Primary Care Recommendations Needed

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2015, 09:06 AM
Default Primary Care Recommendations Needed

We are excited to finally be moving to The Villages and are driving down right now. Sadly, we have some health conditions that need immediate attention.

I would like a recommendation for a primary care physician preferably in the Colony Plaza or Pinellas Plaza location but most important thing is to find the right doctor. Looking for someone who is compassionate with good bedside manner and thorough.

If I can find a doctor that is taking new patients, I'm going to try to make an appointment for as soon as possible as I am having some issues. I've heard some mixed feedback on the hospital situation. If I can't get a doctors appointment asap, I may need to go to an emergency room. If I do, which hospital should I drive to?

I appreciate recommendations. somehow this doesn't seem as daunting since I will finally be in the Villages!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:25 AM

Dr. Cloukey in Pinellas Plaza is all of the above, knowledgeable, compassionate and a great bedside manner. Problem being I had to wait two months for a new appointment only because I was a new patient. What type of issues are you having?

Last edited by gomsiepop; 04-16-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:00 AM

Severe lower back pain and spasms and trouble walking. Not sure if it's due to the recent moving activity, as I took it pretty easy, but who knows? I just tried to make an appointment with Dr Helene but she is full for new patients. They are going to call me back to set up something with another doctor there. I will try to call your recommendation as well. In the meantime, I'm thinking possibly urgent care. They recommended two in Sumter landing behind Winn Dixie.

It seems every time a recommendation is made here on TOTV, the doctor gets filled up pretty quickly. Lol
Old 04-15-2015, 10:37 AM

We have experience with Laura Cloukey at Pinellas and Stephen Long at Colony. Both are exceptional. Our experience with The Villages Health Care is also good, however, the new patient enrollment process did seem to move at a snails pace. Granted that was a couple years ago, but since you have ongoing issues, it couldn't hurt to contact them now to get things started and not wait until you arrive.
Old 04-15-2015, 10:52 AM

Well I just got a call back from village health and because my insurance is from another state currently and I have a primary care doctor listed from there, so they won't even set me up for out-of-network appointment. So I can't call them back until I get everything situated for Florida coverage, unfortunately. I have an appointment to do that on Friday. So out of network urgent care looks like the only option for me for now.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
Well I just got a call back from village health and because my insurance is from another state currently and I have a primary care doctor listed from there, so they won't even set me up for out-of-network appointment. So I can't call them back until I get everything situated for Florida coverage, unfortunately. I have an appointment to do that on Friday. So out of network urgent care looks like the only option for me for now.
Cassie there is an excellent urgent care center at the Villages Hospital. I was just there this week for my own medical condition. They have access to medical tests just like the hospital does. I was in and out in less than an hour. Possibly you could walk in there and get the care you need. I also PM'd you earlier about my own doctor.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:36 PM
Eternal Member

I think the Villages Health Care system is wonderful.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:40 PM

Bonnie, Is the Villages healthcare system the doctors offices located in Pinellas or is that the actual hospital in the villages?
Old 04-15-2015, 01:44 PM

My doctor sees cash patients and he is amazing. Dr. Martinez-Cruz. Depending on your insurance he might be able to see you after you get it all settled too. 352-750-6650. he's near the villages hospital
Old 04-15-2015, 01:45 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieInVa View Post
Bonnie, Is the Villages healthcare system the doctors offices located in Pinellas or is that the actual hospital in the villages?
There are a few health care offices. Yes, there is one in Pinellas. I go to the Santa Barbara office which is by the hospital.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Sage

I go to Dr. Felix Agbo located in LSL, 352.753.2224 and affiliated with TV hospital. I never had a problem with appointments even when being new and I believe he takes new patients.

Thorough and a very smart doctor. Very happy with his level of care.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 04-15-2015, 09:01 PM

Thanks everyone for the recommendations!
Old 04-15-2015, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

If you are looking at Pinellas or Colony I assume you are below 466A? The Villages Hospital is at the other end. If you are in the southern 40 the Leesburg Hospital is closer than The Villages. Insurance is a big deal in The Villages Health System, when I finally relented and changed I got an appointment within a week. My wife also had United Healthcare but a different plan which they would accept but she couldn't get in for 3 months. When I changed to the preferred plan, she got a call and since she was the spouse of someone in their preferred plan, they could see her Tuesday. Having said all that, so far, I have been satisfied with both the system and the coverage. Although I am not a fan of AARP.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-17-2015, 10:51 AM

CassieInVA, I sent you a PM; did you get it?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.