Fire ant bites or stings

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,508 Times in 1,908 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Oh so glad to hear he survived alright. I am glad you fixed the yard to protect him.

About seven years ago I was messing around out in the yard in Ohio and saw some bee-like critters going into a hole in the ground, so I decided to stick the garden hose down the hole and "get rid of them". Wrong.

A trillion or two hornets or yellow jackets came after me and started biting and I ran in the front door and they were on my clothes so I shed them and threw them on the floor and ran to the shower. Our kitty Mikey must have jumped on one of those little buzzing critters because he too got bit on the face. He was o.k. but I felt so bad for him. The bites really stung and burned for several days. Poor Mikey.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:25 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In awe of TV View Post
So sorry to hear about the bites Gracie and unfortunately I don't have any sage advise. However, just as a warning the site you posted is riddled with viruses. I wouldn't suggest that anyone open it. : \

Good luck with the bites, I hope they heal quickly and painlessly.
How do you tell?? I'm not that computer savvy!!!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:54 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
How do you tell?? I'm not that computer savvy!!!
Unfortunately you have to open it and then pray that your firewall and virus protection is up to date and catches it.

FYI: When anyone opens a link to a infected site, they should notify admin immediately so that they can take the appropriate action and prevent anyone else from getting affected.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:24 PM

Next time you encounter those little buggers, first thing you do is put mouthwash on a rag and wipe the area. The antiseptic in the monthwash takes away the pain and itch. Then do nothing. Don't even thing of trying to pop them. Worst thing ever, scares for life.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:29 PM

Don't want to alarm anyone but just wanted to say that my sister-in-law died from fire ant bites. She went into Anaphylactic shock and within a day she passed away. Just want to let people know that if they start getting any shortness of breath after being bit, take a benydryl immediately and get to the hospital. She had gotten bitten numerous times over the few years with the usual itching, swelling, pussy bumps but that was it.

Most that get bit just have the itching, etc, but I just wanted to let you know that these ants can kill..just like bee and wasp bites...

They are tiny but watch out!!!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:15 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

In the pharmacy we would recommend as follows: Immediately wash the area and disinfect the area with either betadine or alcohol. Then, an oral antihistamine (benadryl if you can tolerate the drowsiness or Loratadine if you can't). Then, in the palm of your hand mix some cortisone ointment with some antibiotic ointment and apply and cover with a band-aid. If you choose to apply an antihistamine cream, then please be careful about taking an oral antihistamine. It is not recommended to do both.
If you are having any type of allergic reaction or swelling around your face or neck, go to the emergency room. If you have been bitten by more than just a few ants, see your MD as soon as possible. He will probably prescribe a medrol dosepak. Hope you feel better soon Gracie!!
Old 07-01-2012, 10:38 PM

Sorry about the bites Gracie. I can sympathize. In my experience I've just had to suffer the pain and itching through to the end (usually 3 weeks for me), then I end up w/a "nice" little scar as a reminder of each sting.

I did a little research on why it's so painful. They don't just bite you w/their mandibles like most ants....well, they DO bite w/their mandibles....but only so they can hang on while they sting and inject venom w/their tails!!! Ewwwww. Creepy little buggers!
Old 07-01-2012, 11:33 PM
Gold member

We use Absorbine Junior for red ant bites. Just rub it on with the applicator on the bottle. It takes the itching away immediiately. I'm not sure if it works on any other type of ant bite.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.