The Good Old Days vs Nowadays

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2012, 11:07 AM
Sage
Default The Good Old Days vs Nowadays

Gracie's earlier posted hyperlink needs repeating and reading........

Pure food obsession is latest eating disorder | Society | The Observer

I've noticed this for the past twenty years at least.

Prior to this trend, people were not so fussy about what they consumed.

We've seen the type of folks "in action" who are mentioned in this article.
It does strike the average folks as "unnaturally" preoccupied with WHAT NOT TO EAT.

Common sense should rule. At a wedding or festive event it will not kill anyone to indulge occasionally in normal meals..........most event hosts are not going to indulge the seeds and nuts crowd by serving total caveman diet at a large wedding, for instance.

Often buffet "stations" are set up to oblige most people's tastes; yet we still hear, "Oh, I can't eat this " or "Oh, I can't touch that". It's like a new religion.

Years ago it was beef or chicken with the typical sides.....but even now, with buffet stations hoping to please the masses, still we hear the grumblers. Go figure.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Gracie's earlier posted hyperlink needs repeating and reading........

Pure food obsession is latest eating disorder | Society | The Observer

I've noticed this for the past twenty years at least.

Prior to this trend, people were not so fussy about what they consumed.

We've seen the type of folks "in action" who are mentioned in this article.
It does strike the average folks as "unnaturally" preoccupied with WHAT NOT TO EAT.

Common sense should rule. At a wedding or festive event it will not kill anyone to indulge occasionally in normal meals..........most event hosts are not going to indulge the seeds and nuts crowd by serving total caveman diet at a large wedding, for instance.

Often buffet "stations" are set up to oblige most people's tastes; yet we still hear, "Oh, I can't eat this " or "Oh, I can't touch that". It's like a new religion.

Years ago it was beef or chicken with the typical sides.....but even now, with buffet stations hoping to please the masses, still we hear the grumblers. Go figure.
In previous posts we debated the value of people who strive to live healthy lifestyles vs. people who don't. And you said something to the effect that people who supposedly did everything right lived shorter lives. In retrospect, would you now say that they were malnourished Orthorexics? And, if so, wouldn't that mean that they didn't do everything right?

That was exactly my contention, that they thought they were doing everything right but were, in some way, harming themselves.

The link you provided almost seems like some unknown writer was paid by the processed food industry to cast doubt on those who are trying to be healthy. After all, the article offered no advice as to how one would determine the difference between a truly healthy diet and the diet of one who has an eating disorder. So what is the value of such an article other than to tell people not to put too much emphasis on trying to eat a healthy diet? Some people might relax any restrictions they now have and still end up malnourished.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.