Foot Drop

Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2023, 08:20 PM
Veteran member
Default Foot Drop

Does anyone use a nearby doctor who treats foot drop please.

Thanks
Old 03-12-2023, 09:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkei View Post
Does anyone use a nearby doctor who treats foot drop please.

Thanks
Can’t recommend a doctor as my foot drop was treated, and cured, up north. However, my advise would be to get an EMG test to pinpoint the cause of the nerve block causing the issue. Doctors seem to assume the cause is a pinched nerve in the lower back, and are quick to want to cut your back. The EMG test I had showed the perineal nerve running along the outside of my right knee was entrapped. I had a neurosurgeon at Brigham and Women’s in Boston release the entrapped nerve 14 years ago and the foot drop was totally cured. Whatever you do, do it fast. The longer the nerve is compromised, the less chance it will fully recover. Good luck, foot drop sucks.
Old 03-12-2023, 12:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,277 Times in 4,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Can’t recommend a doctor as my foot drop was treated, and cured, up north. However, my advise would be to get an EMG test to pinpoint the cause of the nerve block causing the issue. Doctors seem to assume the cause is a pinched nerve in the lower back, and are quick to want to cut your back. The EMG test I had showed the perineal nerve running along the outside of my right knee was entrapped. I had a neurosurgeon at Brigham and Women’s in Boston release the entrapped nerve 14 years ago and the foot drop was totally cured. Whatever you do, do it fast. The longer the nerve is compromised, the less chance it will fully recover. Good luck, foot drop sucks.
Excellent advice...

But just one nit to pick... It was the "peroneal" nerve, NOT the "perineal" nerve...

Huge difference... HUGE!

-Tom Petty
Old 03-12-2023, 12:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

i've had it for years, & dr's say it's a common result of a fusion. many have said it can be fixed without surgery, so far i haven't found anyone to really treat it, & end up living with it all these years
Old 03-12-2023, 02:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,087 Times in 2,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Excellent advice...

But just one nit to pick... It was the "peroneal" nerve, NOT the "perineal" nerve...

Huge difference... HUGE!
Dam spellcheck changed it on me.
Closed Thread

Tags
foot, drop, nearby, doctor, treats

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.