.

Background

Section 706 of the Bipartisan Budget Act of 2013 amends Section 8905 of title 5, United States Code, to add a Self Plus One enrollment type to the FEHB Program. The Self Plus One enrollment type will cover the enrollee and one eligible family member.

We will be updating our materials including the Standard Form 2809, the FEHB Handbook, the Guide to Federal Benefits, and our website. The FEHB Program regulations will also be updated. The FEHB carriers are taking action to have Self Plus One implemented by September 1, 2015.

We will provide more information as it becomes available.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:01 PM
Veteran member

Thanks! NARFE usually sends out this sort of info ASAP, but with the national convention, most of their staff is probably en route to Orlando.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.