Getting an X ray

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2022, 12:11 PM
Default Getting an X ray

I had a recent fall. I went in with a swollen foot, hurting knee and hip. I was told due to insurance requirements, I had to pick a part to be x rayed. I choose the foot as it was swollen the worst. I was told if I wanted other areas checked, I would have to make other appointments for each. Has anyone else ran into this?
Old 04-28-2022, 12:33 PM
Sage

Was this your primary care physician or an urgent care provider?

Our experiences don't matter. What does matter is the insurance you have. The best next step is for you to call your insurance company and ask if what you were told is true.
Old 04-28-2022, 01:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,179 Times in 835 Posts

I agree you need to call your insurance company, but it makes NO sense and frankly what you were told would make a lovely res ipsa loquitur case for malpractice should you suffer any harm from a delay in treatment of the area not Xrayed. Of course a doctor can treat without knowing what an Xray shows as most injuries are never imaged.

It is possible that your insurance only pays 100% of its allowed on the first imaged area and a lower rate on each additional area. This makes some sense as part of the cost of the image is prepping and cleaning the room, which is not done twice for two films, and the time of getting the patient in and out, again not repeated. So the radiology payment may be lower for a knee and a foot done in one visit. Making you come back gives greater income for the office, maybe.

That is NOT the same as the insurance won't pay. You needed the care. If a doctor ordered all the films to be done, then it should be done whatever the cost. If the facility has an agreement to accept insurance, then they accept whatever the payment after your deductible and copay.

Please come back and tell us, who decided you needed to have all areas Xrayed? Just because you were hurt does not mean you need each part Xrayed. In fact a good exam will often tell the doctor that the likelihood of additional information from an Xray changing the management is extremely low. No need to radiate you or increase the cost of medical care to the system.

When all else fails, examine the patient.
Old 04-28-2022, 04:06 PM

Where did you go? Who goes to an imaging office and requests an XRAY without seeing a physician? Seems like your doctor should be making the appropriate requests.
Closed Thread

Tags
told, foot, swollen, wanted, areas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.