Full knee arthroplasty - Dr Nguyen Lateral entry

Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2013, 12:24 AM
Veteran member
Default Full knee arthroplasty - Dr Nguyen Lateral entry

After a few years of hobbling around I finally decided to have Dr Nguyen do my full knee replacement. It was a 4 month waiting period and I had it on Thursday (12/19/13 ) at Altamonte Springs Florida Hospital by Dr Nguyen. Prior to surgery we attended his seminar on his procedure and talked to at least 6 of his patients in Post op.

I'll share with you how its going for me so far >> Great.

His procedure through the side instead of the front spares a key muscle and significantly reduces the recovery period and pain.

I'll give you a brief report on how it went for me if you would like more information give me a call 607 754-1550.

Surgery was a little over an hour. I went in about 1pm and came out of recovery about 4:30. I was able to walk around the surgery unit (about 600 ft) that night without pain.

Next day I went into PT and it went great, very little pain (about a 1 or at most 2 out of 10). I was released that day after 1 night in the hospital and didn't really feel like I needed to stay longer. They made sure I could get into and out of a car and walk a few steps.

Day 2 was at home and the home nurse came and Physical Therapy. I was put on a CPM machine for 2x 1 1/2hrs each day. I remained in very little pain and was able to walk both inside and outside without a walker.

Day 3 pain level actually went down, I was expecting it to go up after the anesthesia wore off (He uses a long lasting anesthesia)

I Don't want to mislead anyone, I have to be careful on movements and getting up from chairs and can't play Pickle ball, golf or dance yet. But so far the way its going I'm very hopeful in a month or so.

I expected a good experience based on the patients I talked to but my experience exceeded, in a good way, what I had expected. Of course its not over till its over but based on my first few days I'm very hopeful.

BTW the hospital was very good and they gave us a private room with a couch that my wife could sleep on. It takes about 1 hr 10 minutes from The Villages to the Hospital. Dr Nguyen sees his patients in an office by Home Depot off Rt 441 every friday.

Nurses call him a miracle doctor and I'll 2nd that opinion.

I understand that the waiting period is now 5 months.

Jerry

Last edited by dadspet; 12-23-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:37 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656
Default Knee

Great to hear.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:52 PM
Veteran member

Week 2 post op and I had my knee stitches out ( real easy ). My Knee continues to progress well and do not need to use a walker and can place full weight on it. despite a set back.

Day 5 post op I developed a temp of 102. I went to The Villages emergency room and was transported by ambulance to Alamanta Springs hospital for further evaluation by Dr Nguyen. Bottom line was the temp had nothing to with the knee surgery but Dr Nguyen identified a issue with my colon and called in a general surgeon and full surgery team on Christmas day to perform an emergency surgery. I returned back home to the Villages on NYs eve and am now on the path to recovery from that surgery. I think I was fortunate that Dr Nguyen took complete charge of my case and located the source of the infection even though it had nothing to do with my knee. I can now tell you abdomen surgery isn't easy, especially if you just had a knee replaced, but hopefully I'm now on the path to recovery, feeling a little better each day and now able to walking around pretty good. I kind of wish I didn't have to post this and felt uneasy doing so but I felt after my initial post I should let others know unexpected complications can result and it was important to know what kind of follow up response you might receive.
Oh well, it looks like no Pickle ball, golf or dancing for at least a few more weeks yet.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:59 PM
Gold member

Thank you for posting. I know I will need mine done in the future and it's good to hear about other experiences and their doctors.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 01-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Send a message via AIM to LynnDeb

Thank you for sharing, glad you found a good Dr. and your on the mend!!
Old 01-04-2014, 09:01 PM
Sage

I attended a seminar held by Dr. Nyugen last year and was impressed with his protocol. In 2006 I had a Total Knee Replacement elsewhere and had complications as a result (nothing to do directly with the surgery). I'm happy that Dr. Nyugen was there for you to determine the cause of your complications and to help resolve them. My MD performed good knee surgery but, after that, I was on my own. Good for Dr. Nuygen that he cares for his patients and thank you for sharing your experience.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.