The Flu Shot is Here

Closed Thread
Old 08-22-2023, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,912 Times in 918 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers999 View Post
My dad passed away from the flu so I get the shot every year. But I get jabbed in November because it only last for six months. I contacted the flu in March and one time in April, so I want it to be effective during those months when I travel more. My primary care didn't object to my regimen.
my mom, the nurse 24x7, and got her degree right after world war 2, says the same about the timing. She is now 96 with dementia, but has had the flu shot every year and has seldom been sick . . even as a nurse at a high school with all the kids.

I get it every year as well, and there must be a small amount of residual immunity from 30 years or so of flu shots, so rock on!

And for those that felt uncomfortable after a shot, its a small price to pay for immunity and protection. Just before leaving to go overseas on merchant ships while at the us merchant marine academy, you stepped through a door and an air gun hit each arm with all kinds of overseas immunity shots. . yeah, one year i was fine, another year i was slowed down for a couple of days. .

be thankful you live in modern times with modern medicine. . the last world wide flu victims were not so lucky
Old 08-22-2023, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,050 Times in 5,337 Posts

October for us at next DR appt. The older you get the more chance it will do serious harm or even kill you
Old 08-23-2023, 04:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie1 View Post
I never saw any of these promises
-you won't get Covid if you take the jab
-you won't spread covid if you take the jab
-etc

Your internist, I am sure, told you that your chances of getting a severe case with your then current health conditions are small. I doubt he told you NOT to get the booster.

What we were told is that they REDUCE THE CHANCE of getting a severe case and/or die. It was never even touted to be anywhere close to 100% effective.

The only thing that is right with this post is that they do take an educated guess on the Flu virus's that will be prevalent in the next year for the annual flu shot. If their educated guess is wrong and new strains appear, the flu shot would not be effective for these strains.
Try explaining to the conspiracy inclined that its a PUBLIC health issue, a percentage who are vaccinated will have reactions from not noticeable to severe even fatal, every year some die from infections due to minor surgical procedures , some will get sick even having been vaccinated, for most it will lower their risk, a less severe case if infected, they will less likely to transmit the virus making for better "herd immunity", people will read into statistics what they want to see, massage facts to fit . Flu shot is a best guess ? , perhaps but still a good idea for most
Old 08-23-2023, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mayes View Post
And from where did you get your medical degree?
Publix Pharmacy?

Tags
shot, flu, early, walgreens, today

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.