EYE SURGERY (LASIK)

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2007, 04:36 PM
Platinum member
Default EYE SURGERY (LASIK)

I've been wearing glasses for 45 years and have contemplated Lasik surgery. I know the technology has improved greatly but.... Not even sure of I'm a candidate. I know a few that have had the procedure that still where glasses to read which IMHO defeats the purpose to get the surgery to begin with. I can't see :edit: without my glasses and they are the first thing I grab when I get out of bed in the morning. If you've had this procedure have you had any problems?

Steve
Old 09-03-2007, 05:26 PM
Gold member
Default Re: EYE SURGERY (LASIK)

I had this done 7 years ago. Would do it again without any hesitation. I use glasses to read but my distance vision is great! I see golf balls 250 to 300 yards out that others say how can you see that ball. I went in and had it done and have had no adjustment since.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:31 PM

Steve.

I had Lasik in 1996 (age 42) as part of the FDA trial to get it the approval to offer it as a viable alternative to glasses in the US. At the time there was over 20 years of work with it in Saudi Arabia and Russia.
Anyhow, all went well and I went 7-8 years without glasses - amazing...able to drive, see in the shower, see the clock on the bedside when I woke up. I elected to have both eyes corrected completely as there is an option to allow one eye to stay nearsighted and basically prevent the need for reading glasses. In the last 3 years, they are now able to do a new laser procedure to correct for that as well. In the last 2 years, my vision started to flounder and is now failing to the point of where I am wearing glasses again. I would still recommend lasik as I am again wearing glasses, but not to the extent of before. I can still move around comfortably in the house without them where as pre lasik, I could not do anything.

As the technology has greatly improved since the FDA trial, please investigate the latest information as I was part of the trial to make it available. I had mine done at Emory (Atlanta).
Zug, Switzerland
Usingen, Germany
Woodstock, GA
Old 09-11-2007, 07:30 PM

Had lasik in 2001. I was at outer limit of correction that was possible at the time. Dr said I'd need reading glasses when done. I do. I have 20/25 in one eye and significantly poorer in another eye. Overall I'm glad I had it done. I only wear glasses for reading. I do a lot of sports including tennis, swimming and golf and do not need glasses and see just fine. Great not having lenses to fog up playing tennis and seeing where I'm going when swimming.

I took effort to ensure I had experienced top notch Dr. In 2001 there were some Dr's struggling with Lasik. I found a top rated dr that did a lot of corrections from other Dr's mistakes. I sure would make sure the Dr is experienced. Also you should ask about success/failure rates.

One downside of Lasik I just heard. I know have cataracts and the lens implants for cataracts are more complicated due to the Lasik surgery. In addition, they can not insert lens perfect for reading and distance. I'll still need reading glasses.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:40 AM
Veteran member

I've had laser surgery done about 12 years ago. Beforehand I was almost legally blind without glasses. Now one eye is 20/20 and other about 20/40 . I live a very active lifestyle and I'm not sure I could without the surgery.
No second thoughts at all . GO FOR IT :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup: :bigthumbsup:
Old 09-12-2007, 11:00 AM
Banned

Had the procedure done in August 2001 and swear by it.

That being said, who does it is very important. When it comes to my eyes, I'm a cautious soul. Florida Eye Clinic did my eyes, and that was only after 6 months of research. "Lasik-are-us" outfits are everywhere, and usually can be spotted by who does the evaluation - licensed physician board-certified or some low-level "assistant" who's pay is commission-based.

I know I paid more than what appears in newpaper and television advertisements, but I wasn't looking for the "lowest price" or a comparative rate. The only thing that mattered to me was that the best surgeon with the best medical support system IMMEDIATELY available at arms-length did the job.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:07 PM

I have worn glasses for over 60 years and was almost blind without them. I enquired about Lasik after my son had it and was amazed and thrilled with the result. At that point I found out that I had cataracts and that was large contributor to my poor night vision. I learned that Medicare paid for cataract surgery and could not believe it when the dopctor said that it would be just like lasik and my vision would be 20/20 or 20/40. He was right and have never looked back. I love going without glasses, wearing funky sunglasses :2cool:, and waking up and looking at the clock next to me without have to reach out and drag it to my face. I do use reading glasses but its well worth it for the joy of seeing so well.
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 01-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

My boy had it a year ago, he was legally blind, now 20/20 or better

I had radial keratotomy, the precursor, 22 years ago, it was fantastic, same as my boy,
however.. 20 years later, I now need reading glasses
Old 01-12-2008, 12:00 AM

Hi, I had Lasik about 5 years ago at age 52 and had worn either glasses or contacts since I was six years old. I also did not go for the best price but the best doctors. I had one eye done for distance and one for reading, starting to struggle with the reading again, sometime dry eyes can do that but I it was the best money and time I ever spent. Highly recommend you check it out and see what different dr can do for you. One told me I had too much stigmatizim and the one who did it said he could be successful.
I wore mono vision, one distance and one near contacts for many years before that, they will not generally do you eyes that way if you have not had the experience of using your eyes differently, some people cannot adjust. Go for it and check it out what do you have to lose to get an opinion. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Good luck
Old 01-17-2008, 11:57 PM

I had RK in both eyes about 15 years ago and lasik in my distance eye about 5 years ago. I was very pleased with the results from both. I would like to get an enhancement for distance and correct the astigmatism in my distance eye, but the physician said that because of the rk my eye is somewhat fragile. He also told me that when I develop cataracts he will be able to install a new lens (now in clinical trials in Utah I believe) that allows the physician to make periodic adjustments to the implanted lens very easily. So in that sense the future looks good for others like myself who have had both RK and Lasik. I might ad that when my lasik was done in my distance eye, it did not take into account that over time a farsightedness occurs. So, in retrospect, it might be good to allow for that if you have lasik for distance. In other words, perhaps go less than 20/20. You may wish to ask your physician if he will take into account the future change in your vision if you decide to have the lasik done. I think you should have it done as the results are wonderful and do get a well experienced physician even if you have to pay more.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:38 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: EYE SURGERY (LASIK) in TV area

Has anyone had Lasik at any of the local vision centers?

Comments, recommendations, damnations??????
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 01-19-2008, 07:32 AM
Sage

My 85 yr old mother had lasik a few years ago and can see and read without glasses. I sort of ****es me off some that I ask her to read something for me when my glasses aren't handy!

I just have been using readers for over 20 years but just started using glasses about four years ago and can still see good enough to drive without glasses if I had to (but I would never be able to pass the vision test without my glasses).

Since I can still see pretty good without glasses, even tho I wear them all the time, I think I'll hold off on the lasik a while longer.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.