Fire Ant Bites

Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2012, 10:59 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts
Default Fire Ant Bites

Picked up the hose to water plants and got a couple fire ant bites on my hand. Three days later they look like blisters. Should I bust them with a needle? They have pretty much quit itching but look ugly. You want to look out for them rascals.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:01 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Do NOT burst them! You burst them and (1) odds are you'll get an infection and (2) takes three times as long to heal. Thus speaks the voice of experience.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Picked up the hose to water plants and got a couple fire ant bites on my hand. Three days later they look like blisters. Should I bust them with a needle? They have pretty much quit itching but look ugly. You want to look out for them rascals.
Curious. Black or red fire ants? My black fire ant bites were much worse than the red fire ant ones.

I agree with Red do not burst the blisters. They take weeks to heal if you do.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:44 AM
Sage

The ants were black which surprised me because I was under the impression that all fire ants were little red ones! Although my yard guy is suppose to take care of fire ants, I went to Ace and took care of these myself. Gone! But I got a couple of ugly blisters that look bigger than yesterday. I put cortaid on them----maybe wrong thing?
Old 10-03-2012, 11:49 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
The ants were black which surprised me because I was under the impression that all fire ants were little red ones! Although my yard guy is suppose to take care of fire ants, I went to Ace and took care of these myself. Gone! But I got a couple of ugly blisters that look bigger than yesterday. I put cortaid on them----maybe wrong thing?
You're doing the right thing. Keep treating with topical hydrocortisone and you may want to add an oral antihistamine like zyrtec or claritin, both of which are available as generics.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Sage

If you put Abreva on the bite within a day, you can avoid the blister and lots of itching etc. You can find it in a very very small tube and any pharmacy and it it very expensive, but works as a wonder cure for lots of skin problems, stings, bites and it WORKS. You only need a tiny little bit for most things. The tube I have is 2 Grams or .07oz and it cost about $20.00 I mean small, this tube is about the size of a half a cigarette.

Without a fire ant process takes about 2 weeks for me.

After the abriva discovery, for me it takes just a few days and all symptoms are gone.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:38 PM

My Experience was the opposite... I did not pop the first ones on my feet and it took weeks to heal, I did pop the ones on my hands put an antibiotic on and they were gone in 2 days.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I feel for you. Hydrocortizone, and Sarnay for itching. The Sarnay is great.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM

advice from a friend of mine (Miama' raised) told me long time ago to use amonia on the red ant bites and I have using it since! At 1st bite apply amonia on on a paper towel and blottch the area bitten and it will prevent the blistering and get rid of the itching. You may have to apply several times depending on the severity of the bites but take my word for it, it DOES work and it is very cheep!! Hope this helps you all!

Is it 5 o'clock yet?????
Old 10-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfingnut View Post
If you put Abreva on the bite within a day, you can avoid the blister and lots of itching etc. You can find it in a very very small tube and any pharmacy and it it very expensive, but works as a wonder cure for lots of skin problems, stings, bites and it WORKS. You only need a tiny little bit for most things. The tube I have is 2 Grams or .07oz and it cost about $20.00 I mean small, this tube is about the size of a half a cigarette.

Without a fire ant process takes about 2 weeks for me.

After the abriva discovery, for me it takes just a few days and all symptoms are gone.
This is not a home remedy and it works better than anything I have used.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:38 PM
Sage
Default Pop the blister or not

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysbabe View Post
My Experience was the opposite... I did not pop the first ones on my feet and it took weeks to heal, I did pop the ones on my hands put an antibiotic on and they were gone in 2 days.
Keysbabe: To pop the blisters or not---seems to be the question. I'm getting mixed signals? Maybe flip a coin, huh?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Keysbabe: To pop the blisters or not---seems to be the question. I'm getting mixed signals? Maybe flip a coin, huh?
I've always popped my blisters and then put rubbing alcohol on them for a couple of days. They eventually disappear but at least I don't have the initial discomfort of having the blisters. i'm getting over some chigger bites now.
Might as well flip that coin!
In reality, they're different!
Old 10-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJohn View Post
I've always popped my blisters and then put rubbing alcohol on them for a couple of days. They eventually disappear but at least I don't have the initial discomfort of having the blisters. i'm getting over some chigger bites now.
Might as well flip that coin!
I got bit by about 10 black fire ants almost two weeks ago. These were in between my toes. I popped all the pimples I could reach the second day of the ordeal. Some of these I could not reach.

I still have one bubble in a place that is hard to get two fingers to and it still looks like it did 9 days ago.

Most of the other bites are healed.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:53 AM
Sage

Thanks everybody for your comments and advise. Pop rascals this morning.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:40 PM

There is a commercial product called "after bite" available at Publix and Walgreens which is like a pen that dispenses ammonia. Works on any kind of bite. Great product to keep handy.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.