Flu Shots Now Available

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2020, 07:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,528 Times in 3,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spsmith444 View Post
My wife and I have never had a vaccine. We are not convinced we need them. We have practiced good common sense about what we touch, washing our hands regularly, and staying away from the sick. Now with COVID we see others are now doing for the most part what we have been practicing for years. Are we stupid and lucky?
You won't ever be convinced - unless you get sick. But by that point it'll be too late. I hope you don't ever get the flu. At the least, it's like a really bad cold. At the worst, it's deadly.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,590 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
You won't ever be convinced - unless you get sick. But by that point it'll be too late. I hope you don't ever get the flu. At the least, it's like a really bad cold. At the worst, it's deadly.
Not everyone can get a flu vaccine, I am anaphylactic, Haven’t ever had the flu, or a cold and yet still live.
Old 08-15-2020, 08:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,528 Times in 3,112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Not everyone can get a flu vaccine, I am anaphylactic, Haven’t ever had the flu, or a cold and yet still live.
You're very fortunate.
I hope you also don't ever get the flu. And I'm also glad that by getting vaccinated, I am contributing to your good health by reducing the risk of giving it to you
Old 08-15-2020, 09:37 PM
Default Not likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachykeengifts View Post
The CDC website says the flu vaccine will not be available this year until September. Maybe you got a leftover from last year?
Perhaps the ones they got were taken from another doctor because any flu virus will expire before the year is up. That is to say, if the 2020 regular flu shot is given as early as September, chances are they won't be manufacturing it right through the year, or you'll get shots from another source. They can't use a previous one from 2019 because it has expired.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,745 Times in 5,255 Posts

I just want to clarify that the CDC has not issued official guidance for this year's flu vaccine, even though the vaccine has been delivered to pharmacists and they have already administered the shot to hundreds or thousands of people. What is the CDC waiting for? They are unofficially recommending that "older people" wait until September to get the vaccine. But, pharmacists in The Villages apparently don't agree wiith the CDC because they have ordered the high dose vaccine for people over 65, and are giving it to them, and are not telling them to wait until September. So, who do you believe? I guess it is up to every individual to make their own decision.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Since social distancing has also decreased the incidence of upper respiratory infections, flu vaccinations may be even more important this year.

https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...228-post5.html
Old 08-16-2020, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,786 Times in 1,248 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Don’t ever get them, never had the flu, I’m happy to let someone else have mine
That's the position a good 55 yo friend of mine had. He was strong and healthy before the first time he got the flu.

Sadly his body over reacted him into penemonia and then sepsis. He died in the hospital 2 months later from multi organ failure. His family was devistated.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

The way I look at it is if you don't want to get a flu shot that's OK. I will be getting one,and if you come down with the flu it's not my problem. No big deal.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:12 AM
Veteran member

Pharmacies like to give them early and offer incentives as does Publix. Ask any physician when the best time is to get a flu vaccine and they will tell you mid-October. There is science behind the timing.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by panamachica View Post
If we are socially distancing and wearing masks why would we need to get a flu shot? Just wondering.
The vaccine currently being discussed in this thread is for the seasonal flu. The vaccine that is offered every year to protect us, at least partially from the ever changing bugs that start infecting us in the fall and usually peak in early winter. We have chosen to be immunized, on the advice of our physician for years. We are also immunized against three kinds of pneumonia and the shingles.(Herpes Zoster) Our very much younger grandchildren were given all vaccines against childhood diseases and against cervical cancer that can be given to both sexes now at age 12. We trust traditional medicine and our mothers who said an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

I am so sad and angry that undocumented rumors have shifted the previous prevailing use of immunization to a political battlefield.
Old 08-16-2020, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,517 Posts

I am glad they have a flu shot for folks that want it. My wife gets it on the advice of her doctor. I haven't had a flu shot in 50 years and have never had the flu. My preference. If I get the flu and die it is of no consequence to anyone other than myself and maybe my family. No one expects to live forever and I am glad they don't. We are already over populating this planet so something has to thin out the herd. I don't care whether or not anyone else gets the shot. Pump all those drugs and crap into your body for all I care. Yes, I did get my free pneumonia shot before entering the hospital for an operation. And yes I did get the shingles shot when our neighbor that frequents our home had shingles. BUT, I have had childhood mumps, several different measles, as well as other childhood diseases. Traveling overseas for the gov. mandated that I have all kinds of plague shots as well as yellow fever, diphtheria, etc. I had rabies shots when I was bitten by a rat overseas. So, I am not adverse to required shots, but since I firmly believe that I don't get the flu and since I haven't even had a cold in over a decade, I won't get the flu shot. If I get the flu and die, you can say "I told you so" but it won't matter to me, will it? And I get my shots free, so it is not a matter of cost. I just don't see any reason to have that crap injected into me to later find out that "ooops" bad batch.
Old 08-16-2020, 03:24 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Special snowflakes who never get sick and never get vaccines aside...

The flu vaccines are year-specific. Last year the CDC recommended holding off a little while to get it, because they were expecting the season to start late. The vaccines don't just have a shelf life (how long they can stay in the vial before it has to be thrown away) but they also have a half-life (how long it takes to wear off in your body until it's only 50% as effective as it was when it was injected).

Yes it can last up to 9 months. But it starts losing its effectiveness several months sooner than that. If the flu season is expected to begin in November, and last as late as March, and you get the shot this week - in mid August..

It means it'll be 2 months in when flu season starts. By the end of flu season you'll have been vaccinated for 7 months and your vaccine will be less than 50% as potent as it was when you got it.

If you wait til September or early October, you stand a much better chance of enduring the flu for the entire season.

ON THE OTHER HAND - if the CDC says this year's going to be an early season - then get it ASAP.

It really depends on the year.
Sounds like the "snowflakes" are the ones that NEED or feel entitled to the gov nanny. Why do you consider healthy people that choose not to get a vaccine, to be "snowflakes?" Elitists are snowflakes. Those that think they are smarter/more educated than others are snowflakes.

I have absolutely no problem with anyone else getting the vaccine. I just choose not to because I do not feel it to be necessary in my case. I am careful and diligent when it comes to recognizing disease threats around me. I have lived overseas for most of my life so I am familiar with dangerous diseases and how to use preventative measures to avoid infection. I do not believe that I should be labeled a "snowflake."
Old 08-17-2020, 03:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
I am glad they have a flu shot for folks that want it. My wife gets it on the advice of her doctor. I haven't had a flu shot in 50 years and have never had the flu. My preference. If I get the flu and die it is of no consequence to anyone other than myself and maybe my family. No one expects to live forever and I am glad they don't. We are already over populating this planet so something has to thin out the herd. I don't care whether or not anyone else gets the shot. Pump all those drugs and crap into your body for all I care. Yes, I did get my free pneumonia shot before entering the hospital for an operation. And yes I did get the shingles shot when our neighbor that frequents our home had shingles. BUT, I have had childhood mumps, several different measles, as well as other childhood diseases. Traveling overseas for the gov. mandated that I have all kinds of plague shots as well as yellow fever, diphtheria, etc. I had rabies shots when I was bitten by a rat overseas. So, I am not adverse to required shots, but since I firmly believe that I don't get the flu and since I haven't even had a cold in over a decade, I won't get the flu shot. If I get the flu and die, you can say "I told you so" but it won't matter to me, will it? And I get my shots free, so it is not a matter of cost. I just don't see any reason to have that crap injected into me to later find out that "ooops" bad batch.
Just so everyone knows, you CANNOT get shingles from a person who has them. Herpes Zoster is a reactivation of the chicken pox virus you had years ago and lied dormant in your dorsal root ganglia. That is why the "rash" occurs on one side and in one dermatome with only a few exceptions. You CAN get chicken pox from an individual with shingles if you never had them
Old 08-17-2020, 07:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Just so everyone knows, you CANNOT get shingles from a person who has them. Herpes Zoster is a reactivation of the chicken pox virus you had years ago and lied dormant in your dorsal root ganglia. That is why the "rash" occurs on one side and in one dermatome with only a few exceptions. You CAN get chicken pox from an individual with shingles if you never had them
"You can spread the varicella zoster virus to people who’ve never had chickenpox and haven’t been vaccinated." -- WebMD
Old 08-17-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,914 Times in 4,142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
"You can spread the varicella zoster virus to people who’ve never had chickenpox and haven’t been vaccinated." -- WebMD
Isn't that what I just said?
Closed Thread

Tags
flu, shot, toilet, months, ago

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.